Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Harvey Unga to enter Supplemental Draft. Worth a Look?

DC Lumber Co.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/380108-breaking-news-harvey-unga-leaving-byu-after-honor-code-violation

dont know much about him. looked up a few highlight videos and he seems to be a good pass catcher out of the backfield. seems a little slow for halfback but might be worth a look for sellers replacement?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IslHdkd9pD8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IslHdkd9pD8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I like what I see. The biggest thing I noticed was that, despite not being very fast, the guy can move his feet. Often times big backs like to lower a shoulder and "plow through" a defender. In reality, a big, strong back can be very effective if he can give a small move, and then plow through.

By giving that small step-juke, the runner ensures that defenders are hitting him from the side, not head on. This allows him to power through what have become arm tackles through his lateral movement. Instead of pushing through tackles straight on, he gives himself an angle that allows himself to attack the tackles at their weakest point, the arms.

The question is, what kind of a pick will he be going for in the supplemental? 4th or 5th? I'm game. A 3rd seems to high. Then again, it matters where we are picking, doesn't it?

did this kid code break a code of conduct at byu

this raises my eyebrows considering a. the school b. he knew that said school was against his realtionship..

I have to question his judgement a bit considering Byu policy is well known

maybe a nice fullback in wco

He got his girlfriend (who is on the women's bball team) pregnant. Premarital sex is a huge no-no to the Mormons. Not really that big a deal outside the state of Utah.

did this kid code break a code of conduct at byu

this raises my eyebrows considering a. the school b. he knew that said school was against his realtionship..

I have to question his judgement a bit considering Byu policy is well known

maybe a nice fullback in wco

The BYU honor code is completely ridiculous.

You have to get a waiver to grow a ****ing beard. Give me a break.

Pre-marital sex? Big whup.

I'm not saying I want the guy but BYU is insane.

Had Unga been in this draft, he would've been a 1st-2nd round pick. If he is still there in the 4th round of the supplemental draft, I'd take him.

The supplemental draft doesn't work that way I don't think.

I thought teams simply stated, once, upfront, "I will use X pick on Y player." If no one else has a higher "X" value for that player, you get him. So you basically have to guess how much every other team is willing to place on the guy.

We figure most of us would place a 6 on him, but we also figure most other teams would agree. If we want him, we might have to offer a 5, or even a 4 to be sure we'd get him. The question becomes, is he more valuable to us than a 4th round pick in next year's draft?

I thought teams simply stated, once, upfront, "I will use X pick on Y player." If no one else has a higher "X" value for that player, you get him. So you basically have to guess how much every other team is willing to place on the guy.

We figure most of us would place a 6 on him, but we also figure most other teams would agree. If we want him, we might have to offer a 5, or even a 4 to be sure we'd get him. The question becomes, is he more valuable to us than a 4th round pick in next year's draft?

Absolutely. A 4th next year is valued the same as a 5th this year. If Unga were in this draft, he'd be a steal as a 5th round pick.

id say hes worth a 4th

id say hes worth a 4th

I don't know much about the kid, but I don't have any sort of a problem using a 4th on a kid like this. I think supplemental draft guys come in hungry and ready to play, and you basically get them a whole year early to train them up.

It's also helpful because if we don't find any backs in the real draft that Shanny likes and are of value, we can take him. I don't believe Parker and Johnson are both on the opening day roster.

So based on his 40 time and ranking among the 2011 RB's, he looks to be a 3-5 round guy IMO. Since he was a RB not a FB in college he will be looked at a bit higher for the supplemental. I still say he probably gets a 4th/5th selection at best. Remember Jarmon was considered a 1-2 round guy and got a 3rd.

One thing I am unsure of about our 4th round pick...since it could conditionally be given to the Eagles, can we not actually use/trade that pick? We may not have the ability to use the 3rd or 4th in that case.

Had Unga been in this draft, he would've been a 1st-2nd round pick. If he is still there in the 4th round of the supplemental draft, I'd take him.

no chance.... Hes at best a 5th round prospect. He doesnt look very fast, or have quick change of direction. Just because he has good hands, doesnt mean that much. He looks like a pass catching FB in the NFL.

Archived