Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Reshuffle Defensive Line

bleedblue

again, my complaint with the moves as contemplated is that the team will be down to one DL, Renaldo Wynn, who will be a 3 down player.

if you start Wynn, Haley, Holsey and Upshaw (assuming he ever takes the field) and then go to Smith, Zellner, Wynn and Jackson on passing downs, that is going to create problems when other teams anticipate those moves by going on a quick count or using the no huddle.

the Skins have to acquire at least one other player who is going to be able to be a 60 minute player for the team on the DL.

no, Lional Dalton is not a 20 game winner, to use baseball parlance, but he is a little bit better than .500 pitcher who is going to give you 200 innings.

And the Redskins need someone like that right now to fill the void at DT.

Originally posted by bleedblue

http://redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=11875

Redskins Reshuffle Defensive Line

08/18/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

With defensive tackle Brandon Noble out for the season with a knee injury, the Redskins began the process on Monday of finding a replacement among a group of players that includes Bernard Holsey, James Cannida, Delbert Cowsette and Greg Scott.

During Monday afternoon’s practice, Renaldo Wynn moved inside on passing downs—alongside expected starter Jermaine Haley—while ends Regan Upshaw and Bruce Smith provided the pass rush on the outside.

In addition, safety Ifeanyi Ohalete practiced with the first-team defense ahead of David Terrell, who has started the last two pre-season games.

Head coach Steve Spurrier also indicated that Lennie Friedman could start at center in next Saturday’s pre-season game against Baltimore.

Most of the focus during Monday’s practice was on the defensive line, however. Defensive coordinator George Edwards may try a number of players in order to find the right combination at the tackle position. Several young linemen are expected to get a chance to win the starting job or at least be a part of a rotation.

“We’re trying to find somebody for that open spot,” Wynn said. “It’s a great opportunity for a young guy. Even though these are pre-season games, it’s going to be like a real game for them. And I’m sure they’ll be graded accordingly. For the short amount of plays they’re going to get out there, they definitely have to make things happen.”

Although Wynn prefers playing defensive end, he recognizes that Noble’s injury means he many be needed to play tackle more this year.

Prior to joining the Redskins, Wynn split time between end and tackle in five seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars. In fact, he has played all four defensive line positions at different times in his NFL career.

“I’ll do whatever helps the team,” Wynn said. “I played tackle before in my career, so it won’t be a problem.”

Haley, who joined the Redskins last offseason after three years in Miami, is penciled in as the starter at the other defensive tackle position. He said he is gradually becoming more comfortable with the Redskins' defensive schemes.

“You really don’t get into a comfort zone this early when you’re in a new defense,” Haley said. “I’m just trying to get the defense down, and then I can go out and play, and let myself loose.”

At safety, Matt Bowen, Terrell, Ohalete and Andre Lott are all competing for playing time this year.

Ohalete started 10 games at strong safety last year for the Redskins. He posted 78 tackles, three interceptions and a sack in his first extended playing time in the NFL.

“It’s four guys for two positions, and I don't think the starting job is going to be decided until the first game,” he said. “If I keep on making plays, I should be all right and get a significant amount of playing time.”

Ohalete said he has focused on playing with more discipline this year.

“Last year, I gambled a little bit more,” he said. “I tried to be a playmaker, so I’d chase plays. When you do that, you’re going to get burned a certain number of times. Now I have a year of experience, a year of getting more playing time, and I think that helped a lot. It helped slow the game down for me and helped me be a little bit more focused on my job.”

Extra Points: The Redskins announced that defensive back Rashidi Barnes and punter Brent Bartholomew have been released...Quarterback Patrick Ramsey sat out Monday afternoon's practice. Spurrier said that Ramsey bruised a knuckle on his right hand during last Saturday's game. Ramsey will be rested "a few days" and should be ready to play against Baltimore on Aug. 23, Spurrier said.

Looks like Bruce may be a fulltime player afterall.

It's really a shame that we may never see the potential of our linebackers and secondary. I really hope this thing works itself out somehow, but I'm growing more and more doubtful. After watching tape of the first two games again, I think we may just have let this season go down the sh*tter. I've never been one to be pesimistic, but if teams are able to run the ball down our throats all day, it doesn't really matter that we have the best corner in the league or an allstar linebacker core. The defense will be defeated physically and mentally if we can't stop the run.

We really have to hope that two players step up. Jackson was looking good but who really knows now. Zellner looked good against Carolina.

One thing's for sure.....We've got two weeks to figure it out.

You guys need to either pull off a trade or sign a free agent.

Very true, but easier said then done.

Our FO should've taken care of this much sooner, back when there were reasonable replacements to be had. I can't imagine another case like Gardener falling into our laps....

the best available free agent is 33 year old former Skin Sean Gilbert :laugh:

does anyone really want to open the book on him again? :)

it's funny that the Skins are all of a sudden becoming such picky shoppers.

they gave up a #7 pick AND A BONUS for Haley who was NOT a starter last year and yet they are balking at giving up a #5 for a guy in Dalton that WAS a starter last year :)

Well you can't fix all of your problems in the offseason, despite what Mr. Snyder may believe. I think clearly we upgraded the o-line and WRs in this offseason. Next year should be devoted to the D-line. If Mr. Snyder thought Upshaw and even Noble were good starting quality d-linemen he was wrong. Noble was a bottom-tier DT and Upshaw, at this point in his career, is a platoon player. Haley is strictly an upside guy, shouldn't be considered starting quality yet. Zellner is also a spot guy at this point, but with some upside. But maybe this will be a blessing in disguise. Maybe in time the Zellners, Haleys and L. Jacksons of this unit will step up and show they can be starters in this league. Well at least that's the best we can hope for, at this point.

I do not think there is anything wrong with the skins looking inhouse for a starter on the DL.

Is there anyone out there that we can get that would be leaps and bounds better than one of the young guys trying to make the team?..I cannot think of any that we would not have to pay out the wazoo for.

Sometimes all people need is a chance and we may find one of the guys already on the team that could become something special. I like the approach that the FO is taking by not loosing their cool. See what is out there and if it does not look good then find a replacement inhouse.

What the FO might do is wait till teams start cutting at then pick up a few extra bodies at DT to work with. That would make more since than overpaying for some medicore DT.

Just my thoughts

I do not think there is anything wrong with the skins looking inhouse for a starter on the DL.

I'm on the Monk mindset here, though Dalton is not a bad option.

Let's just not run all around trying to sign anyone that can eat 2 extra large pizza's at a sitting. Just 'cause they are big does not mean they are an upgrade.

o god.

We need to get this kid off the board. He's not a skins fan and brings nothing to anything.

Seriously though(as if the first one wasn't serious), Bleedblue, you need to check out www.saintsreport.com , Its set up just like these forums, except they are much more active. You should post of there some.

Earthcat Why do DL's just completing pro-bowl (or at least respectable) years, turn mediocre when they put on the maroon and gold? Gilbert, Stubblefield, Gardener.
No,the better question is....Why has this organization ignored the DT position(through the draft) for almost a decade and a half?:doh: The chickens have come home to roost,so to speak. We always seem to be flying by the seat of our pants ever since Snyder and Cerrato took over.Will it ever end?? I hope so. :doh:

Archived