Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: A pro's Pro

bubba9497

A pro's Pro

By Jody Foldesy

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20030821-114546-1561r.htm

Laveranues Coles has led the way from his very first practice as a Washington Redskin.

On that day in early May, Coles was setting the standard in minicamp drills. He showed his fellow wide receivers how to make the crisp slant in and catch the ball. How to dust the cornerback on an inside move. How to match up with Pro Bowl corner Champ Bailey. How to see the lane. How to find a soft spot in the deep zone.

And that was just for starters. Since then, Coles has done nothing but be a true professional for the Redskins. In limited preseason action, he has three catches for 112 yards — each reception going for at least 29 yards. More importantly, in practice and the classroom, he has given full effort all the time.

"His just showing up to practice every day makes our receivers group a better group," receivers coach Steve Spurrier Jr. said yesterday. "He works harder than anybody I've ever been around — pays attention in meetings, asking questions. He's a very serious young man. He comes to work."

Coles expects to do no less. Although he jumped from the New York Jets to the Redskins this offseason on a blockbuster seven-year, $35 million contract, in his mind he's still a worker bee.

"They pay me to come in here and do a job," Coles said. "Whatever they ask of me, that's what I'll do. Basically, we're playing chess, and I'm one of the pieces. You can use me however you want to use me."

His performance and demeanor have begun to justify his $13 million signing bonus. Fresh off a season that made him a star — 89 receptions (second in Jets history) for 1,264 yards (fourth) — Coles still hadn't won over a number of people who deal with NFL personnel. They questioned whether he could be a true No. 1 wide receiver.

Sure, Coles is blazing fast. He packs a lot of power in his 5-foot-11, 193-pound frame. And he's productive. But a real No. 1 forces NFL defenses to game plan around him. He commands double-teams and still makes plays.

Such questions, of course, will remain when the Redskins open the season against the Jets on Sept. 4. But for now, Coles has shown that he works, thinks and carries himself like a No. 1 target. In the mind of offensive coordinator Hue Jackson, Coles is simply a "pro."

"I think what a pro is, is a guy who understands his role, understands what his contribution to the team is, a guy who comes to work in the a.m. with the attitude of getting better," Jackson said. "A guy who walks in the classroom and says, 'Coach, coach me. Help me become a better player.' The guy who comes out on the practice field, when it's hot, and when you've been running all day, he's ready to run another '9' route, another 'go' route.

"It just doesn't matter what we've asked of him. He's responded, and he's done it."

That makes an even greater difference with this receiving corps. Rod Gardner leads Washington's other receivers with 31 NFL starts (Coles has 32), and Patrick Johnson has the most NFL seasons of any Redskins wideout with five. But Gardner remains more of a complementary player at this point, and Johnson is battling for a spot on the final roster.

In short, this is an inexperienced group that needs all the leadership it can get. And Coles gives it.

"Anytime a guy comes out to practice every day, like he has," Jackson said, "and he's one of the 'star' players of your team, and he doesn't miss a practice, doesn't miss a rep, wants to take every rep, wants to know everything about everything that's going on, it can't help but lift the other receivers and convince them, 'That's the way I should be.' "

This isn't to say Coles has been perfect. He doesn't always get the precise routes in coach Steve Spurrier's offense, and his chemistry with quarterback Patrick Ramsey is still developing.

Career-wise, though, Coles is all about patience. His high-profile signing this offseason validated his status in the NFL, after off-field incidents at Florida State dropped him into 2000's third round. Now he is focused on staying power.

"Coaches want to play guys who play hard in practice, who give 110 percent every time they get an opportunity," Coles said. "That's what separates the guys who stick around three or four years, and the guy who's around eight to 15 years."

For some reason I think if Ramsey had recieved better pass protection in the preseason games, we would have seen even more deep balls to Coles. Reports from both games say that Coles was pretty much open all day long. The best looking thing is that in the two huge passes he caught, he was WIIIIIIIIDE OPEN.

I try not to say it, but reminds you of Jerry Rice on the work ethics. The attitude is striking as well on why he's confident he can seperate from the defender.

Look for low-balling players to grab, pinch, scream b8tch and do anything to change his attitude (with no success).

If I'm a DC for another team planning for the game, you can bet I'm accounting for Coles. Looking at the roster, the receiving corps to be exact, I'm definatly planning for Coles. Being that he played for the Jets, can almost guarentee that they'll plan for him. But then with S.S.'s offense, that's all one has. Looking forward to this.

:cheers:

I'm with Blakman on this. We've seen enough of Coles in the preseason -- I know Ramsey needs reps with him, but Coles has been unreal and Spurrier should keep that under wraps if possible. He's averaging 20 yards a catch! I think this offense is gonna be more dangerous than their awful preseason performance would indicate.

With Coles scaring defenses, someone's gonna get open -- and Gardner is really gonna shine.

Archived