Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I like that Tommy can find young cheap talent off the scrap heap mid season that Ernie couldn’t find with over priced contracts.  Think about how hard a time Ernie had finding back up guards and young bigs.  Tommy snapped his fingers and Gary Payton II and Pasecniks sprang into existence.  

That said, Knicks should be embarrassed to find themselves losing late to four NBA players and a GLeague team.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Anyone that doesn't draft Wiseman with the first pick should lose their job immediately. 

I’m not sure about that.  He’s a low skill center, with a frame that out shines his game right now.  A really big body with good defensive instincts is valuable, but not the top tier skill set you want in a 1st overall pick.  Wiseman being projected number 1 at this point suggests this is a weak draft class.

59 minutes ago, Destino said:

I’m not sure about that.  He’s a low skill center, with a frame that out shines his game right now.  A really big body with good defensive instincts is valuable, but not the top tier skill set you want in a 1st overall pick.  Wiseman being projected number 1 at this point suggests this is a weak draft class.

I would disagree that he's low skill. He has a good jump shot with a bit of range and shoots FTs well. Combine that with good defensive and rebounding instincts at age 18, while being 7'1 and 240, and that's something that a lot of teams would love to have. I'm not saying he's Lebron or on that level and I view almost no one as can't miss, but, to your point, there is no one else in college basketball that stands out as a top pick.  There are probably 4 teams (currently in the lottery) that would maybe go with a guard instead: Suns, Wolves, Pelicans, Pistons. I can't see any other team passing on him. 

Edited by Hersh

2 hours ago, Hersh said:

I would disagree that he's low skill. He has a good jump shot with a bit of range and shoots FTs well. Combine that with good defensive and rebounding instincts at age 18, while being 7'1 and 240, and that's something that a lot of teams would love to have. I'm not saying he's Lebron or on that level and I view almost no one as can't miss, but, to your point, there is no one else in college basketball that stands out as a top pick.  There are probably 4 teams (currently in the lottery) that would maybe go with a guard instead: Suns, Wolves, Pelicans, Pistons. I can't see any other team passing on him. 

By today's standard he's fairly low on the skill chart.  The league is filled with bigs that can dribble pass shoot and create now.  Wiseman has a mediocre short range jump shot and can pass out of double teams.  No polish to his offensive game at all.  If he's going to be a #1 overall pick he has to be compared to other top 5ish centers right?  Well that puts him in company with Embiid, Ayton, Porzingas, and KAT.  All of those players were far more highly "skilled" than Wiseman is.  At least as far as we know. 

Who knows what he can come up with spending a year preparing for the NBA.  It's not impossible that he shows up around draft time with an three point shot.  Kawhi Leonard apparently taught himself to shoot threes between the end of his college career and the start of his NBA life, so it's at least possible.  

I'm not saying he's bad, or that the Wizards don't need an athletic defensive and rebounding center, I'm just saying that his scouting profile doesn't make him an absolute lock at #1.  Someone could sneak ahead of him. 

9 hours ago, Hersh said:

Anyone that doesn't draft Wiseman with the first pick should lose their job immediately. 

Really depends on what a team needs/values. If you need a PG, LaMelo will be the guy with his size, playmaking and better jumpshot than Lonzo. If you need a 2 guard, Anthony edwards from Georgia will be the guy

Wiseman would be perfect for us, but this aint a Zion/AD type that you just take and work the rest out later. Wiseman will need coaches who can help him develop, i'm still not sold on our ability to develop a big man

8 hours ago, Destino said:

By today's standard he's fairly low on the skill chart.  The league is filled with bigs that can dribble pass shoot and create now.  Wiseman has a mediocre short range jump shot and can pass out of double teams.  No polish to his offensive game at all.  If he's going to be a #1 overall pick he has to be compared to other top 5ish centers right?  Well that puts him in company with Embiid, Ayton, Porzingas, and KAT.  All of those players were far more highly "skilled" than Wiseman is.  At least as far as we know. 

Who knows what he can come up with spending a year preparing for the NBA.  It's not impossible that he shows up around draft time with an three point shot.  Kawhi Leonard apparently taught himself to shoot threes between the end of his college career and the start of his NBA life, so it's at least possible.  

I'm not saying he's bad, or that the Wizards don't need an athletic defensive and rebounding center, I'm just saying that his scouting profile doesn't make him an absolute lock at #1.  Someone could sneak ahead of him. 

3 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Really depends on what a team needs/values. If you need a PG, LaMelo will be the guy with his size, playmaking and better jumpshot than Lonzo. If you need a 2 guard, Anthony edwards from Georgia will be the guy

Wiseman would be perfect for us, but this aint a Zion/AD type that you just take and work the rest out later. Wiseman will need coaches who can help him develop, i'm still not sold on our ability to develop a big man

All good and fair points. Maybe there is a Euro out there too that someone is going to think is the next Doncic type. If, and it's always a big IF, he has good people around him, he should really benefit from focusing on getting ready for the NBA now. It does suck for the NCAA tournament to see if he would have dominated as the competition got better. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

All good and fair points. Maybe there is a Euro out there too that someone is going to think is the next Doncic type. If, and it's always a big IF, he has good people around him, he should really benefit from focusing on getting ready for the NBA now. It does suck for the NCAA tournament to see if he would have dominated as the competition got better. 

Top internationals this year are Deni Avdija, 6'8 wing, and theo maledon, a 6'5 pg.

I know nothing of Maledon, and i've only seen highlights of Avdija. He's got some playmaking abilities for his size, seems to have great vision for passing. Neither of the two are in Doncic's realm though from what i've read

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

he's also 5th in distance traveled. its a bad recipe

I’m sure the new brain trust is right on it. While I will always take them over EG, this is the kind of thing that makes me skeptical of ever succeeding. No one should be playing huge minutes this season for the Wiz. It’s just common sense. 

• Like 1

If Wall’s in “the lab” the last thing I care about are stylish dunks.  Let’s see something useful and new.  A floater and a three point shot would be nice.  Some spot up shooting would really be nice, because whatever version of Wall comes back, he needs to play without the ball too.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Destino said:

If Wall’s in “the lab” the last thing I care about are stylish dunks.  Let’s see something useful and new.  A floater and a three point shot would be nice.  Some spot up shooting would really be nice, because whatever version of Wall comes back, he needs to play without the ball too.  

I agree with your point, but it is good to see that he still apparently has his explosion. if he can still change speeds, he will still have some value.