Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All time favourite 'skins secondary

K.O. Johnny

Call me old but I always think of Lemar Parrish, Tony Peters, Joe Lavender, Mark Murphy, Mike Nelms (not the best d-back but a fabulous return man), Curtis Jordan, Jeris White and LeCharles McDaniel - The 1981 Defensive backfield stands out. Most likely because I was just starting to understand the game of football as a young high school kid.

Parrish, Lavender, and Ken Houston a few years earlier was even better.

I think I too would go with that 87 secondary.

Green was very good. Wilburn may have been better but was overlooked for some reason. Bowles was steady and unspectacular and Walton layed the lumber on people.

I was a fan of the 82 secondary as well. Murphy and Peters at safety with White and rookie Vernon Dean (who I believe finished second in defensive rookie of the year voting) at corner.

As for least favorite, the last couple of years have seen perhaps three of my least favorite Redskins period all play together in the secondary (Landry, Hall and Rogers).

Yeah, it's insane I know, but that's what printed on three different football cards - they can't all be wrong.

It's obviously solo and assists combined, but he was still a force

Does anyone know what happened to the guy

he played for the CFL team that was in baltimore and then faded away...

he did win a super bowl (2) and a CFL championship also...

i dont think many guys have done both

CB - Darrell Green

S - Sean Taylor

S - Ken Houston

CB - Champ Bailey

THIS secondary is shutdown (or do you mean secondary that actually played together?)

I believe the point is a unit that actually played together, not one that is pieced together from different eras.

I have to follow up and go with the younger generation and pick Springs, Taylor, Landry, Rogers, and Smoot. If my memory is correct, the group of Springs, Taylor, Landry, and Rogers was the first foursome who were drafted in the top 10 of the 1st round to start together. At least 3/4 of that group had a chance to be real special if Rogers hadn't have gotten hurt and of course if Taylor hadn't had his life taken early.

I have to follow up and go with the younger generation and pick Springs, Taylor, Landry, Rogers, and Smoot. If my memory is correct, the group of Springs, Taylor, Landry, and Rogers was the first foursome who were drafted in the top 10 of the 1st round to start together. At least 3/4 of that group had a chance to be real special if Rogers hadn't have gotten hurt and of course if Taylor hadn't had his life taken early.

Objectively, that has to be the most physically talented secondary we've ever had - but how good did they jell?

Maybe I'm just a bit blinkered about the 87 crew and I'll admit Walton couldn't cover a bed with a blanket, but they did win the big one

Objectively, that has to be the most physically talented secondary we've ever had - but how good did they jell?

Maybe I'm just a bit blinkered about the 87 crew and I'll admit Walton couldn't cover a bed with a blanket, but they did win the big one

They never had a chance to really gel, that's the thing. Rogers had his season ended week 7 at the Patriots, and then Taylor's career ended 2 weeks later vs. Philly. Landry was only a rookie, but he was playing at a high level. If those guys were able to gel, then they could have thrown an average corner opposite of Rogers, and the secondary would still have been dominant.

Well, if you really want to go OS, how about Fischer-Owens-Houston-Bass?

This is my choice as well. Fischer and Bass on the corners. Bass had all of the physical talent, the speed, the size and good hands. Fischer on the other hand was short, slow and wore the thickest pair of glasses a football player has ever worn. But Fischer was matched up against the number 1 receivers every week and gave up about a foot in height to Harold Carmichael. He held Carmichael without a catch for an entire game until the Eagles through a screen pass for 1 yard just to keep Carmichael's consecutive games with a catch streak still alive.

Brigg Owens was fast and a decent hitter.

Kenny Houston - well if you don't know how good Kenny Houston was, you need to do your Redskins homework. I will never forget watching him being carted off the field with the football in his hands after taking a shot from a Dallas Cowboy when he intercepted a pass in overtime to help the Redskins pull out an overtime win.

As much as a fan I am of Pat Fischer, the 1980 secondary of Ken Houston, Joe "Big Bird" Lavender, Lamar Parrish and Mark Murphy was the best the Redskins put on the field, IMO.

The Skins had a disappointing year in 1980 (the Riggins sit-out season). Even so, I remember looking forward to Air Coryell coming to town. This was when the Chargers were nearing their apex under Coryell's offense. I was convinced our secondary would shut them down.

I was not disappointed. Dan Fouts threw four interceptions and the Redskins won handily.

2004 was probably the best in recent memory: Springs, Smoot, Clark, Taylor, and Walt Harris (before he fell off a cliff).

Green, Bailey, Leo Evans and Sam Shade in '99 were an underrated backfield.

Carlos gets a bad rap because of his hands, and the Broncos game last year... but for most of his career, he has been an excellent coverage guy and a very good tackler for a corner.

Yeah, Walton sure could bring the pain - and at 180lbs - unbelievable

The man was a tackling machine, with numbers that would make a middle linebacker blush

One of my favorite players of all time....

Its sad that he is not spoken of when you talk about some of the best strong safties to ever play the game..

Archived