Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Repo Men

Hubbs

I'm going out to see a movie tonight, and I think the friend I'm going with would be down for pretty much anything. I thought Repo Men looked really cool from the advertisements and trailers I saw, but it's got a pretty dismal 20% on Rotten Tomatoes. One reviewer who I generally trust really liked it, though. Is there anyone here who's seen it already and could recommend whether we see Repo or go with something else?

Damn it...we were gonna see it tonight (even though the Rotten Tomatoes' consensus looks grim) and I was gonna report...but we missed the time and saw Green Zone...which probably should generate more "interesting" political commentary in here than Avatar did, but probably won't :pfft:

Ha, we wound up seeing the Green Zone, too. Thought it was a pretty decent war flick, and having read some reviews before hand, I also thought the whole "Hollywood liberal bias OMG" angle was way overblown. We never found WMDs in Iraq. That much is true. This movie was a fictionalized story about one relatively plausible way that the WMD story could have been perpetuated by certain intelligence higher-ups if they didn't want to be embarrassed by the news that they were wrong in their initial assessments. I know, I know, there were multiple lines about what the Bush administration "wanted to hear," but I remember the buildup to the eventual invasion, and by the time the first cruise missile was fired, there were already asses that needed to be covered. It's fiction, for God's sake.

Ha, we wound up seeing the Green Zone, too. Thought it was a pretty decent war flick, and having read some reviews before hand, I also thought the whole "Hollywood liberal bias OMG" angle was way overblown. We never found WMDs in Iraq. That much is true. This movie was a fictionalized story about one relatively plausible way that the WMD story could have been perpetuated by certain intelligence higher-ups if they didn't want to be embarrassed by the news that they were wrong in their initial assessments. I know, I know, there were multiple lines about what the Bush administration "wanted to hear," but I remember the buildup to the eventual invasion, and by the time the first cruise missile was fired, there were already asses that needed to be covered. It's fiction, for God's sake.

Yeah, I saw that movie last night. I read the reviews for it which were mixed and afterwards I could tell that reguardless of the actual movie (cinematography, acting, etc.) people were going to like it based on who they support politically. Obviously the movie had a fictitional plot line, but I think the main point of it was to show how crazy our intervention was in Iraq for the people mixed with the fact that even before 9/11 Bush had Iraqi invasion plans on his desk. Heck, even before Bush plans were written and put on Clinton's desk. So with the war drums beating, it is easy to draw a connection with the movies plot describing a government willing to twist any fact necessary to back their decision for war.

The problem is that most Americans won't be willing to analyze the movie deeper than the surface. Too many Republicans will cry that it is liberal political propaganda, and too many Democrats will run with the story that played out on the screen as it was a true story.

It's fiction, for God's sake.

Yup, and it's fair gist for the discussion mill as a hypothetical, but I have little doubt many will think it's factual as told.;)

Back to Repo Man...think I'm gonna wait for DVD. But I do think I'll have to go rent and watch the original. I saw it back in the day, and remember it was "far out" but don't remember much about it due to chemical imbalances and seeing it right after Buckaroo Banzai. :D

Archived