Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any media backlast for the Chicago Bearskins?

KevinthePRF

Can someone...ANYONE...please name a MLB FA that year that was better than Fletcher? Please? There isn't one. Which made him the best available at his position that year. Jeebus.

"Best available at that position" does NOT equal "Big Name Free Agent"...

Not to mention that restricting the list to middle linebackers instantly weakens your argument lol..."Can someone, ANYONE, please name me a long snapper FA that year that was better than Albright? Please? There isn't one. Which made him the best available at that position that year. Jeebus."

By that logic, Albright was a "big name" free agent signing lol...see how ridiculous that sounds?

Here's the thing: "Big name" free agents are deemed so regardless of what their position is. Haynesworth was a "big name" free agent not because he was the best DT available, but because he was the best free agent available, period, regardless of position. Those are the players that the media rightfully refers to as "big name" free agent...either that, or players who have a lot of name recognition even if their production doesn't necessarily match it (Hall, ARE). Fletcher doesn't fit into either category. Neither does Dockery.

And for the record, as far a linebackers overall are concerned, for that offseason these players were ranked on some lists as ahead of Fletcher:

Na'il Diggs

Cato June

Adalius Thomas

This is getting stupid. If you want to think he wasn't a big name, fine. Maybe I watch more football than you do. He filled the biggest need here, and he was the best person available. He's proven that over the years it was a big signing, and he makes the money he deserves.

Some people hated on Ade Jimoh, even when he had good games. I think the same is going on here. Believe me, I'm sure front offices recognized him as a big name signing at the time.

London Fletcher-Baker, UFA, Buffalo Bills

Fletcher is good, plain and simple. He’ll be 32 heading into next season, but he’s still producing as one of the top linebackers, with 146 total tackles, two sacks, and four interceptions credited to him during the 2006 season. Fletcher hasn’t missed a game in his career, and he’s also tallied 119 total tackles or more in every season since 2000. If the Bills don’t get him to sign an extension, expect Fletcher to garner attention from several teams looking for a veteran presence that can make things happen on the field. Wherever Fletcher ends up, he’ll be brought in to act as a defensive leader and to make big plays. Ultimately, he could be the cream of the crop in terms of available linebackers.

Here's a little blurb from 2007. People thought that of him then, and they were right.

Diggs? No one thought he was better. Injured, and couldn't step up when asked to.

Adailius Thomas, you are right. The media loved him. And he was a top FA. (but he wasn't needed here at all)

This is getting stupid. If you want to think he wasn't a big name, fine. Maybe I watch more football than you do.....

You may be right.....because NO ONE outside of Skins or Bills fans, or people who are glued to every game on Sundays, even knows who London Fletcher IS! He's made the Pro Bowl ONCE in his career and he's almost out of the league now. I'm not saying he's not a great player but being great and being a "big name" aren't synonymous. Sorry man, I love Fletch, but he wasn't a "big name" guy.

Ade Jimoh?! Come on man, you can do better than using Ade Jimoh in a "big name" argument!

Besides, I don't think it's signing the "big names" that got us our reputation (other than in 2000), I think it's signing "other guys" to ridiculous contracts just because we want them so bad we'll pay anything to keep them from others. That's where I think we went wrong. It's going to take a few years to wear that reputation down. Personally I think it's crap that the Bears have been given a free pass, especially since they signed a guy, 3 years older than Big Al when we signed him, to a similar contract.

Adailius Thomas, you are right. The media loved him. And he was a top FA.

If he's the "big name" the words, "Could be" wouldn't have been in that sentence. He was big for the Skins, but Adalius Thomas was one of the "big name" FAs that season, not Fletcher.

Ade Jimoh?! Come on man, you can do better than using Ade Jimoh in a "big name" argument!

I was using Ade as an example of how people see what they want to see. He would get burnt over and over, then people would rag on his play, even when he had a great game. It didn't matter how he played. To those people he sucked and that was that. Same with Dock for a while. He would have a lights out game, and people would still complain.

Well the same is true in reverse for Fletch. He has always produced, and always been a force his whole career. When he was signed I certainly thought he was a big name at the time. I guess you didn't.

Anyway, this was about Longshot saying we haven't been involved in FA 3 out of the last 4 years, which I found laughable. Doesn't matter if you agree, etc. that's what a message board is all about.

Can someone...ANYONE...please name a MLB FA that year that was better than Fletcher? Please? There isn't one. Which made him the best available at his position that year. Jeebus.

I can tell you his teammate from the Bills, Takeo Spikes, was considered a bigger signing going to the Eagles the same offseason we acquired Fletcher.

How long had Fletcher been snubbed for the Probowl until this season? Seems a "big name" wouldn't continually be snubbed by fans.

Plus, we got Fletch on a reasonable contract, look at his overall contract, not just his cap hit for 1 year.

Plus, just because he may have been the best available at his position that year doesn't make him a big name. And I don;t recall anyone saying "typical Redskins" over the Fletch signing, the move was highly favored by media and fans, overall, because Fletch is a blue collar guy, hyard worker, familiar with GWs system, better than Lemar Marshall, and he signed for a reasonable contract.

Smoot was only a big name outside Redskin land because of the boat incident.

London Fletcher may be a known name, but his signing wasn't a big free agency splash, which was the argument. An offseason of signing Fletch and Smoot at decent contracts is hardly making a big splash in free agency.

Too bad the Redskins missed out on Clifton. He is an absolute rock star. Cream of the LT crop, one of the most important positions on any team too. If only they could have grabbed him, offseason champs once again! ;)

Archived