Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo!: "Oz" Could be Next Big Film Franchise

MattFancy

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-oz-next-franchise.html?nc

It appears Dorothy Gale is, once again, not going to be in Kansas any more. With the "Harry Potter" franchise winding down, Warner Brothers has set their sights on building another franchise geared toward young adults based on one of the most popular films of all time, "The Wizard of Oz" .

Warner Brothers has had two separate projects in development over the past year centered around wide-eyed Dorothy Gale from Kansas -- a role made iconic by Judy Garland in 1939 -- who finds herself swept off (literally) to a magical land full of eccentric creatures called Oz. The box-office take of "Alice in Wonderland" -- $133 million domestically, and counting -- makes this project seem even more attractive.

I guess Hollywood really has run out of ideas.

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. Is there anything of which one can say, "Look! This is something new"? It was here already, long ago; it was here before our time.

I'd be excited to see this. The only issue is that this is truly a CLASSIC movie and now you're messing with that. I suppose if they did a completely different version and stayed true to the books, it would be OK.

That's really the attraction here, a non-musical, closer to the book adaptation of the story.

This story doesn't seem to cover John Boorman's animated version of 'The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz', which is currently in development.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/john-boorman--a-very-english-visionary-is-back-1774989.html

Archived