Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nfl.com- Gil Brandt predicts afc west title for Oakland

Skins_Win_Again

They also point out that "as bad as Washington’s pass protection was in 2009, Oakland’s was worse. Only injury-riddled Buffalo had a worse Adjusted Sack Rate than the Raiders."

That's actually not true. Their numbers look so bad b/c jamarcus was in for 9 games. His problem was that he would turn a 5 step drop into a 9 which made it about impossible for the tackles to block defensive ends b/c they could just rush straight up field.

Here it is straight of the mouth of one of their players.:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/27/raiders-left-tackle-prefers-campbells-footwork-to-russells/

That's actually not true. Their numbers look so bad b/c jamarcus was in for 9 games. His problem was that he would turn a 5 step drop into a 9 which made it about impossible for the tackles to block defensive ends b/c they could just rush straight up field.

Here it is straight of the mouth of one of their players.:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/27/raiders-left-tackle-prefers-campbells-footwork-to-russells/

compared to Campbell who has great pocket presence.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/washington-redskins/09000d5d8129b92e/Giants-Defense-Highlight-WK-01-vs-Redskins-2009

This might be news to you but Gil Brandt is still widely considered as one of the sharpest talent evaluators today and his football opinion is still well respected by most football people; excluding you i guess.

Well that changes everything. He's STILL widely considered a smart guy?

League consensus hardly means anything. You should know that, being a Redskins fan.

My respect hinges on whether or not he ever gave credit for applying FO's metric system to college QBs to make his own projections. It doesn't sound like he did, so widely respected or not, he's a prick in my book.

I still remember Campbell having complete command of the pocket at the end of his Rookie season.

While his OL didn't really get piss poor until the year before last, I think that his the chief reason he seems to have poor pocket presence. I'm not trying to say Campbell would be a legendary QB if he had a remotely decent OL, we've all had that discussion a million times. I'm only saying that his pocket presence is a lot better than anything we saw last year.

He's still no Elway, but he's 435346x better than Jamarcus, especially in the realm of feeling the pass rush.

];7634944']Well that changes everything. He's STILL widely considered a smart guy?

Just because you don't doesn't mean he isn't yah know.

League consensus hardly means anything. You should know that' date=' being a Redskins fan.[/quote']

It doesn't but i would think that more people involved with the league think highly of Gil Brand then not.

My respect hinges on whether or not he ever gave credit for applying FO's metric system to college QBs to make his own projections. It doesn't sound like he did, so widely respected or not, he's a prick in my book

That link was the 1st i heard about that story, which btw has nothing to with what Gil Brandt said about the Raiders.

I didn't have prior knowledge about that story, but i feel that its never prudent to take one side of any story and run with.

But, being that Gil Brandt has been a scout about 100 times longer then FO has been around don't you think its likely that Gil like most other scouts have their own metric's they been using before FO was around??

• 3 months later...
Please freaking do. The Raiders are clearly the worst team in that entire division and it's not even close. Denvers demise is over blown. The Chiefs are climbing up and getting better every year. The Chargers are going to be fine with or without Jackson. Thinking the Raiders stand a chance to win that division is beyond stupid. All of that talk will stop the minute real football is played. For that matter show me the 8 wins you see here:

http://www.raiders.com/schedule/season-schedule.html

And Jason Campbell is garbage, always been garbage and always will be trash. I don't give a damn if the man's got a great personality, this isn't ethics. It's football. And I could name 20 QB's I'd rather have them him. The best move this offseason any teams made on any team will likely be the Redskins kicking that piece of trash out and installing a real QB for once.

Wasn't around for when it was said, but thought that this was hilarious given how things have been going.

Heh, I missed this thread the first time around.

Obviously there's more to their turnaround than the acquisition of Campbell, and there's still plenty of football to be played this year so we'll have to wait and see whether they can sustain their success, but I do think it's funny hearing what people had to say back in July: that Oakland has a bad Oline, busts at RB, bad D, bad WRs. Yet these same folks are now saying that JC is being carried by (this is a paraphrase) "a D that's playing lights out, McFadden & Bush who are on fire, WRs who get ridiculous yac."

At this point I think it's between Oakland & SD. I think KC has begun the process of coming back down to Earth, while SD has toughed out wins over good AFC teams in recent weeks. Oakland has some tough games ahead but they have a good shot if Campbell continues to play well.

they added a rookie linebacker, an over the hill Dlineman, and a solid linebacker. thats really gonna help them score more points with campbell, no oline, no receivers, and justin fargas.

i do expect zac miller to have 1900 yards next season. campbell will be throwing to that dude on every friggin down.

Well, you were right about one thing. Zach Miller is having a career year.:D

Archived