Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should we be suprised???

Renegade7

Last couple times we had an offseason like this where we did what we were "supposed" to do under Gibbs, we made the playoffs. I'd rather us go and spend the money to get the best of the best, not shying away from it. But if Allen/Shanny are thinking what I think they're thinking, we're going to get rid of who we should truely get rid of, and fill the holes we really need to fill. We could very well plug up the o-line with old vets and rookies, plus add a true nfl FS, and be contending for the playoffs. Deep down inside, you step back and look at it, we could win more games by just doing that for starters.

We could end up getting some much needed depth at linebacker, DT, and corner, turn around and really shock people. 4-12 last year, but a lot of close games the last couple years. Great coaching can do wonders.

I want more $$$$$$ being spent, but that's just me. Usually when we play it cool like this, we end being better then expected. Talent here, so if this is the route we choose, we'd better make it work. 4-12, 5-11, will not be tolerated after we were just offered a "get out of jail free" card with this uncapped year. Not by me, Hell no.

Anyone think this is a front and we're just waiting for the tidal wave of cuts to come tomorrow? We could've given Peppers the Arab Money he's looking to get in Chicago, but we didn't; so to me, it looks like we're waiting for the true value players to sift to the surface over the next couple days. So what do ya'll think is really going?

I think the front office is being much more patient than the Vinny+Danny regimes in the past and it's making people panic.

Remember that we barely made any major moves during Marty's one offseason but we ended up being fine.

I trust that our football people can make the correct decision and not spend $100 million on a 30 year old Julius Peppers.

I think we and the media just got owned by allen and shanny. (which is a good thing)

I'm happy for the moment, I want to see what they do in the next couple of weeks before I give a thumbs up but it looks like they are doing things right in redskins country.

HELL YEAH WHAT ARE WE DOING???? We only got 5 draft picks this year. We get rid of Rock a very productive player trying to go after sproiles. Get rid of 9 other players to free up 30 mil in cap space IOT sign some free agents. We don't go aggressively after neither dansby or peppers so now there pretty much gone. At least I would think we would go after a DB or a FS there are a lot of them out there, for god sake cromartie went for a conditional 2011 pick are you serious he is a major upgrade from smoot, that we could have got for nothing. But no we go after Chad Clifton from the packers, our first choice was a tackle? I agree wit going after him because we really have no OT as of right now worth anything, but First? He was still gonna be there Monday LOL. All I keep hearing is that we can address are weaknesses in the draft. How do we expect to fill at least 4 OL slots, RB, QB, DB, LB, DT with 5 NFL picks. Shannahan is a great coach but I don't believe that he is a magician. Come on pick it up or we are gonna end up 4-12 again no matter who are coach and GM is.:mad::logo:

^Nah, man, you don't honestly believe we're going to try and fix all this through the draft, do you? Un uh, no way, not going to happenm I'd be stunned. Big point you brought up with QB. We did just get rid of a lot of people, putting us in a situation where we only have one QB on the roster that has actually started an NFL regular season game.

I for one am not suprised. This is an old FA class in general. The skins need to get alot younger not older. Sign a couple OL for stop gap reasons, a DB that falls thru the cracks, then go young in the draft. OL, Rb, db/lb in the draft. It is time to rebuild and get young. Enough with signing big names.

^Na I was being sarcastic.:ols: But that seems to be the response from everyone on this site though. I just don't see how the first person we go after in FA is a 33 year old LT before maybe Dansby or Peppers knowing we are switching to a 3-4 and now both of them are probably gonna be gone now. Im just saying we could have waited till monday for a veteran tackle.

I'm a little surprised but relieved. If you stop to think about it we shouldn't be surprised because this is such a weak crop of free agents. The premiere player is a position we don't have a need at and an area we just sunk "100 million" (48) into last offseason.

I'm happy with how things are going so far, nice and quiet. I noticed even after telling myself I didn't want FA madness I was closely monitoring the Peppers situation and thinking about him as a Redskin. Old habits are hard to break sometimes.

I for one am not suprised. This is an old FA class in general. The skins need to get alot younger not older. Sign a couple OL for stop gap reasons, a DB that falls thru the cracks, then go young in the draft. OL, Rb, db/lb in the draft. It is time to rebuild and get young. Enough with signing big names.

exactly Dansby is 26 at a position that we need and would have saved us a pick on a middle linebacker. In return we could have used that pick on a gaurd late in the draft which is also a need. And DB that falls thru the crack wasn't that how we got Smoot? I wouldn't go that route that would be the same type of mistake that we made in the past that got are fellow skins fans flipping out everytime we make a FA signing

^Na I was being sarcastic.:ols: But that seems to be the response from everyone on this site though. I just don't see how the first person we go after in FA is a 33 year old LT before maybe Dansby or Peppers knowing we are switching to a 3-4 and now both of them are probably gonna be gone now. Im just saying we could have waited till monday for a veteran tackle.

I can dig it. :) I'll be honest, I'm suprised, all things considered. When I saw all the cuts, I was saying "whoow, that is totally something Marty would do". I was hoping we'd rushed to build multiple copies of Redskins One so to not wait on anyone. If I heard we had six or seven planes in the air, I'd be cool with that.

I for one am not surprised at all by the front offices lack of moves in the first 3 and half hours of free agency. It is clear that Bruce and Shanny have a plan and they are sticking to it. They have cleared a lot of cap space that would have come back to haunt us as dead cap space when the CBA comes back next year (and we all know that it will come back) and then we have to start releasing those older, high priced vets that we cut lose today with no penalty. This will ensure that the Redskins are not in "cap hell" at any point in the near future. We will have enough room to make smart decisions going after players that will truly benefit this team, release those that have worn out their stay.

I understand that there are a lot of holes to fill, and the sad truth is that they just can’t fill them all in one or even two off-seasons. It is going to several years, to rebuild this team, but so far I think that they are doing it the right way. Getting a young, cheap corp of guys that are gonna be around for on the upside of their careers for the next 5-6years as oppose to being on the down side of their career.

Good job so far guys!

Now just don't go screwing it up!!!!!

I can dig it. :) I'll be honest, I'm suprised, all things considered. When I saw all the cuts, I was saying "whoow, that is totally something Marty would do". I was hoping we'd rushed to build multiple copies of Redskins One so to not wait on anyone. If I heard we had six or seven planes in the air, I'd be cool with that.

Yeah thats what I was thinking we would take a smart aggresive approach to an uncapped year. I was dansby, a couple vet O linemen, rolle, and maybe a DB. Considering we are trying to get youger dansby and rolle are both only 26 and most of the DB that are worth looking at are under 30. Everything else could have been fixed wit the draft.:logo:

I agree with TheMan CC47 and hope that is the situation. As much as I'd love to see us in the playoffs or even in contention this upcoming season, let's keep some cap money, build from within, making sure that we keep the stars we draft and get people to fill gaps that will play solid for now. No need for the high priced free agents that get their pay day and then don't pan out for us. Keep the system together and build the team with some youth. I was a bit worried about Shannahan coming in, but so far I like what he and Bruce Allan are doing.

HELL YEAH WHAT ARE WE DOING???? We only got 5 draft picks this year. We get rid of Rock a very productive player trying to go after sproiles. Get rid of 9 other players to free up 30 mil in cap space IOT sign some free agents. We don't go aggressively after neither dansby or peppers so now there pretty much gone. At least I would think we would go after a DB or a FS there are a lot of them out there, for god sake cromartie went for a conditional 2011 pick are you serious he is a major upgrade from smoot, that we could have got for nothing. But no we go after Chad Clifton from the packers, our first choice was a tackle? I agree wit going after him because we really have no OT as of right now worth anything, but First? He was still gonna be there Monday LOL. All I keep hearing is that we can address are weaknesses in the draft. How do we expect to fill at least 4 OL slots, RB, QB, DB, LB, DT with 5 NFL picks. Shannahan is a great coach but I don't believe that he is a magician. Come on pick it up or we are gonna end up 4-12 again no matter who are coach and GM is.:mad::logo:

Patience, young grasshopper, patience. We'll still be signing people a week from now. Then there's trading down in the draft, the UDFA market (which, as easy as it sounds to dismiss, yields a couple-dozen good players for the league on an annual basis), and camp cuts. Will it be pretty? No. But, as mentioned in the OP (but strangely not emphasized), we had two offseasons like this under Gibbs and made the playoffs the following year. We had two splashy offseasons and crapped the bed the following year. I'm not suggesting an ironclad rule here, but it seems to me there really is something to be said for aiming to make the whole more than the sum of its parts. Heart, willingness to put in the extra hard work, chemistry, even a certain sense of desperation to fight for a career... these things matter, perhaps more than stats.

Yeah, yeah, that sounds overly idealistic, but I've never been able to help but notice the correlations between our recent offseason approaches and regular season results. Let's even throw in Marty's season - the same thing wound up happening, and I remember thinking, even then, that putting a premature end to what had been built in a hard-fought, no-name season that created ridiculous chemistry after the halfway point was, well, ****ing stupid. I don't think it's unrealistic to suggest that the evidence is in the favor of Allen/Shanahan's current approach. You'll wind up rooting for guys who you originally thought were horrible signings. Trust me.

No, because if we are going to turn the Redskins into a winner... it's going to take more than a year. We can't just slap a big name into place and fill every hole. This is a better way. The first step was beginning to clear the waste. We got rid of some very good guys who were past their prime and not producing enough anymore. Good first step. Now, begin to build and I'm glad we aren't going with the prefab stuff.

I wouldn't be so quick to say we aren't going after these players. I think our front office just doesn't want to set the market. Dansby plans to visit the Redskins along with many other teams. Let those other teams make offers! Players know that they shouldn't make a decision until they make their Redskins visit (assuming there is mutual interest) because the Skins have the resources to one-up any deal. I'd rather us pay slightly more than the next highest guy instead of paying 50mil more because we made a ridiculously high opening offer.

Things have changed, huh?;)

We have to be careful with our signings. Even though there isn't a salary cap this year, there will be one in the future. We don't want to get into a "rent a player" situation where you have to cut them after one year because their salary is too high.

No, because if we are going to turn the Redskins into a winner... it's going to take more than a year. We can't just slap a big name into place and fill every hole. This is a better way. The first step was beginning to clear the waste. We got rid of some very good guys who were past their prime and not producing enough anymore. Good first step. Now, begin to build and I'm glad we aren't going with the prefab stuff.

Agreed. I think that everyone needs to be patient. The Skins will fix the problems. During the draft, I think the Skins will be playing poker.

The new FO knows what they are doing.:D

I hate some of you. We have people complain the last 10 years that we spend too much on free agents who are not worth it in the end. Now that we have a FO in place that is not throwing money around like it is monopoly some members are having fits.

Bruce and Shanny have a plan in place. Just watch.

QUOTE=Hubbs;7343177]Patience, young grasshopper, patience. We'll still be signing people a week from now. Then there's trading down in the draft, the UDFA market (which, as easy as it sounds to dismiss, yields a couple-dozen good players fq the league on an annual basis), and camp cuts. Will it be pretty? No. But, as mentioned in the OP (but strangely not emphasized), we had two offseasons like this under Gibbs and made the playoffs the following year. We had two splashy offseasons and crapped the bed the following year. I'm not suggesting an ironclad rule here, but it seems to me there really is something to be said for aiming to make the whole more than the sum of its parts. Heart, willingness to put in the extra hard work, chemistry, even a certain sense of desperation to fight for a career... these things matter, perhaps more than stats.

Yeah, yeah, that sounds overly idealistic, but I've never been able to help but notice the correlations between our recent offseason approaches and regular season results. Let's even throw in Marty's season - the same thing wound up happening, and I remember thinking, even then, that putting a premature end to what had been built in a hard-fought, no-name season that created ridiculous chemistry after the halfway point was, well, ****ing stupid. I don't think it's unrealistic to suggest that the evidence is in the favor of Allen/Shanahan's current approach. You'll wind up rooting for guys who you originally thought were horrible signings. Trust me.

Your right wise old man(sarcasm) even though there is young talent in free agency that we could go after in FA dansby is only 26 and his best year are definently still in front of him. We went from overspending in FA to avoiding FA which is just as stupid. I mean we are switching to a 3-4 aren't we. So we need a ILB!!! We need a FS as well. Another void that could be solved in FA rolle is only 26 as well or I guess we all seen landry get burned so much that were just accepting it as a part of our defense. But you know what its all good because we got Allen and Shanny and they can address the need of at least 4 OLineman, FS, HB, FB, QB, ILB, nosegaurd now, not to mention a3rd down RB, all with 5 draft picks (sarcasm). Oh yeah but like all the people are saying in redskins nation we can trade down twice and aquire more picks because that is so easy to do (sarcasm). I hope you are right and we make the playoffs because I have been a skins fan for the past 15 yrs and I would love nothing more see a deep playoff run at least. I just don't expect us to be nothing more then maybe a mediocre 7-9 at best with the approach we are taking.

Archived