Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Beware the QB Savior

PlayAction

I was ready to accept us drafting Bradford at #4 until the news came out he wont sign a pre draft contract with the Rams.

This tells me the kid is looking to get paid as much as he can before he steps on the field. He thinks what he did in college is enough that he deserves $40mill guarneted type of money, and kids who have that outlook rarely succeed. The last 2 QB's who held out after being drafted where Jamarcus Russell and Brady Quinn, and look what that has gotten them.

I stick by my original 2010 Skins draft mantra: 300 lbs + for the first 2 picks, after that get BPA.

I was ready to accept us drafting Bradford at #4 until the news came out he wont sign a pre draft contract with the Rams.

This tells me the kid is looking to get paid as much as he can before he steps on the field. He thinks what he did in college is enough that he deserves $40mill guarneted type of money, and kids who have that outlook rarely succeed. The last 2 QB's who held out after being drafted where Jamarcus Russell and Brady Quinn, and look what that has gotten them.

I stick by my original 2010 Skins draft mantra: 300 lbs + for the first 2 picks, after that get BPA.

It doesn't tell me that. It tells me that he may not want to play for the Rams. I don't see it being anything about money.

How do you guys get around the drawbacks for each of these potential QB picks (assume Skins have no trade opportunities so they must use either the #4 pick or the very high second round pick).?

Cross your fingers! Maybe a Bradford/Clausen selection is a focus on long term success. I think you trust your evaluation. With the year off how much time has Shanahan put into scouting the QB's? OT is the obvious and safe pick in the short term.

So we shouldn't try to get a good quarterback until one comes out of college with a perfect wonderlic and perfect everything else? Thats they same as saying to never play a hand in poker unless it's Pocket Aces. You have to take a chance at some point or you will never get better.

We have a very high pick right now which means we have the opportunity to get a good prospect at a position that the coach and gm feel we need to upgrade. So why shouldnt we?

I could agree 100% if the Skins were picking around #18 or so. There's always pressure for your first round pick to be a game-changer but less so further down in the first round. Green Bay had the optimal situation IMO in that they were able to have their highly touted first round pick sit for 4? years before they let him take over. The 4th pick in the draft doesn't have that luxury (he can sit one year at most).

QB is the most visible position in football. While the Skins need a good one I think we'll be looking at the 4th pick to save the franchise. I think that's too much pressure unless the guy is ready from day 1.

The Wonderlic is a joke IMO, unless you score in the single digits. Dan Marino didn't have a great Wonderlic score,so did a lot of other solid QB's over the years. As for Bradford, you're way off. The fact that he looked over to the sidelines for the plays has ZERO to do with what happens after the snap, where the reads really count. Pre snap reads in college are'nt that hard anyway. And as far the spread offense detractors, Bradford played under center as a redshirt freshman in '07, and played pretty damn good.

Agree about the Wonderlic. Strongly disagree about pre-snap reads, as I think most NFL QBs would. He didn't have to tell what the coverage was, what the front was, what the linebackers were doing. They did that up in the box and the coaches called in plays from the sidelines based on that. Ain't gonna happen like that in the NFL.

It also has ALOT to do with what happens after the snap. What if Bradford is put in as a rookie. He looks over the defense but isn't used to having to read complex coverages or understand what different shifts mean. So he looks and takes what he sees. The play starts. He decides to go for the WR doing a 7 yard curl route because the corner looks to be playing far off of him. Oops. Missed that safety moving up in the box to jump that route and the linebacker moving over a tad before the snap to cover your other likely read from the slot. Interception.

There are a myriad of ways that sort of thing could happen and cause everything from interceptions to sacks to who knows what else. Yes, the coverages, shifts, and fronts in the college game aren't usually as complex. However, learning how to read it and knowing what to do in different situations and actually doing it in games is going to get a guy much more ready for the NFL game.

Archived