Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TBD? (Formerly News Channel 8, new DC website)

Hubbs

Apparently News Channel 8 is no more, having been replaced by something called TBD. It's still a news network, but it's got a website (www.tbd.com) that's trying to be a mesh of original stories, wire stories, and various DC-centric blogs. I think I like it, although I'm still trying to figure a few things out. And a few Google results say they've done a bunch of hiring for the site and network. The company that owns TBD also owns WJLA and Politico, so they seem to be mixing in a lot from those efforts as well. WJLA's website now just redirects to TBD, so I guess they're combining them into one web presence.

Anyone know anything else about this? What their general plans are?

To Be Determined ?

Apparently that's really the origin of the name. The executives starting signing their emails with "TBD.com" as a joke, and it caught on enough that they stuck with it.

A friend of mine is interning there in the fall. I never heard of it until he mentioned it, and had no idea what it was until this thread. Thank you, Hubbs!

Do you know what he/she is specifically doing?

I miss having the local news all day everyday. Channel 8 was great, actually met one of the anchors from the station a few years back. Wish I could remember his name.

It's still local news (or local commentary) all day, I think.

Here's an Aug. 7 article by the Washington Post's media guy Paul Fahri on the new venture:

TBD.com -- odd name, but let's move on -- is a new all-local news Web site that seems to be the answer to a question that no one has really been asking: Do media-saturated Washington and its environs need yet another source of information about Washington and its environs?

Fair question, acknowledges Robert Allbritton, the affable chief executive of the family-owned media company, Allbritton Communications, behind TBD. No question there's lots of local news out there now, and some of it is quite good, he says. But Allbritton offers an analogy: "Right now, [getting local news on the Web] is like trying to buy groceries in the old country. First you went to the fishmonger, then to the baker, then the grocer and so on. And it worked until someone said, 'Why don't we create a supermarket and put it all together in one place?' "

That's the basic idea of TBD, which goes "live" next week after nine months of preparation. By Allbritton's reckoning, the site will supply an all-encompassing local news fix, with a side of whimsy and quirkiness thrown in.

Friday was TBD's coming-out day. The site's top brass showed off what they've been working on at media sessions at company headquarters in Rosslyn. There was a lot of talk about how TBD will incorporate content from local blogs (127 of them, including one that covers allergies in Loudoun County); how it will integrate video from Allbritton's other media properties, especially WJLA and NewsChannel 8 (the latter of which will be renamed TBD for cross-promotional purposes); and about how mobile apps and "community engagement" will be harnessed to build a powerful new brand and news source.

The early line suggests that TBD will primarily be an aggregator of local news coverage, relying on all those fishmongers and bakers for its daily feed. Although the site has an editorial staff of 35, including 12 reporters, general manager Jim Brady and editor Erik Wemple acknowledge that TBD's journalists will have to hustle.

Rest: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/06/AR2010080606133.html

Archived