Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis is proof that training camp competition is essential

Bacon

I know the man didn't exactly rack up Chris Thomas numbers tonight, but Clinton Portis shone as brightly for me as he has in years. His average was acceptable, sure, and it hasn't been in a very long time, but it was his intensity that impressed me. Perhaps I simply forgot how intense the man can be on the field, but he was everywhere. Crisp blocking, great awareness, palpable passion. Plus, the Cowboy run D is formidable, so I expect his numbers to improve. As long as he applies himself, I believe he still has something left in the tank. The competition that acquiring Larry Johnson and Willie Parker offered Portis clearly lit a fire under him, and I think that will carry over. The offense will put it together, and individual efforts matter a great deal.

Anyway, I dunno, on a night as dark as this, a night where we keep the Cowboys' offense to 7 points and pull out a win, I figured some optimism would be necessary.

A RB is only as good as his OL. Our OL hasnt gotten their run blocking in order yet. When they do, Portis will be solid. What separates Portis is his intensity and his passion. CP26 brings it every play. He hit anything that moves, he throws his body at DLman when there is no hole and he kneels on the sideline helmet in hand watching his defense play like a loving brother. I wouldnt trade Portis for AP and CJ. The guy is a redskin, through and through. If you dont see that, that I suggest you watch Tennis from now on...

Archived