Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who's Shanny's Late Round RB?

RedskinTerrorist

Monterio Hardesty in the 4th.

I honestly see Hardesty going somewhere between the late 2nd and early 3rd...I would be surprised if dropped all the way to the 4th and I'd probably be screaming at my tv for Shanny to have someone literally run the selection up to the podium...just announce it yourself, don't even wait for who's reading the selections that day.

I'll certainly day dream about Christian Ponder throwing a screen to Ryan Williams against the Cowboys though.

That's definately a day dream all right...maybe if they're both playing for another team that has Dallas scheduled that day. I would love to have Williams, but I don't ever see Ponder playing with the Skins...or starting for an NFL team unless a bunch of injuries occur...sorry bro. You keep day dreaming though.

That's definately a day dream all right...maybe if they're both playing for another team that has Dallas scheduled that day. I would love to have Williams, but I don't ever see Ponder playing with the Skins...or starting for an NFL team unless a bunch of injuries occur...sorry bro. You keep day dreaming though.
And you've seen Ponder play how many times?

And you've seen Ponder play how many times?

Quite a bit since I'm a VA Tech fan and I've always followed the ACC. Not to mention when I was only 5 and saw FSU play one Saturday afternoon, I saw the spear on the helmet and thought it was the Skins...so I told my dad who ended up showing me it was FSU. I've followed them ever since. One of my fav college players of all time was Terrell Buckley...collected his rookie cards as a kid.

Just giving you my honest opinion of Ponder...I don't see Tyrod Taylor lighting up scoreboards on Sunday either so no worries, not attacking you for liking Ponder. Just saying it's more than likely a day dream but hey, keep on and enjoy it if it gives you something to look forward to.

Edit: Oh, and sorry about the whole Bobby Bowden losing victories thing and then retiring...always liked and respected him as a coach.

Just giving you my honest opinion of Ponder...I don't see Tyrod Taylor lighting up scoreboards on Sunday either so no worries, not attacking you for liking Ponder. Just saying it's more than likely a day dream but hey, keep on and enjoy it if it gives you something to look forward to.
I'm not one to pump up FSU prospects, and I've certainly never done it around here.

But Ponder plays in a pro style offense, makes his own pre-snap reads, he's extremely intelligent, he's accurate, he already has very good mechanics, he has prototypical NFL QB size (6'3'' and 230), he can climb a pocket and can scramble outside of one, and the most notable guy he plays with is Rodney Hudson, a 2nd-3rd round OG prospect next year. And he has one of the best pro style QB coaches in college in Jimbo Fisher.

If I were going to criticize Ponder, it would be for his arm strength and his durability, but his arm strength, while not a cannon, is above average, and his durability has only been a problem because he ran too much this past season.

He's the best QB in the ACC and he'll stand out as one of the best pro style QBs in the country this season.

I'm not one to pump up FSU prospects, and I've certainly never done it around here.

But Ponder plays in a pro style offense, makes his own pre-snap reads, he's extremely intelligent, he's accurate, he already has very good mechanics, he has prototypical NFL QB size (6'3'' and 230), he can climb a pocket and can scramble outside of one, and the most notable guy he plays with is Rodney Hudson, a 2nd-3rd round OG prospect next year. And he has one of the best pro style QB coaches in college in Jimbo Fisher.

If I were going to criticize Ponder, it would be for his arm strength and his durability, but his arm strength, while not a cannon, is above average, and his durability has only been a problem because he ran too much this past season.

He's the best QB in the ACC and he'll stand out as one of the best pro style QBs in the country this season.

Well if he does succeed, and rises above my expectations for him, then feel free to tell me about it this time next year. I hope he does achieve greatness, but I just don't see it happening. It's probably just my pessimism blowing over from having watched JC do the same thing at Auburn for a few years only to see what he's doing now. Ponder has never really impressed me, but doesn't mean he can't. Good luck this season and look forward to VA Tech meeting up with FSU in the ACC Championship game!

Edit: Just hit 500 posts, so feel free to say "hey, remember on your 500th?" lol

What is there not to like about Williams?

He's the perfect size at 5'10'' and a compact 205-210, he's an extremely decisive, quick runner, he can run with a little power when he has to, and he's an absolute lock to run in the 4.4 to 4.3 range. And that's without even looking at the insane year he had this past season.

I don't think I would trade up to get him, just because he's a RB and I don't know that any RB is worth trading up for in the first round.

But I would certainly love to have him.

Of course, it really depends on how we address the QB situation between now and then. 2011 will probably be a much better QB class, and we might be looking for a QB in the 1st round.

I'll certainly day dream about Christian Ponder throwing a screen to Ryan Williams against the Cowboys though.

:ols:

It was mostly a joke, I know you're too reasonable to not see that Williams is a monster just because he plays for Tech...but you'd be surprised at some people.

LaGarrette Blount, Oregon - 6'0, 238 lbs. Low 4.5 40 at his pro-day.

I think we'd get him in the 4th, MAYBE 5th, but I highly doubt it.

He is like Ryan Torain (who Shanny drafted in '08) without the injuries. I think Blount has a floor of Brandon Jacobs and a ceiling of Steven Jackson. Remember, before the punch, he was a 1st round prospect.

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner.

With Blount's issues in college he could fall to us in the 4th. IMO Hardesty, Tate and Mattews will all be gone either by or in the 3rd round. Blount had a great week of practice at the Senior Bowl and played good in the game scoring a TD on a 27 yard run. He is tweener in that he is built like a power back but has the cut back ability to break long runs. I'd love to see him in B&G.

i dont see us drafting a RB at all this year. weve got portis and johnson, and shanny is in love with this aldridge kid so i cant see us drafting a RB to be the 4th back on this team, especially considering the holes weve got.

im still hoping we recoup some extra picks, i just dont see us using 1 of our 5 on a RB, with the holes at QB/OL/CB.

Alfonso Smith RB Kentucky Smith ran for only 712 yards in his four years at Kentucky, but the 6-0, 211-pound senior put on a show for scouts at his pro day with 4.38 40, 36" vertical, 19 reps. That size and speed, along with his ability as a reciever and kick returner, will intrigue a team enough to at least make a call to his agent on Saturday afternoon to secure his services after the draft - if he's not picked up late

i dont see us drafting a RB at all this year. weve got portis and johnson, and shanny is in love with this aldridge kid so i cant see us drafting a RB to be the 4th back on this team, especially considering the holes weve got.

im still hoping we recoup some extra picks, i just dont see us using 1 of our 5 on a RB, with the holes at QB/OL/CB.

Which is why the Johnson signing was entirely bone headed to me.

Why bring in a guy that has barely anything left in the tank to back up a guy with barely anything left in the tank? Keep Portis and Betts and draft a new guy like a Blount for some fresh legs.

Which is why the Johnson signing was entirely bone headed to me.

Why bring in a guy that has barely anything left in the tank to back up a guy with barely anything left in the tank? Keep Portis and Betts and draft a new guy like a Blount for some fresh legs.

because hes a bruiser and nobody cares if he takes a beating behind our oline. our oline is still gonna have some problems this year IMO even if we get some new starters. the pipe dream of us drafting 5 olineman is just silly. if we walk away from this draft with 2 starters on opening day i will be thrilled, but our staff knows our oline is a work in progress.

so you build the oline, and stick some aging guys behind it who you really dont care about their health. portis gets injured? big deal, his time is coming to a close. johnson gets injured? big deal, hes cheap and older. they dont wanna waste a pick on a rookie who might not reach his potential behind an oline that might have issues.

you also have to factor in that if our pass game doesnt improve, whoever we stick at RB is going to face a lot of stacked boxes and blitzing, and id rather have a powerback like johnson back there to take that beating than some rookie.

i personally like the CP/LJ combo, because its win win. if they both regain their form and our oline is decent/solid, theyll both perform well. if they both regain their form and our oline is still struggling, i trust theyll still put up respectable numbers. and if everything is struggling, all we did was get younger on the oline and abuse a few RBs who are already headed towards the end of their careers.

I'd like Hardesty, but I honestly think he goes in the 3rd round, if he's there in the 4th we'd have to snag him. Joe Mcknight seems like somebody we have a better shot at, Brandon Tate as well, but Hardesty would be my first choice.

I would go along with this. Hardesty if there for sure.

i personally like the CP/LJ combo, because its win win. if they both regain their form and our oline is decent/solid, theyll both perform well. if they both regain their form and our oline is still struggling, i trust theyll still put up respectable numbers. and if everything is struggling, all we did was get younger on the oline and abuse a few RBs who are already headed towards the end of their careers.

I tend to agree. I too think the LJ signing was good for us, and really there isn't much we have to lose (im not sad about cartwright and betts).

Honestly, we don't really need a rb in the draft. I suppose I am just excited to have a coach that likes to find diamonds RBs in the ruff.

For me, nothing beats bringing in a 6-7th rounder (or undrftd FA) and developing him into a stud.

Some people are forgetting that if we do bring in a late round pick or UDFA he will need to be able to play ST's, so blount, tate or even Hardesty are all good backs but none have played ST's before. If and when they do it will be a guy that can helps us in more ways than just playing rb!

I tend to agree. I too think the LJ signing was good for us, and really there isn't much we have to loose (im not sad about cartwright and betts).

Honestly, we don't really need a rb in the draft. I suppose I am just excited to have a coach that likes to find diamonds RBs in the ruff.

For me, nothing beats bringing in a 6-7th rounder (or undrftd FA) and developing him into a stud.

Yeah...Portis, Johnson and Alridge are good enough for right now. The picks this year should be skewed to both fronts.

I see the trend is tate, hardesty which most likely wont be there in the fourth they really had a great combine. Oh yeah I also hear blount, which IMO is a good back but no different from the type of backs we have now in portis and johnson and he is a hot head. I would like it if we drafted a back by the name of Joique Bell from Wayne State. 17 tds in 4 games that is great at any level of football. The best part is I think we might be able to get him later then the 4th round.:logo:

Check this link out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGNMt1ZzJ3Q

Archived