Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I don't want to take awat from Davi's performance, but

NoCalMike

I watched the plays where he got his big runs and it seemed obvious if our players knew how to tackle they would have been tackles for either no gain or a couple yard losses. I really hope our Run D won't be so bad that Davis is gonna turn into Emmitt Smith(later years) where he is exposed as old and used up against EVERY TEAM EXCEPT the us.

this game was set up by Fox to make Davis look good. The Redskins just released Wilkinson and are working in two new starters at DT while we had injury absences at DE as well.

it was made to order for an accent on the rushing game and that is what the Panthers did.

ask me if I would rather trade a skill lineup on offense of Peete 36, Davis 29, Muhammad 31 and Proehl 35 for what the Skins have and I would say no :)

for last night's game in isolation they got the better of the play.

On the 34 yarder Lavar and Bowen ran right by him in the backfield. Overpursuit because they are rusty.

Not to mention that blatant hands to the face I posted the picture of in the other thread with Bowen wrapped around Davis' foot.

I am not TOO concerned yet.

And in no way shape or form do I sign Wilkenson right now. He is NOT a savior and our run defense looked like it did last night in the REGULAR SEASON for most of his tenure here.

Originally posted by SkinsThug

Hells yeah it was set up for Davis. They have no other option on offense except muhammed.

If I have Davis you bet I'm giving him the damn ball.

we had davis last year and we didnt give him the damn ball.

Since the panthers offence is obviously one dimensional with davis pounding the ball, why didnt we key in on that during the game and try to stop it? Davis definetley exposed our weakness, the D line.

Davis definetley exposed our weakness, the D line.
I have to disagree with this partly.

We had players there to make the plays because the DL did their job on some of those runs by holding up blockers.

It's not the DL's fault that Arrington and Bowen over-persued and looked like fools on the football field last night.

I think we have bigger promblems with our run defense than just saying "Oh, uh, our DL sucks."

Fundementals, tackling, how to persue, the whole nine yards.

Edwards needs to get busy. REAL busy.

rat_boy....let's not wander too far afield here. this was one game and hopefully not indicative. but I know what I saw - and that was a pair of DTs that did not generate any upfield penetration. these guys might in tjhe end be servicable. and, true enough, the supporting cast wasn't in place (but doesn't that raise questions in your mind that 2 weeks into it we're already confronted with a slate of knee sprains/injuries?). all I know is that were I an offensive coordinator, I would exlpoit the living bejeepers out of this defense between the tackles using straight up power football. and then I'ld sit back, light a cigarette, and take my merry time deciding who to throw to on pass plays. It'll be up to Edwards to generate a scheme that produces sacks/QB pressure. Whether or not the physical talent is in place to stop the run - well, the jury is still out. remember....4 yards a pop keeps a drive going.

Hey guys, our d-line ate a big sh!t sandwich last night, let's not try to sugarcoat it.

Granted some of our starters weren't in there, Upshaw, Trotter, etc., but c'mon let's give some credit where it's due. The Panthers shoved the ball down our throats and exposed our line for what it is, weak.

I'm not saying BDW is the answer, but I'd feel much better with him back on our roster.

So Big Country has never broken tackles before. It's not like he ever came that > . < close to putting a 100 on one of the best, if not best defenses in the history of the league or anything. Yeeeeeeesh. He's a power runner. One of the best. What he did last night is what guys like he do. And have done. What they're paid for. As for a setup..uh......... yea. Not like Fox or whomever doesn't know that bewtween the Skins And Carolina that a good portion of the south eastern seaboard will watch. hey. He had a good, spirited game against the Skins. He had purpose. For all we know, this was by design to let Stephen feel all good about things on the new team by the new team.

:cheers:

Originally posted by NoCalMike

Bruce Smith was also not there which could have made a difference.

Bruce is quite literally nonexistent against the rush because he's going to be a situational rusher this year.

Look, our D-line last night was not a finished product. Cannida, who should help us out, wasn't even on the squad yet. Our third-string RDE was starting. And we'll probably add another DT (Big Daddy?) somewhere along the line.

The doom and gloomers need to chill out. I have no doubt that D-line will be our biggest weakness this year, but hopefully we can take steps to improve it before it kills us.

Archived