Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Free Safety Help

Snarky

Even if we wanted to pick up somebody tomorrow, is there anybody even remotely good available?

I can barely think of 3 starting Safeties in the entire league that would stand a chance against Andre in that situation.

There are no safeties EDIT[available] that can cover Andre Johnson 1-on-1.

Or maybe it's the fact that we have LaRon playing now where he needs to be (what a beast) but we lack the ability to shut the other team down when we need to. Romo sits to pee and Schaub merely exposed us.

If LaRon wasn't hurt there's no doubt he would have been in deep coverage not Doughty.

Question would he have been able to cover Johnson?

I can barely think of 3 starting Safeties in the entire league that would stand a chance against Andre in that situation.

There are no safeties that can cover Andre Johnson 1-on-1.

If LaRon wasn't hurt there's no doubt he would have been in deep coverage not Doughty.

Question would he have been able to cover Johnson?

I know one guy who would have been able to cover Andre Johnson in that situation.

*sigh*

RIP 21.

Still missed in more ways than one.

Can't Kevin Barnes play FS? I don't see how he could be any worse than Doughty.

I really think this should be seriously considered. Barnes has the speed to get sideline to sideline, the height to compete for the ball, and has been a fairly hard hitter for a CB. Not to mention that he has looked much better in zone coverage than man to man. He should begin to learn the FS position so he could step in if Moore gets injured towards the end of the year, because it would obviously take him a while to get comfortable. I think he could definitely be better than Doughty or Horton who simply don't have the requisite cover skills to defend the deep ball.

I know another guy. Ryan Clark.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Everyone talks about the disaster of the past decade under Snyder in terms of the stupid free agent acquisitions, but the flip side to that is all the gems we let walk. Ryan Clark and Antonio Pierce are the two that stand out in my mind.

But back to the thread topic--it seems to me that we should move Doughty to backup SS, and make Horton the primary backup FS (once Kareem's back). I've always thought Horton is better in coverage than Doughty, but Doughty's the sure-tackler, and those are two of the most important qualities in a FS and SS, respectively. I still wish we had made a play for OJ Atogwe. His asking price may have been a little high, but our defense would be real strong up the middle with him (London, Laron, Atogwe).

Archived