Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Operating on PS3

Spaceman Spiff

So my PS3 crapped the bed the other night. Not exactly sure what happened but instead of the lights on front turning blue and green, it blinks red a few times, beeps and doesn't eject my disc.

Has anyone had anything similar? I remember having issues with my PS2 years ago, taking it apart, cleaning the lens and putting it back together without a problem. Was thinking about opening up the PS3 and just wondering if anyone else here has done so. I know the easiest thing would be to call Sony, get a box from them, send it back and pay for whatever repairs are necessary but...I'm a guy and that do-it-yourself gene is talkin to me :)

One other thing - the RLOD on the PS3 can also be caused by overheating. Make sure you let it set for awhile and clean the vents on it. Make sure the vents aren't blocked after cleaning and try turning it on again.

If you have the same problem after cleaning the vents - then its probably a hardware issue (like the bad hard drive).

If you're worried about your saved data... maybe this story will make ya feel better.

A buddy of mine had dozens of save files on his PS3. His house was robbed and the ps3 was stolen. He had no choice but to buy a new one. When he got the new one, his user id AND saved data were downloaded from sony. He was shocked.

I had no idea the data was saved outside of the ps3. Apparently, it is.

Archived