Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I once again need a laptop... any advice would be appreciated

Destino

I'm not your average laptop user. This thing will not sit on a desk on a docking station until the odd day comes where it needs to go with me. I use my laptop between 6-12 hours a day and it travels constantly. It's open and closed more often than it should be and it needs to be able to run anything from bizarre custom built data bases to all things Microsoft office with several apps running at the same time.

This is my primary business machine replacing my Dell Latitude D630 (which I was very happy with). I don't need one of those bullet proof things but it needs to be rugged enough to withstand heavy use and standard bumps and bruises.

This is an easy buy with a 2000 dollar budget but I'd prefer to spend 1000. I prefer 14 inch screens.

If you have a good experience with a business machine recently let me know while I search around.

I've had 3 Dells over the past 10 years and 2 of the 3 have had major problems - including both of them ending up (within a year) with flickering monitors that essentially could not be repaired. My daughter's current Dell? Yep - flickering monitor that will ultimately result in trashing the laptop.

I'm done with Dell, although I am sure there are many that love them and I'm certainly not saying my experience is universal.

I recently bought a Lenovo SL410 ThinkPad. Less than $700, loaded with memory and speed, and solid as a rock. It's very simple, not a lot of bells and whistles, but performs like a BMW. I highly recommend it. I don't think there's a better laptop for the money.

I recently bought a Lenovo SL410 ThinkPad. Less than $700, loaded with memory and speed, and solid as a rock. It's very simple, not a lot of bells and whistles, but performs like a BMW. I highly recommend it. I don't think there's a better laptop for the money.

In my years of consulting I have owned a ton of laptops. They got abused, carried everywhere, kids played on them. I didn't care because my companies serviced them/replaced them when there were problems. By far, the ThinkPad was the best. But the only thinkpads I owned were labeled IBM at the time.

They clearly held up better than my others (toshiba, samsung, dell).

Now I am on a macbook. Oh well.

My buddy actually works on computers for a living on a college campus. He has seen, by his estimation, several thousand computers over his time there. While he has had people bring in macbooks for several things, he says that only two of them have been brought in for what he considers a serious issue (a "send back to manufacturer" problem).

I've traditionally avoided macs because i hate the mac culture. But i'm sold after seeing their fail rates and how they're built. Plus I can dual boot 7 and be good to go. I really feel like that's the way to go over even a hackintosh.

I'll give you a little bit of my insight. I was an IT consultant for the past 12 years. I bought/sold 100's of laptops in that timeframe. I sold Dell, HP, IBM/Lenovo, Sony Vaio's, etc. The MAIN difference is when something breaks, how hard or easy is it to get FAST service. Here's my personal breakdown.

The KEY here, is Business class vs. Consumer

HP/Compaq - You'd better be buying a business class laptop with next day service. If you buy a consumer model, you're asking for trouble when you need to get it fixed - they are mail-in service.

IBM/Lenovo - Same here, buy business class, and you have to ADD in the next day service warranty for an additional $300. My current boss (The CIO) bought one of the new Lenovo X200 laptops. First week had issues, so he bought a newer X201 (bear in mind these are $3500 laptops) - he had problems with it too. Getting the warranty ACTIVE and someone sent out, was a major *****. Lenovo's quality has gone down a little, since IBM sold out.

Sony Vaio's - Nice laptops with a ton of features, but next to IMPOSSIBLE to get fixed in a hurry. They are not business class machines, and most require mail-in service, or drop-off to an authorized dealer, who in turn mails it in. The CEO of my company has had 4-5 different $3-4000 Vaio's in the past 4 years. They are very fragile......DO NOT recommend.

Dell - We have about 50 dell laptops currently where I'm at. When there's a problem, a part and technician are onsite next day to fix. Business class COMES with a 3 year, next day onsite warranty. There's really no complaints with the dells. They work hard, and never really break. Add in the accidential breakage for another $300, and it covers spills, cracked LCD's, etc.

These are just an opinion from someone who knows a thing or two about laptops.....

Archived