Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can Parcells win or turn around the Cowgirls without Bill Belichick?

goldenster95

Richard Oliver: But can Bill Parcells turn around the Cowboys without Bill Belichick at his side?

Web Posted : 08/24/2003 12:00 AM

Parcells, the gritty Joisey guy, coming down south to wear the hated silver star and work for the slickest performer since Wayne Newton donned sequins? It was a marriage scripted by Dante.

Still, several months into the arrangement, there are indications that Parcells and Jones have settled into a comfortable working relationship. All that means, however, is that things off the field are as smooth as possible.

On the sideline, the future looks cloudier. Parcells left San Antonio in need of a proven quarterback, effective running back and reliable pass rush.

And Bill Belichick.

When mapping out the Cowboys' chances of resurrection, most of the spotlight has shown on the relationship between Jones and Parcells, whose oversized egos are expected to conflict and chafe like the inside of Larry Allen's uniform pants. The real concern for Dallas, however, is far less theatrical.

Simply, it's this: Belichick is head coach at New England. Parcells is in Dallas. Which leaves the Tuna in foreign waters.

In the 10 seasons the men worked together, Belichick as the rigid defensive backbone for Parcells' clubs, they teamed for a 105-54 record, including six playoff campaigns, three conference championships and two Super Bowl titles. In Parcells' five years as a head coach without Little Bill on his staff, he is 33-46-1, with no postseason victories.

While Mike Zimmer, Dallas' current coordinator, has showcased creativity in fielding a competitive unit, no one has accused him of genius.

Instead, that brand can be found stamped on Belichick's résumé, next to words like innovative and revolutionary. The Patriots coach, like Parcells, is driven to excellence to the point of being maniacal, a focused mercenary who ranks football right up there with oxygen and water.

That singular passion for the game has drawn the men together, time and again, through careers that have intersected with the Giants, Patriots and Jets. Though never particularly close away from the competition, they were remarkably in tune during it, Parcells as a master motivator spurring the troops and Belichick as the mad scientist orchestrating them.

Belichick's decision to employ a unique 2-3-6 alignment against the Bills in the 1991 Super Bowl, effectively hamstringing an explosive Buffalo offense that included Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas, is the stuff of legend. It was Giants 20, Bills 19 — and the true birth of The Tuna.

That was then, and likely will never be again.

"We've gone our separate ways," Belichick said a while back. He didn't say more.

And why should he? Belichick made a big enough statement at New England two years ago when he accomplished something Parcells has not: won an NFL title without the other. That was the true birth of Belichick.

Now the former background player is in charge of the Pats' operation, has a contract that runs through 2006 and a stable corps of assistants that include several heavyweights from Parcells' former staffs.

He's moved on — and up. Parcells has moved on — and into the greatest challenge of his career.

The only truly familiar face with him now is ex-Giant Maurice Carthon, now Cowboys offensive coordinator. As a result, Parcells finds himself instructing assistants, as well as players, on what he demands.

And that is plenty. And it will take time.

When it's done, we'll see whether the secret to Parcells' success is prowling the sideline in Dallas — or in New England.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

roliver@express-news.net

:dallasuck

You would think he has already turned them into a contender for 2003 with all the pre-season press the Boys have gotten! :dunce:

That is the NFL for you, they love it when there beloved America's Team does well becuase they are the NFL's most marketable franchise.

:bsflag:

Please don't say that ridiculous phrase, they have been America's joke to me since I lived in Austin and we kicked ass and they sucked. Can you imagine what a time I had with the yokels?

Parcells need to fall flat on his fat ass. The Cowhumpers will remain at the bottom of the division.

Richard Oliver

Belichick's decision to employ a unique 2-3-6 alignment against the Bills in the 1991 Super Bowl, effectively hamstringing an explosive Buffalo offense that included Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas, is the stuff of legend. It was Giants 20, Bills 19 — and the true birth of The Tuna.

Stuff of legend? If not for a missed field goal we wouldn't be talking about a Giant win now would we. The stuff of legend is facing the most dangerous of Buffalos 4 SB teams and for all except a quarter where we tried to coast a little and let them get a couple TD's, we SHUT THEM DOWN. No one point lucky win. Where's the love for Ritchie Pettibon?

Ax,

Buffalo was a favorite against the Giants. Belichek's defense did slow the Bills and keep the Giants in the game. We did blast them, but we were the better team and generally considered the favorite as at 14-2 we should have been by all rights :).

Petitbon DESTROYED them in the SB!!! He was the greatest Defensive Coordinator since... George Allen w/ the Bears.

Of course, Belichik allowed the Giants to do the unconceivable - win a SB with :puke: Jeff Hostetler :puke: Easily the worst QB to ever win a SB! (Dilfer doesn't even come close)

Art,

I felt like it was as the Giant offense eating up the clock that kept Buffalo from scoring more than the defense. Thurman Thomas was "wide right" of being MVP with a phenomenal game against them. Which he did not have against us.

My other point was, although I know we were the better team, I think the Buffalo team we faced was the best of their 4. If only for the fact that they felt like they were robbed by a missed field the year before and was out to prove it by kicking our a$$. I don't care about stats much. All I know is we did a better job at shutting down their offense than the Giants did. Two of their TD's came when it seemed like we went into a laid back defense after getting the big lead and it backfired. Ritchie said screw this and went back to the original plan and shut them down again.

After the heartbreak of the loss to NY, and the butt whipping we put on them, they were easy pickins' for the two cowhumper losses.

Archived