Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2010 NFL Draft - Day 1 (Final)

JimmiJo

ES Coverage: 2010 NFL Draft - Day 1

04/22/10

:helmet:

Guess who's back?

Greetings my friends. JimmiJo here to bring you all the action from Redskins Park on this glorious day 1 of the 2010 NFL Draft.

I haven't done much around here for a while, but with Murf being terminally lazy, and asking that I pitch in, I gladly stepped up. I can normally be found over at Warpath Confidential using the alias John Pappas. But tonight I'm all yours.

Except for the parts where I am somewhere else.

The excitment here is palpable. Picture a room with two large flat panel TVs and a dozen middle-aged writers. Man, it doesn't get any better. The good news is they are supposed to feed us, so at least I've got that going for me.

So with the draft set to begin in an hour, what do you think? We've been treated to a slew of rumors and depending on whom you listen to, every possible scenario could happen. They could trade up, they could trade down, they could pick the safety Eric Berry, the tackle Trent Williams, Russell Okung, or get Sam Bradford is he is there.

I'll tell you what I think and get it out of the way: The Redskins select Okung with the number 4 pick. I think everything else has been a smoke screen. Detroit might go offensive tackle so maybe floating the Williams interest is a way to boost his stock so that Washington can land Okung.

That being said, if they take Williams, I'm still pretty happy. If they take Berry, I will throw up in my mouth.

For the record, I'm not predicting this as a lock, just my thoughts. Anything could happen, and that's why you are reading this and we are watching what happens begining at 7:30PM.

I am aware of the rumors regarding the Vikings' interest in Haynesworth. I have already heard mixed things on this, so not sure where it is actually at. I got excited when I first heard the report because it suggested Washington could get more picks, something they desparately need.

Ok, I'm going to take of some business here. I would like to hear what you guys think is going to happen.

6:50PM

With less than an hour to go, the big news here is that they have not brought us any pizza.

Other than that, the press room is doing roughly what you are out in Internet land - waiting.

The way this normally works is that the team will make the pick. We will find out when you do. Shortly after however, we will get the selection on a conference call for an interview. I will post the audio of this.

Later this evening we are going to have a presser with Bruce Allen, and I will get you that audio as well.

As we go feel free to chime in. I will answer as many questions as I can.

7:10PM

Press room has filled up. No hot rumors here. Worst of all; no pizza.

Curse you pizza gods!

7:30PM

Time to get this puppy started. The pizza got here in the nick of time, so we are fat and happy.

Here's to a good draft!

And with the fourth pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Washington Redskins select Trent Williams.

Offensive Tackle

University of Oklahoma Sooners

6:04.5-314

Longview, Texas

Longview High school

Williams started 39-of-50 games during his Oklahoma career, including twelve at left tackle and 27 on the right side…He registered 369 knockdowns and 36 touchdown resulting blocks that included 230 knockdown blocks in his final two seasons, averaging 9.2 knockdowns and 0.84 touchdown-resulting blocks per game as a junior and senior combined…Also recorded five tackles (3 solos).

8:10PM

Ok, we are standing by to get him on the phone. I'll get the audio up once I get it.

More on Williams:

CAMPUS AGILITY TESTS

4.82 in the 40-yard dash…1.69 10-yard dash…2.84 20-yard dash…4.66 20-yard shuttle…7.58 three-cone drill…32-inch vertical jump…9’4” broad jump…Bench pressed 225 pounds 21 times…375-pound bench press…34 ¼-inch arm

length…9 ¾-inch hands.

Fun Fact

For the third straight year, the Redskins have drafted a player who attended Longview H.S. is Texas. Malcolm Kelly, Robert Henson, and Trent Williams

9:20PM

We will be interviewing Shanahan is about 20 minutes they tell us. Will have audio up after.

10:30PM

Here's a quick piece on Shanahan's comments on Haynesworth.

12:00AM

Guys, enjoyed the heck out of tonight. I like the pick and think the Redskins helped themselves a lot. Thought Okung was better, but what the hell do I know?

I know that they had to have a tackle, and they got one.

What's not to like?

I will be on hand tomorrow in case the team makes a trade. Talk to you then.

AUDIO

To listen to comments from Trent Williams click HERE

To listen to comments from Coach Shanahan click HERE

:helmet:

:ols::ols::ols: You and me both.

Great to be back in the draft thread for another year with you JimmiJo!

On a side note, my 2,000 post just may be in this thread about our selection this year. :D

I hope it's one where you love the pick, and not where you are cussing the team out.

:)

John, I see a little color has come to your black and white world.

Any chatter at Redskins Park right now? Any increased activity or does it seem calm and cool?

They have us relegated to another building, and even when we were in the building, the powers that be would be holed-up in the war room.

So, can't say. There is no real buzz here in the press room.

In other words, we have no damn idea.

They have us relegated to another building, and even when we were in the building, the powers that be would be holed-up in the war room.

So, can't say. There is no real buzz here in the press room.

In other words, we have no damn idea.

An honest reporter - appreciate it though. :)

Thanks for the coverage - your work is highly thought of in this household.

But I do like how this FO is keeping everything close to the vest. It is a refreshing change of pace - the future looks very good with this regime.

Jamie Little > Erin Andrews > Rachel Nichols.

Ready to go. I'm with a previous poster - take Okung. He is solid and can be a mainstay on the line for twelve years. You can't go wrong with him.

:needpics:

Okung or Williams please :fingersx:

Archived