Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

October 1st: No cell phone while driving law goes into effect in MD

MattFancy

Now I do agree with that, what is the difference between holding the phone and using a hands free device? Is it because you can't have both hands on the wheel? I see tons of people that drive with only one hand, I'm one of them.

I see tons of people turning their head to talk to the person next to them, eating, putting on makeup, READING :doh:, looking at the something on the side of the road, or just so lost in their own world with no visible cause of distraction that they cut people off and/or cause accidents.

People were dying because of distracted driving long before cell phones came around. The bottom line is that you have good driving habits or you don't. Either you are prone to distraction or not. Focusing on one particular distraction is just narrow minded.

People were dying because of distracted driving long before cell phones came around. The bottom line is that you have good driving habits or you don't. Either you are prone to distraction or not. Focusing on one particular distraction is just narrow minded.

The thing I see with phones is much like alcohol some people are addicted to the things. They just can't help themselves and they are dangerous. I think in the end it will be treated like Drunk Driving.

Funny thing is that a new study has shown that bans on cell phones lead to no decrease in accidents

Cell Phone Bans Don't Decrease Accidents, Study Says

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123084040

As I've said before. Cell phones are demonized because they are identifiable when people drive with one to their ear. They are no more of a distraction than reaching for gum or turning your head to talk to the person next to you. IT'S THE PEOPLE who don't focus who are the problem.

Think about this. If you live in a place without a ban and look, you will see twenty drivers a day on the phone in their cars. AT LEAST. I've sat at a light and watched three or four cars in a row go by with the driver holding a phone to their ear. With as many phones as you see, and with the way cell phones are portrayed you would think there would be an accident at every street corner.

Did anyone see the mythbusters cell phone test? They re-created one of the widely used studies by ban advocates using the same method. It was ridiculous. At one point as the driver was navigating a tight path through cones they were asking the driver for the answer to a math question. How ******** stupid do you have to be to think that the phone is more of a problem for the driver than trying to do calculations in your head while driving a tight course? But it's not really a matter of stupidity. It's a matter of prejudice. People have made their minds up and created studies with the goal of proving their theories. Don't believe me? From the link I posted...

In other words, they don't even want to consider data that conflicts with their pre-conceived notions.

Now before anyone gets their panties in a wad. I really don't have a problem with banning hand held use but there has to be a responsible limitation to it's application. It may be a necessary evil to help keep the PEOPLE who are stupid enough to do something like texting or dialing at speed and/or in traffic (which are the real problems) from at least one common distraction. I'm just saying that we need to focus more on the driver than the object.

Mike, I couldnt agree more with you on this. I've always hated the "pass a law because it sounds good " mentality. We always seem to pass laws that reiterate more generic laws already on the books

I think a simple approach of reckless driving is just as effective.

Archived