Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are the local expectations for the skins

bleedblue

I dont' think any of us know WHAT to expect from the Skins, though with the off-season acquisitions some measure of improvement over last year would naturally be expected.

Thing is, 75% here will say 9-7 to 11-5 before ANY season. Eternal optimists or blind homers ... or a little of both. :)

As for the Pats? Nothing would surprise me. Strong playoff contender or missing out on the post-season altogether. Just can't tell with them.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

Everyone in town is real cautious. There has been no clear sign that this team will be a contender or be a flop. Honestly most die hards see a tough start, probably 2-4 and hopefully we recover to get to 9-7 or 10-6. Most people would be however very surprised if we go pass the 10 win mark

Ever since the Pats went from 5-11 to the Super Bowl title in one year, I can't really predict anything about them, especially in that very competitive division.

Once again, either is possible, although I don't think that they can rely upon Antowain Smith in their backfield and expect to go anywhere. I also wonder about the overall quality of their WR's, and their O-line for that matter.

On defense, they'll always be good with that secondary and Belichick calling the shots. So, I could see them as bad as 5-11 and as good as winning a couple of playoff games if they got hot. I don't see them winning a championship this time around however.

As for my team, it's reasonable to assume improvement by a couple of games, which places us at 9-7. That gives us an outside shot at a wild card spot. If things break our way, it will be better; if Ramsey's not as good as we hope, or our RB's don't produce, or we can't stop the *&$#%@ run (damn I hate typing that year after year!), or the injury bug hits us, it could be a long season. We too might finish as poor as 6-10, or 5-11. At best, we get to the playoffs and win a game.

Unlike many seasons, you can really say this year is a year the fans of the Redskins can't really expect anything. It is probably pretty cliche, but the Redskins could run from very bad, to very good or anywhere in between. As that can be said for most teams I'll try to clarify.

Barring tremendous numbers of injury issues, the Redskins are a team that is being driven by a young QB in a heavily QB-centered system. If Ramsey is the answer at that spot in this system, the other questions on the team -- i.e. running back and defensive line -- become fixed in the process.

If Ramsey is the answer and is able to throw for 4,000 yards, the running game will work. If he's connecting on passes and not turning the ball over as we did last year the defensive line will be able to play from the lead a bit more and be more able to predict what the offense has to do.

It is fair, therefore, to predict almost any record for the Skins this year and be not totally nuts. You could legitimately argue that if Ramsey is atrocious the Redskins will be 4-12 (though, Spurrier would bench him at some point and play Johnson which probably is good enough for 7-9). If Ramsey is a typical second year QB with some promise, he'll have moments, but he'll also kill the team and a middle of the road prediction is fair.

This is the type of predictions you'll see in the media. The ONE prediction you're not really seeing is the last one. If Ramsey is the atypical second-year player and compiles an 85 or so QB rating while throwing for 4,200 yards what will the Redskins be? Honestly, we'll be a playoff team if not a division winner. That's how important solid QB play in this system is for us. We could get by with Banks in Marty's system. We can't in this system.

In the end though I think the ONLY expectation I have is that this year will answer the future for Lavar, Samuels and Champ. Meaning if we continue to struggle and don't show signs of improvement, they'll force us to release them so they can play elsewhere. If we grow as a team and seem on the verge, they'll find a way to stay put.

Other than that I can't really help you.

I think I'm ready to throw a prediction out there:

The Skins will be a better team by the end of this year. The sticking point is, they play a lot of very good teams this year. I see them finishing 8-8 but that would be considered a much more impressive season than last year based on who the Skins are playing week in and week out.

Next year is the year that Spurrier needs to make a strong run into the playoffs.

My two cents.

As for New England, I think that this is another year that they will be strong and make a deep run into the playoffs. In all honesty, I think too many things broke just right for them during their Super Bowl year so I don't see them getting all the way back, but I can definitely picture them on the road in the AFC Championship game or something.

That prediction is agreable

I figured you'd like that...I hope I'm being overly harsh toward my Skins and they overachieve vs. this schedule but it just seems like a brutal 16 games!

As for your Pats, what does their schedule look like? I realize they are playing the NFC East but what other division are they matched up against?

Unfortunately, I think it would be a miracle for us to make the playoffs under Spurrier. I honestly have not seen anything from Spurrier to make me think that he's not a buffoon. The man would rather lose with his system than win using some deviation from his plays. I will feel much better when we can get a coach in here that likes to utilize his players' strengths, instead of making them something that they're not.

Screw fun 'n gun, we need win 'n win.

Funny thing is we could have made the playoffs last year but for being 30th in turnovers. All the other stuff could have remained. All the penalties and the missed assignments while learning and the limited QB play by Matthews and milking a rookie along as the starter later, and if we have 10 fewer turnovers we legitimately could have made the playoffs.

And, of course, if ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all be full :). The point is there are a number of aspects at play here that were limiting last year that may be reasonably assumed to improve this year. This starts with the entire team's knowledge and stability within the system. Ramsey's natural growth from a rookie to a second year player. Players seemingly better suited for the offense. A stronger kicking game (remember we missed 17 field goals a year ago too). Better special teams, if not in coverage, at least in the return game.

The encouraging thing I took from Spurrier's system last year was he took what can reasonably be argued to be less talented players and improved the offense to 20th in the league overall. And, the most encouraging thing is in the 6.5 games Ramsey actually took part in (meaning 7 total) the Redskins were No. 8 in total offense in terms of yards.

Missed field goals and incredible turnovers limited scoring. Obviously the hope is some of that improves. But, that seems less a system problem than a player problem to me.

Archived