Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Old School: 1984 NFL Today

DieselPwr44

Portis will likely pass Riggo, but the Diesel will always be No. 1 to me. Portis has stats. Riggins has memories.

I'd agree with this for the most part but again I always wonder why it's a knock on CP and a credit to Riggins with regards to the "memories" they provided rather than just a simple fact that Riggins played on a far superior team?

Any "memories" of Riggins between 1976-1981 or 1985?

Nope

Certainly nothing that trumps the memories CP has delivered.

What you're talking about is a very special mini-era of Skins football from 1982 (for Riggins really the 82 playoffs since he didn't do much of anything of note in the regular season that year) through 1984. 41 regular season games and 8 playoff games.

A time when the entire TEAM provided memories that no Redskin team has seen or provided since the early days of Baugh and certainly not since.

So while I certainly agree that the memories of that time outlast and trump anything that the Redskins have done since, to single out Riggins vs. Portis is unfair.

If we want to be accurate, CP's run in 2005 is better than Riggins' run to close out 1984. Both carried the team on their back but CP did it longer (5 games). Both did so despite not being healthy and both did not do much in the post season of those respective seasons.

So what we've widdled this down to is Riggins had a magical run in the 82 playoffs and a historic season in 83 when he punched in 24 TDs as the Redskins had perhaps their finest regular season ever. CP does not have that 23 game stretch on his resume. Of course, if one is at all interested in being fair, CP has yet to enjoy playing for a team with the Oline Riggins had, nor the passing game, nor a defense that forced a record number of turnovers that Riggins had that set up most, if not all of his 24 TDs.

As for the video, what is funny is how Riggins talks about not playing anymore if he feels like he does at that point and then a year later when the Redskins did go out and get his replacement, Riggins all of a sudden was interested in playing and playing and acted the baby when the Redskins moved on and going with George Rogers full time.

Archived