Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC Sports: Shocker: Coffee announces retirement from NFL

terrifNick21

49ers backup RB Glen Coffee shockingly announced his retirement from football Friday.

Coffee was nowhere to be found Friday after missing Thursday afternoon's practice. He released a statement Friday afternoon, indicating that he's "moving on" from football. Coach Mike Singletary runs a notoriously tough camp, but there has to be more to the story here. Coffee was battling rookie Anthony Dixon for the No. 2 job behind Frank Gore. Dixon is now the clear "handcuff" to Gore.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38694908/ns/sports-player_news/

Gotta remember he played at Bama while they sucked and didn't get much attention at all. He was never a remarkable RB talent in my opinion. Not a knock on him 'cause he played well overall in college. I think he kinda lucked out by getting Saban and having an OL perform really well in front of him.

Some people just aren't too interested in putting their bodies on the line. Not that they're scared, but big money vs. health risks isn't for everyone. I think he proved he could do it, and was done with it.

Heard similar concerns regarding Myron Rolle, who I had to look up but went to Tennessee.

Having covered 49ers RB Glen Coffee for 3 years, not surprised he retired. He has a higher call. Wouldn't shock me if he headed to ministry about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck Retweeted by 7 people

RapSheet

Ian R. Rapoport

I read about this, too. Good luck to him if that's the case. It takes a lot of heart and courage to walk away from millions of dollars to pursue something you believe in. Makes me think of Pat Tillman.

Archived