Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WPC: Portis to the haters: “I’ve got something for y’all”

JimmiJo

Well, I guess.

What i was saying is whichever back that gets the most carries will have the lowest YPC. I'm pretty sure whoever starts the game will get the most carries.

I know what you're getting at but, again, not all situations are like that. For example:

• In 2002 Portis split carries with Anderson and Olandis Gary, overwhelmingly had more carries than both, and averaged a full yard or so more per carry than either of those guys.
  • In 2007 both Travis Henry and Selvin Young split time as the starter. With the exception of one game that season whoever started and got the brunt of the load had the highest average per carry for that game.

Your view seems to hinge on the correlation between YPC and durability that doesn't apply itself to all backs equally. Some guys are more effective on 10-15 carries (Tatum Bell), some are more effective on 15-20 carries (Clinton Portis), and some can take just about whatever you throw at them (Terrell Davis).

I'm one of those "haters" that he called out yesterday. I don't remember exactly what I said about him since last season (you can look it up), but I was, and continue to be, very skeptical if Portis can get back to his top level.

I am thrilled that he seems to be finally going 100% in the offseason, but I fear that it may be too little too late. I have never doubted his effort during the games, his toughness, or his talent and quite frankly I hope he proves me 100% wrong about his future.

I find it hard to believe that he (or any other player) thinks that we should always say how great he is and never question him, no matter how many practices he skips, how many times he undermines the coaches, and how little he produces. There are very few people in the history of the Redskins that have earned the right to never be questioned, but Clinton isn't one of them yet.

I've never had a problem with Portis on the field but off of it is a different story. I watched the two interviews of him and McNabb yesterday the one with McNabb I heard a lot of us and we the one with Clinton had a lot of I and me. It seems to be more of the same Portis as before but I hope I'm wrong

The coming season will see Portis become the Redskins leading rusher of all time and that will be without the Hogs lining up in front of him. Portis got heavy at the request of the coaches to play the power running game and probably shortened his playing career in the process just to help the team. He criticised Campbell and the OL, big deal, he would feel at home on Extremeskins then. If we have fixed the OL and give him somewhere to run then I for one am looking forward to seeing Portis in the upcoming season.

I've never had a problem with Portis on the field but off of it is a different story. I watched the two interviews of him and McNabb yesterday the one with McNabb I heard a lot of us and we the one with Clinton had a lot of I and me. It seems to be more of the same Portis as before but I hope I'm wrong

I get what your saing, but it seems to me that the media was asking him more personal questions.

Archived