Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help me get a TV

OrangeSkin

My girlfriend and I are planning on getting a TV after going a year without one, but we don't want cable. Not worth the expense, as we wouldn't watch most of the channels anyway. Problem is, I'm utterly clueless as to how to proceed. Converter boxes and all that business are Greek to me. Can anyone enlighten me as to what exactly I'll need? I basically just want it to watch football, so will I be able to get Fox, NBC, and CBS? We live in Brooklyn, just a few miles from Manhattan, if that makes a difference. Thanks for any help.

If you are getting a HDTV, you will probably need a HD Antenna. I haven't used one since the digital transition, but I think the local channels, along with some other channels like MHZ, ThisTv, RTV, etc should come in fine.

If you are not getting a High Def TV, you will need a converter box. Unfortunately, the coupon program is over. A good one might cost around $50 from Target, Wal-Mart, or Best Buy.

Pwyl, where does the antenna go? On top of the TV? Can I just buy one at a place like Best Buy? Do you need any kind of expertise to install or do you just stick it on top?

Since you live in the city, it probably doesn't matter. I'm 30 miles out of nashville and I just have mine sitting on top of my TV. You could buy one at best buy, but you'll probably overpay. You shouldn't need anything fancy... you'll probably get plenty of signal with a cheap one.

if you have internet service from your cable provider you might be able to plug the coax into your tv (assuming it has a tuner built in) and get the basics without having to bother with an antenna.

that's how it is for me (i don't have cable tv subscription just internet) and I get all the locals and awesomely a bunch of other digital and HD channels (which I suppose is because comcast never installed a filter on our lines to block those channels).

Archived