Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins signed former Chiefs tight end Sean Ryan to a one-year contract.

BringBackMcCants

OK. Then we just disagree then.

Personally I'd prefer to trade one of the pass catching TEs for a starting lineman that will play every down. Particularly given the state of our o-line.

You have to consider how rare it is to have 2 pass catching TEs on the field at the same time and ask yourself whether the team is better served by having less depth at TE but a better o-line.

Again, I say build the o-line first then fill in the holes around it. Depth at pass catching TE is a much lower priority imho.

I see what you're saying, and that makes sense. I respect your opinion all the way.

How would I know the plan? I'm not Mike Shanahan or Bruce Allen.

I would guess we're going to wait until June 1st to pick up some other linemen once they've had a chance to evaluate their personnel live, on the field. Or maybe just after the first minicamps as well.

There's nothing out there, and there hasn't been. Clifton is old and doesn't fit. Pashos is coming off of surgery. Who else was there?

Well lets see...

Mitch Erickson - Guard from Denver

Adam Terry - Tackle from Ravens

Bobbie Williams - Guard from Bengals

Kevin Mawae - Center from Tennessee

Or you could check any of these men:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2010/fa/ol.html

Point is that there are players out there still who can help us with depth or possible starters besides those two names you mentioned and that's my point.

It's easy.

Kemo Eat U!

Speaking of him I just read about him getting bonuses for getting back to full health. I hope those bonuses don't go to him until he starts making a impact at full health. I don't mean necessarily sacks but making easier for Haynesworth and our other DL/DB to get into the back field to get the QB or RB.

Again, I say build the o-line first then fill in the holes around it. Depth at pass catching TE is a much lower priority imho.

I don't understand why it matters what order we sign guys in...

There's not a 53-Man roster limit. If we're interested in someone who we think can compete, why not sign them? It's a one-year deal. That certainly doesn't mean we've stopped looking at offensive line help.

remember what happened when Cooley went down last season, Davis stepped in and shined. Imagine if the samething happened this year, but with only one pass catching TE on the roster? Yes, 2 Pass catching TEs is a luxury, but a needed luxury.

It comes down to priorities for me.

Would you rather have more depth at receiving TE or a starting o-lineman? (Incidentally I wouldn't trade either Davis or Cooley for anything less than a starting o-lineman or a draft pick that would net a starter.)

Considering the fact that the combination of our 2 pass catching TEs and atrocious o-line helped us to the 4th pick in the draft I'd go for anything that could potentially improve our line. Like it or not one of the few assets we have that would be coveted by other teams is our TE depth.

I say we have to do what is best for the team and if that means trading an asset at a position of strength then so be it.

It comes down to priorities for me.

Would you rather have more depth at receiving TE or a starting o-lineman? (Incidentally I wouldn't trade either Davis or Cooley for anything less than a starting o-lineman or a draft pick that would net a starter.)

Considering the fact that the combination of our 2 pass catching TEs and atrocious o-line helped us to the 4th pick in the draft I'd go for anything that could potentially improve our line. Like it or not one of the few assets we have that would be coveted by other teams is our TE depth.

I say we have to do what is best for the team and if that means trading an asset at a position of strength then so be it.

A blocking TE is as much a part of the OL as anyone else.

We may be looking to trade wither Davis or Cooley, since Shanahan doesn't use a lot of 2 TE sets, so he doesn't need 2 superstar Tight Ends.

I definitely didn't know that about Shanahan. I might have saw something different, but doesn't Kyle run 2 TE sets? I'm not sure personally, I just want to make sure.

We don't have to get it. As long as they have a plan, I'm okay with that... And I'm willing to give Shanahan and Allen at LEAST one season to start having that plan come together before I start bugging out, but that's just me :)

I agree let them work their magic....I just see it as the FO adding to the roster for the mini camps and preseason...plus the fact that it is a one year contract tells me that Cooley and Davis are safe.

I don't understand why it matters what order we sign guys in...

There's not a 53-Man roster limit. If we're interested in someone who we think can compete, why not sign them? It's a one-year deal. That certainly doesn't mean we've stopped looking at offensive line help.

True-- the order has little to do with priority-- I agree with you on that.

The most important thing we can do, roster wise, in the off season is to improve the o-line. The order or how and when we get there and what moves come first is irrelevant.

The priority though does matter. At the end of the off season, after all moves have been made and the dust has settled we need above all else to have a much improved o-line-- this to me is priority alpha.

We must be willing to achieve this priority even if it means sacrificing the luxury of passing TE depth.

Well lets see...

Mitch Erickson - Guard from Denver

Adam Terry - Tackle from Ravens

Bobbie Williams - Guard from Bengals

Kevin Mawae - Center from Tennessee

Or you could check any of these men:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2010/fa/ol.html

Point is that there are players out there still who can help us with depth or possible starters besides those two names you mentioned and that's my point.

i havent heard any of these guys in talks with other teams. so if no one is going after them, they might not be too good. also its still early. we still have over a month until our first mini camp followed by the draft a few days after. so why bid against ourselves. make them wait.

if we still have the same oline come april 21 ill be a little disappointed but lets wait and see

OK. Then we just disagree then.

Personally I'd prefer to trade one of the pass catching TEs for a starting lineman that will play every down. Particularly given the state of our o-line.

You have to consider how rare it is to have 2 pass catching TEs on the field at the same time and ask yourself whether the team is better served by having less depth at TE but a better o-line.

how often do you have 3, 4 or 5 Wrs on the field so why carry so many on the roster . How often do we use 3 RBs in a game ?

Davis is quality depth and gives us an additional weapons on offense . A good coach finds a way to maximize the strengths .

Remember Davis was a converted WR and so has the athleticism to drift out into the slot and Cooley moved around a lot in his early career as the HB . These are not simply guys who can be affective coming off a chip block on a DE and drifting out to an underneath zone .

TE is one area where we have depth . Why give that away just because we need depth on the OL . No one is going to trade away a young promising OT for Cooley or Davis straight up because they know we are trading from a possition of weakness and solid OL in most systems are more important and less expensive than a flashy TE .

This seems more like a move to replace Yoda who is not currently under contract .

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!! We signed someone other than an OL!!!! we are dooooooooooomed!!

Bruce Allen said that free agency will not be a single day for us. We are bringing people in, signing who we like or who will fit in at the price we set. I am sure we will get some OL help, but it will be on the terms the FO set at the beginning of free agency. Sure we could go wild and sign a bunch of OL. The people will ***** and moan about how old/injury prone/short/tall/fat/skinny they are. What happens when we have a cap for 2011? Obviously our FO is working as if we will have one and I am sure they want our cap situation to be as healthy as possible when we get it.

How about we let the pros do their work and do what we are supposed to do...cheer for our team.

How about we let the pros do their work and do what we are supposed to do...cheer for our team.

That takes all the fun out of the forum though! Playing armchair Gm is always fun!

I am fine with bringing in a TE for competition plus if we had to deal Cooley for a player and/or picks I would be happy with that too!

Great signing! Clearly he isn't here to compete with Cooley or Davis. (they will have to compete with each other) The move is obvious, Shanny and Allen feel he is a better blocking TE than Yoder. Last I checked, Jamaal Charles was a beast down the stretch for the Chiefs. (won my fantasy league for me) I'm sure he had something to do with it. Now the question is how much did he have to do with it? As merely fans you and I don't know but Shanny and Allen do.

Archived