Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Redskins haven't talked to Titans about Haynesworth

dfbovey

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/14/jeff-fisher-says-he-hasnt-talked-to-redskins-about-haynesworth/

Jeff Fisher says he hasn't talked to Redskins about Haynesworth

Posted by Mike Florio on April 14, 2010 10:13 AM ET

Though rumors that the Redskins are willing to trade defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth haven't subsided, Titans coach Jeff Fisher has gone on the record to make one thing clear.

He hasn't talked to the Redskins about working out a deal to bring Albert back to Tennessee.

"There has been some speculation that I've had conversations with Mike Shanahan, which is false,'' Fisher said, according to Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. "I have not had behind-the-scenes meetings with our people. There have been no discussions. He is under contract with the Redskins and we are dwelling on the draft right now."

Though the headline in the Tennesean indicates that Fisher said Haynesworth won't be back at all, we see nothing in the article suggesting that the door is closed. Instead, Fisher says only that there have been no talks, that Haynesworth is under contract with the Redskins, and that the head coach "doesn't deal in hypotheticals."

The position makes perfect sense. Last year, the Titans instigated a tampering investigation regarding their belief (and the belief of everyone with a beating heart and an ounce of common sense) that the Redskins were talking to Haynesworth's agent, Chad Speck, about a contract before the free-agency period opened. Fisher hasn't remained the head coach of the Titans for 16 years without being really, really smart. And he's smart enough to not give the Redskins (or anyone else) ammunition to argue that, in the end, the Titans are hypocrites.

Here's the deal. If the Titans truly have no interest in Haynesworth, they can say so, loudly and clearly, without running afoul of the tampering rules. Fisher didn't. And that means the door is still open, even if by only a crack.

If I'm BA, I offer AC and AH for their 1st.

They need a DT like it's nobody's business and they lost VandenBosch...

Their recent success has been due to their defense. If you take that away, they fall apart. It's a deal they have to make IMO.

since when is Florio a solid source for anything?

He took it from The Tennessean...

since when is Florio a solid source for anything?

Since when has the Washington Post or Kelli Johnson been a solid source for anything Redskin related? They certainly haven't been this offseason.

This is just one more thing to add to the pile of evidence to support what some have been saying here for the past few weeks. That the Haynesworth news in the media is overhyped and under supported by any tangible facts. It's all speculation. If they were actively shopping for trades, they would have contacted someone with power in the Titan's organization. But according to Titan's front office officials, that hasn't happened.

Well that's not what Kelli Johnson's" sources" told her:ols::ols: .......somebody's clearly fibbing http://twitter.com/kjohnsoncsn:

Shanahan & Jeff Fisher are also very good friends;trading Haynesworth would give Shanny support from lockeroom; more on csnwashington.com 10:01 AM Apr 7th

via ubertwitter.com

NFL source tells me Wash is trying 2 trade Haynesworth 2 Tenn & DL coach Jim Washburn, who I'm told is only coach to earn Albert's respect.9:56 AM Apr 7th via ubertwitter.com

its no use at this point trying to speculate on whats going to happen. I think its best just to wait and see. Shanny and Allen will continue to keep info close to the vest. therefore alot of these conflicting reports seems to be more about "stiring the pot" by the media, than actual factuals.

I don't know who to believe in all this. We have our local reporters saying AH is being shopped around and Schefter saying nothing is going on. Now Florio is saying there have been no talks with the Titans. So who is in the know? Usually Florio is off on these types of things, but since its inline with what Schefter is saying, I guess I'll have to believe Florio.

I don't know who to believe in all this. We have our local reporters saying AH is being shopped around and Schefter saying nothing is going on. Now Florio is saying there have been no talks with the Titans. So who is in the know? Usually Florio is off on these types of things, but since its inline with what Schefter is saying, I guess I'll have to believe Florio.

Jason Reid and Kelli Johnson have been incredibly inaccurate all offseason.

Schefter is much more reliable.

The Titans accused the Redskins of tampering with Haynesworth before he officially became a free agent last year.

Yes, but how could they ever be seen as hypocritical by acknowledging they spoke with the Redskins FO about a trade? Where's the possible tampering?

Oh I totally agree. Schefter as been spot on about our moves this offseason. That's why I said I guess I'll have to agree with Florio, which is rare.

Yes, but how could they ever be seen as hypocritical by acknowledging they spoke with the Redskins FO about a trade? Where's the possible tampering?

I took it as they don't want to deal with the Redskins for ethical reasons. Matter of principle.

Oh I totally agree. Schefter as been spot on about our moves this offseason. That's why I said I guess I'll have to agree with Florio, which is rare.

Well, like others have said. This is just Florio reposting info from another source and lending his 2 cents to it.

Exactly KJ and JReid have nothing to report because they nor JLC have any connection to the new Redskins front office:ols::ols: It is pretty damn entertaining watching all their "insider info" end up being totally BOGUS:drooley:

It's funny. Any negative articles about Haynesworth, even if they are completely false, jump to about 10 pages instantly, but this is yet another positive article about Haynesworth, with hardly any discussion in here.

Other articles include: Redskins stating they are not looking to trade Haynesworth, Haynesworth is really a caring guy, and Haynesworth stating he is fine playing in the 3-4.

So, I wonder, is the board over-flowing with Drama Queens who can only focus on and exaggerate the negative? Or is it all just coincidence?

:silly:

Exactly KJ and JReid have nothing to report because they nor JLC have any connection to the new Redskins front office:ols::ols: It is pretty damn entertaining watching all their "insider info" end up being totally BOGUS:drooley:

JLC never had any connections with the FO. His game has always been about idle speculation and treating it like it was some sort of fact.

The part that sucks is that this kind of news doesn't get any play on the major outlets or even the local outlets. They'd rather perpetuate drama to keep people reading than report facts. Instead, we hear it from a paper out of Tennessee. Sports reporting might as well be tabloid reporting for the most part.

It's funny. Any negative articles about Haynesworth, even if they are completely false, jump to about 10 pages instantly, but this is yet another positive article about Haynesworth, with hardly any discussion in here.

Other articles include: Redskins stating they are not looking to trade Haynesworth, Haynesworth is really a caring guy, and Haynesworth stating he is fine playing in the 3-4.

So, I wonder, is the board over-flowing with Drama Queens who can only focus on and exaggerate the negative? Or is it all just coincidence?

:silly:

Bingo BCS when the latest Haynesworth article from Bubba's breaking news section gets posted here in the Stadium (by the illustrious JLC ) which is nothing that hasn't already been reported already.It will be 10+ pages deep before the end of the evening. Some will continue to get worked up by what JLC's"sources" say until they SEE Haynesworth at mini camp ,then some of them will feel duped.

Archived