Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2010 Training Camp - Day 4 (Final)

bredskin

ES Coverage: 2010 Training Camp - Day 4

08/01/10

:helmet:

Hello and welcome to Extremeskins coverage Day 4. bredskin on site with JimmJo. We will be tag-teaming coverage live from the park. This is my first day of coverage with ES this year and looking forward to keeping our members in the loop with what is going on today in the world of Redskins Park.

Practice begins at 8:30 and we will be updating throughout the day. It is going to be in the mid to high 70s today, no rain in the forecast.

We will be heading down to the field in a few minutes. You can following along on Twitter @Skinscast.

Feel free to post any questions.

AUDIO

To listen to comments from Richard Bartel click HERE

To listen to comments from Colt Brennan click HERE

To listen to comments from Devin Thomas click HERE

To listen to comments from Joey Galloway click HERE

To listen to comments from Graham Gano click HERE

To listen to comments from Kareem Moore click HERE

To listen to comments from Roydell Williams click HERE

To listen to comments from Ryan Torain click HERE

REFFKIN'S RAMBLINGS

It has been one year to the day since I was last at Redskins Park. I must say, it is very hard to believe how much has changed with this organization over that time. Last season, there was a feeling of doom in the air. The fans could sense it and the media could sense it as well. The Cerrato era, and the failed Zorn experiment, ended. Now with Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan in town, it feels like our junior varsity organization has moved to the big time. There is a new sense of professionalism here at the facility. These are legitimate football men who really get it. There is a greater pace to the practices and they seem to be run more crisply. There seems to be a sense of urgency at the park, where last season, it almost felt as if the entire organization was going through the motions, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

One of the positions I spent time watching during the first session was wide receiver. Early in the practice Joey Galloway showed why he is currently a starter by making several catches, finding the seams in the defense. Galloway is an experienced pro. His route running looked very good today. With that being said, he did drop a couple of balls later in practice, including a frozen rope from McNabb that arrived right after Galloway made his cut. He also did cough up the ball after a nice catch on a slant. Reed Doughty made the strip, creating the turnover.

Devin Thomas definitely stood out. Early in the 11 on 11 sessions, he was very quiet. Then he caught a deep post pattern from Bartel in triple coverage. It was a great catch and the play of the day. Thomas followed that play up with several other catches. None were in spectacular fashion, but the deep pass seemed to wake him up and really got him more involved with the passing game. Mike Shanahan said that Thomas has had a couple good practices in a row. That is good news. At least Devin is getting on the field, where Malcolm Kelly is not, still sidelined with the hamstring.

Anthony Armstrong demonstrated blazing speed after taking a short route and blowing through the defense for the score. This guy has some serious jets.

After the horrible performance from the offensive line last season, I wanted to spend some time watching the new crew. From top to bottom, the line is night and day from last year. I remember writing about what a sieve our line was last year. This year, things are much more solid.

First round draft pick Trent Williams, looks good. I thought I would see a tough transition from the college game, but from what I saw today, he is ready. On consecutive pass plays, Williams held his own against Brian Orakpo, one on one. Williams shows great athleticism and seems to have very quick feet. Redskin fans, I think we have a mainstay at left tackle for the next decade. I was very impressed with Williams.

Jamaal Brown also looked good today. He moved well and seemed to be holding his own in the running and passing game. He did get beat on the edge, by a Laron Landry blitz. But, I think it just caught him off guard. He is a player, and a huge upgrade from last season. The Redskins need to extend his contract now.

When Bruce Allen said that he could rebuild the offensive line and make them a quality group in one off season, I thought he was crazy. It is early in camp, but I like what I saw today. There are some depth concerns, but overall, a tremendous upgrade over the debacle from last season.

From a defensive perspective, I must say, that I love the 3-4 defense. It is an attacking defense and guys seem to come from everywhere. I think that Redskin fans will like what they see.

Adam Carriker was someone that I kept my eye on today. He has great leverage and his long arms make him ideal for a 3-4 end. He held his ground on several plays today and appears to be a great fit for this team. It is a surprise to many that he has been starting at left end over Phillip Daniels, including myself. Carriker looks to me like the real deal. He can eat up blocks and free up the linebackers to make plays.

Maake Kemoeatu is huge. That man can take on blockers. He has a low base of gravity and is very difficult to move. If he can stay healthy, he should be a big part of defense’s success this season.

Kedric Golson also seems to be adjusting from the move from defensive tackle to right defensive end. He is a hard worker and was solid at the point of attack. Yes, he is currently the starter. At least until the eventual starter can pass the Shanahan entrance exam (no I will not use his name, until he actually practices).

Laron Landry really looks like he is going to have a big season. He really is a big hitter and he looks huge. Landry looks like he has put on twenty pounds of muscle and should be blitzing and playing close to the line of scrimmage this season.

I was fortunate to cover several practice sessions last season, but this practice was by far the best. It was well organized and crisp. Although Shanahan said the players seemed somewhat sluggish, probably due to four straight days of practice, I was still impressed. I will be back on Tuesday, JimmiJo will be solo tomorrow.

Hey all, JimmiJo here. I have nothing to add other than it will be great to make Bredskin do all the work for a change. I try to do that with Murf, but his blood-alcohol level is usually so high it is no use.

Thats the sign of a true manager John, delegation.

for those who don't know how to follow twitter:

skinscast

1. Armstrong gets up the field quickly after the pass from mcnabb less than a minute ago via txt

2. T williams faring well against orakpo 2 minutes ago via txt

3. Colt overthrows the TE, tryon made him pay with a pick 5 minutes ago via txt

4. Vonnie holiday wreaking havok on the line 6 minutes ago via txt

5. Mcnabb nice zip to galloway in the seam 10 minutes ago via txt

6. Moss gets by hall deep, makes catch, but out of bounds 22 minutes ago via txt

7. Grossman to Galloway for 20 27 minutes ago via txt

8. Fast willie caught in backfield for loss 27 minutes ago via txt

9. Grossman on a boot hits Roydell in the flat who put a move on and by Barnes 29 minutes ago via txt

10. Torain with some nifty interior running 32 minutes ago via txt

11. Mcnabb first pass wobbler to galloway 34 minutes ago via txt

12. Malcolm doing sprints with the training staff 38 minutes ago via txt

13. Awesome weather and still time to come out about 1 hour ago via txt

14. Everyone going today except haynesworth and kelly about 1 hour ago via txt

Guys' date=' any updates on Devin Thomas - Is he doing anything notable, given that he appears buried down the depth chart ?[/quote']

just saw a tweet from @Russelmania09 (7 min ago) "devin Thomas just beat triple coverage closing for a long bomb from Richard Bartel"

Thanks for the updates. I always love the audio interviews.

Any chance you guys could record those in mp3 or some non-Microsoft format for those of us following along on Android, iPhone, Macs, iPads and so on? You wouldn't be cutting out Windows users that way, just being more inclusive to fans who aren't stuck on Windows. Thanks!

thanks again!

I know this sounds bad but i dream about these up-dates at night and CAN'T WAIT til morning comes. I'm like a kid at X-mas.

Go skins and thanks again for the hard work guys.

Yeah I know how you feel. Its because it was such a long offseason, you know, without there being a 2009 season.

He looks like a beast. He has bulked up and we should see him at the line and blitzing a lot this season.

You just made my day!

Any overall assessments on Orakpo? I'm wondering if it's one of two things:

1) Trent Williams is THAT good at stopping him

or

2) Orakpo isn't showing so much this year

Please make it number one. :)

And thank you guys so much for this. ES is so lucky to have such hardworking members out there bringing us the scoop! :cheers:

Archived