Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Re-grading the 2007 NFL Draft: Redskins get a D

Ellis Dee

At least the Dolphins, Raiders, Rams got an F. I will say 3 years is an accurate time to look back and assess the talent:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13313391/regrading-2007-draft-threeyear-look-back-gives-real-picture/rss

Washington Redskins

The Redskins used the sixth pick in the first round on LSU safety LaRon Landry. He has been somewhat of a disappointment. He certainly isn't worth that lofty pick. The rest of the draft produced no starters and only backup linebacker H.B. Blades has done anything of note. He has six starts in his career as a sixth-round pick. The Redskins traded away their second-, third- and fourth-round picks in that draft. Quite frankly, this draft wasn't very good.

Grade: D

I remember watching the draft and it was clear, no one thought LL was worthy of that pick. But, LL has been through one of the worst coaching experiences outside of Oakland, so I think he will prove much more valuable.

I really thought we would find someone to trade with us to draft Adrian Peterson. He was drafted after LL and the rest is history....

This draft always reminded me of how fans are often right over so-called personnel people. Remember Dolphin fans booing the Ginn Jr. pick? And the GM getting up and saying how they got their guy etc. etc? Fans just knew he was going to suck.

Lets not discuss that they wanted Quinn!

Hm.

I have an issue with the Giants and Eagles getting better grades than the Redskins...The Giants received an "A" although I don't view any of their players as 'homeruns'. Sure, they all made the team...but they're infinitely all back-ups. Same with the Eagles - all back-ups (except Celek). He is praising Kolb for potential.... ?

New York Giants

This was the draft that helped the Giants win the Super Bowl in 2007. All the draft picks made the team and all eight are still with the team. It was a big hit for general manager Jerry Reese. Top pick Aaron Ross, a corner from Texas, missed most of last season with injuries, but he's a good corner when healthy. Second-round receiver Steve Smith went to the Pro Bowl last season when he led the league in catches. Fifth-round tight end Kevin Boss is a starter and a real steal of this group. Seventh-round safety Michael Johnson has started 30 games the past two seasons, but he will be challenged for his job this season. The Giants also got defensive tackle Jay Alford and running back Ahmad Bradshaw, two quality backups, in this draft. Bradshaw was another seventh-round pick.

Grade: A

Philadelphia Eagles

The Eagles didn't have a first-round pick, trading it to Dallas to get more picks later. That didn't stop them from adding quality players. With their first of two second-round picks, they took quarterback Kevin Kolb. He will be their starter in 2010. Defensive end Victor Abiamiri came with the other second-round pick. He started five games last season but has been a bit of a disappointment. They got starting middle linebacker Stewart Bradley in the third round. Bradley missed last season with a knee injury, but he should be back this season. Another gem came in the fifth round when the Eagles took starting tight end Brent Celek. He is by far the best value pick. The big miss was third-round running back Tony Hunt, a player I thought would be really good. He didn't play in 2009 after being let go by the Eagles. This class will be graded down the road on how well Kolb plays.

Grade: B-

I really thought we would find someone to trade with us to draft Adrian Peterson. He was drafted after LL and the rest is history....

I thought the exact same thing. Looking back on Portis and Petersen, even when you have a very good player at a position, as CP was at the time, you have to draft BPA. This is the poster boy example of that philosophy.

D? 2007 is one of the worst drafts we've had in the last 20 years. Certainly it deserves an F. Landry was a horrible pick.

We forget, we didn't just draft LL by himself. We drafted LL to play next to Sean Taylor. LL, to his credit has been playing a FS, when he excelled at SS and was drafted as such.

Who knows how this pick would have played out if one of the top players I have ever seen the Redskins draft was not killed.

I remember watching the draft and it was clear, no one thought LL was worthy of that pick. But, LL has been through one of the worst coaching experiences outside of Oakland, so I think he will prove much more valuable.

Really? Many felt he was the best defensive player in the draft at the time.

It was pretty obvious at the time that Vinny really wanted to trade down from that position. Considering that we were missing a good part of that draft and who was available based on our needs, it made sense. It is also a big reason why that draft was considered a D. It is hard to find good players when you are lacking your 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks.

I thought the exact same thing. Looking back on Portis and Petersen, even when you have a very good player at a position, as CP was at the time, you have to draft BPA. This is the poster boy example of that philosophy.

That's hindsight talking. Peterson had some serious questions about his durability, so let's not talk as if Peterson was a slam-dunk pick at the time.

And let's not have one bad season label Landry as a bum. Sure, he wasn't a success trying to play a similar role as Sean Taylor did, but he wasn't drafted to be that. He was forced into that role with Taylor's death. We'll see how he does in the new scheme and see if he can dedicate himself to it.

Really? Many felt he was the best defensive player in the draft at the time.

It was pretty obvious at the time that Vinny really wanted to trade down from that position. Considering that we were missing a good part of that draft and who was available based on our needs, it made sense. It is also a big reason why that draft was considered a D. It is hard to find good players when you are lacking your 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks.

Those people were obviously wrong. I didnt get that feeling about LL. All I remember is that the Falcons wanted to draft him. But judging from their first rounder, they didnt know defensive talent that year.

That's hindsight talking. Peterson had some serious questions about his durability, so let's not talk as if Peterson was a slam-dunk pick at the time.

And let's not have one bad season label Landry as a bum. Sure, he wasn't a success trying to play a similar role as Sean Taylor did, but he wasn't drafted to be that. He was forced into that role with Taylor's death. We'll see how he does in the new scheme and see if he can dedicate himself to it.

Its a bit of hindsight. Obviously MN drafted him and they were right. You can't defend the LL pick by saying he was considered the best D player and not then acknowledge the fact that AP was considered one of the best O players in that draft. He may have very well went ahead of CJ of those durability concerns did not pop up.

I think it was pretty clear that AP was a much better player than LL, and the only reason we didnt take him was that CP was on the roster. Actually, everyone wanted us to take a DL.

Actually i think we should have gotten an F....Here's a look at the 2007 draft

1st round-Laron Landry (S)

5th round-Dallas Sartz (LB)

6th round-HB Blades (LB)

6th round-Jordan Palmer (QB)

7th round-Tyler Ecker (TE)

...This has to be one of the worst drafts in the history of the franchise.

Considering the combination of Landry's underachieving & our lack of picks in that draft, a D sounds about right.

However, considering how good Orakpo is, if Trent Williams works out we'll have made up for it by adding two young beasts to our lines.

I think the WRs are going to have a good year as well.

Its a bit of hindsight. Obviously MN drafted him and they were right. You can't defend the LL pick by saying he was considered the best D player and not then acknowledge the fact that AP was considered one of the best O players in that draft. He may have very well went ahead of CJ of those durability concerns did not pop up.

I think it was pretty clear that AP was a much better player than LL, and the only reason we didnt take him was that CP was on the roster. Actually, everyone wanted us to take a DL.

Peterson's string of injuries at Oklahoma was a concern for a lot of teams as well. At the time it was considered a bit of a gamble for Minnesota to draft him where they did, but sometimes a gamble pays off.

Those people were obviously wrong. I didnt get that feeling about LL. All I remember is that the Falcons wanted to draft him. But judging from their first rounder, they didnt know defensive talent that year.

Here's an article about Landry at the time of the draft. Pretty heady stuff.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2847400

Here's an article about Landry at the time of the draft. Pretty heady stuff.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2847400

Exactly. He was the BPA at the pick, minus Peterson. You can quibble that we could have taken AP, but he just as easily could have gotten hurt and been a bust. Props to Minnesota for gambling and it paying off big. I really can't blame us for not taking AP, and even though Landry was horrible last year, if you put him in the box I think he can still be the dynamic player we thought he would be when we picked him so high.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/165377-the-nfl-draft-for-rbs-over-the-last-10-years

This is an interesting recap of drafted RBs.

Hm.

I have an issue with the Giants and Eagles getting better grades than the Redskins...The Giants received an "A" although I don't view any of their players as 'homeruns'. Sure, they all made the team...but they're infinitely all back-ups.

Grade: B-

What? Kevin Boss and Aaron Ross are quality starters and Steve Smith caught over 100 balls last year. Not exactly "infinitely all back-ups." Throw in Ahmad Bradshaw who may be the best #2 back in the league and the Giants deserve every bit of praise they received for their '07 haul.

By Mid-Season Laron Landry will be a QB Sackin'; Sideline Short Route Pass Tippin', Run Stuffin', Blowing people up and taking em out of games, Intercepting and Takin' it to da house STRONG SAFETY. You have my word. He's gonna be put in postions to succeed and play to his strengths. NOT his weaknesses.

Archived