Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All time favourite 'skins secondary

K.O. Johnny

With all the questions over our secondary at the moment and people looking back at our glory days receivers, let's give a look to my favourite 'skins defensive backfield ever

The '87 secondary consisted of

Darrell Green - enough said

Barry Wilburn - led league in interceptions (should have gone to the pro-bowl)

Todd Bowles at FS - I think he played the spot well

Alvin Walton - The Krushin Kansan and one of my favourite 'skins - if Brandon Jacobs had tried to run him over, Jacobs would now be 4ft 6in instead of 6ft 4 :ols:

We even had the luxury of a very good nickelback in Brian Davis - a top round draft pick outta Nebraska with (if i remember right 4.3 speed:laugh:)

Now that was a secondary - I even think it could still compete in today's league

What do you all think?

yeah, but springs was on his last legs and landry and rogers aren't that good :/

Landry at the time at SS was an absolute monster for us. We actually were using him to his strengths and it showed. Rogers was a shutdown corner although he can't catch the ball and up until that gruesome knee injury he had he was arguably on of the best cover corners in the NFL, he just has hands of stone and cant catch easy picks.

We did field 4 first round picks pretty recently - Springs, Rogers, Taylor, Landry.

I've gotta go with you on this one. Taylor more than made up for any of Landry's shortcomings, and Landry allowed for Taylor to be more of the centerfielder hit sticker that he was.

Call me old but I always think of Lemar Parrish, Tony Peters, Joe Lavender, Mark Murphy, Mike Nelms (not the best d-back but a fabulous return man), Curtis Jordan, Jeris White and LeCharles McDaniel - The 1981 Defensive backfield stands out. Most likely because I was just starting to understand the game of football as a young high school kid.

I loved the '91 secondary:

Edwards

Walton

Mayhew

Green

Walton and Edwards hit as hard as any safeties I've ever seen!

Walton was only the SS for two games though. He was hurt in the Dallas game with Ed Simmons and Danny Copeland took his spot.

good thread. Lavender and Parrish were a great CB combo. But, I'd have to go with Sean Taylor and Landry playing safety together.....

Yeah, Walton sure could bring the pain - and at 180lbs - unbelievable

The man was a tackling machine, with numbers that would make a middle linebacker blush

196 tackles in 1988?

Call me old but I always think of Lemar Parrish, Tony Peters, Joe Lavender, Mark Murphy, Mike Nelms (not the best d-back but a fabulous return man), Curtis Jordan, Jeris White and LeCharles McDaniel - The 1981 Defensive backfield stands out. Most likely because I was just starting to understand the game of football as a young high school kid.

Well, if you really want to go OS, how about Fischer-Owens-Houston-Bass?

vernon dean was always a very underrated skin during his 6 years here... not an all time first stringer, but he'd be on my second team...

Yeah, I thought he was a very good corner too. He was actually part of the 87 squad i opened the thread with, but played very little that year, but was a starter at some point in his career at the skins - I have no idea why we let him go to Seattle:mad:

Yeah, I thought he was a very good corner too. He was actually part of the 87 squad i opened the thread with, but played very little that year, but was a starter at some point in his career at the skins - I have no idea why we let him go to Seattle:mad:

we must have known something cause he only lasted one year there.. must have been an injury.. can't remember.. started 12 games in 87 and then lasted one year after that...

I'm on the younger side of the spectrum but I'd have to say the "Area 51" era was a special group. Carlos Rogers can't catch a cold but he was consistently shutting down top recievers. Having Taylor cleaning up the back end really allowed our corners to be confident and play aggressive. Landry was making plays in the box and Springs was still extremely effective when he was healthy. Even Smoot had a little left in the tank playing the third corner spot.

I loved the '91 secondary:

Edwards

Walton

Mayhew

Green

Walton and Edwards hit as hard as any safeties I've ever seen!

this is the correct answer.

edwards had a super bowl the likes i've never seen for a safety. should have been MVP.

and copeland knocked a man backwards- the man nearly did a backwards flip after being hit by copeland on a punt.

-

Well, if you really want to go OS, how about Fischer-Owens-Houston-Bass?

Oh, Fischer - I've got the VHS (remember vhs folks?) NFL Crunchtime "The NFL's Hardest Hitters - and up there with Butkus and Csonka there's Pat "get a leg up and you own him" Fischer on the vid and he deserved to be there from what I've seen - Fischer was a loon:pfft:

Archived