Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN: Third-and-longs early problem for Cowboys

tr1

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/02/third-and-longs-early-problem-for-cowboy.html

Gerry Fraley

The Dallas Cowoys produced only 44 points on their first possession of the halves for all 18 games last season. Brad, an astute contributor, said that could be attributed to the numerous third-and-longs the Cowboys face when opening a half with Marion Barber at running back.

Give Brad a prize.

The Cowboys had 42 third-down plays on their opening possessions of the halves last season. They needed seven-plus yards on 24 of those plays. Third-and-longs are not the recommended way to go on offense.

Barber had 51 carries for 216 yards on those possessions. That included three carries for 58 yards in the final regular-season game, a win against Philadelphia that ranked among the Cowboys' better efforts of the year. Take away that game, and Barber was a pedestrian 48 carries for 158 yards on the opening possession of a half. That is how an offense finds itself in regular third-and-long situations.

Ah, to relive those days of Cowboys fans (and some misguided Skins fans) clamoring on and on about how much of a "beast" Marion "The Barbarian" Barber was, how it was foolish to ridicule the fact that he never broke 1,000 yards in a season, how it was foolish to point out how Barber always seemed to do mediocre against NFC East teams, etc, etc...I miss those days. :D

Even if he hadn't fallen off, doesn't he have a fairly large contract for a closer-type back?

He signed a 7 year - 45 Million deal. 16 million of it was in bonuses and he earned 21 million of it the first two and including this year. That is a big chunk of the $$$ down. He will be playing on the back end of the contract now and I don't see him going anywhere especially if he is playing for less $$$ then he was in the first two years of the contract (7 mill a year).

He also should be going back into the role he had when Julius Jones was here.

However, he just doesn't punish defenders like he used to. Everytime he used to turn the corner and he would be one on one he would make the guy miss. Now it seems he goes down by his shoe strings every time he breaks outside.

I think Barber was to hurt than he wanted to admit.

Now the punishing the defender act I will defend, how do you punish a defender anymore when new rules are enacted as quick as the play, TO not hurt anyone? I personally feel he was giving the speech, Barber, we cant get fined, nor allow you to get fined for hurting someone in an "supposed" contact game.

So if it was injury he'll have a better season this year, or if he doesnt, we can pick up one in the draft, its getting harder to keep RB's anyway now a days.

Better problem we have than the most other teams. I remember not to long ago i was told "the skins gave up a shut down CB for Portis and got the better end of the deal" I see how thats worked out.

The problem with RB's now a days, is that we are shortening their careers by light years and the records are going to be hard to break than ever before if this rate keeps up.

NOt to long ago I was also told LT was going to break all of Emmitts records. Now LT is hoping to find a home before breaking records.

Just goes to show how fast trends change not only in life, but in all other factors.

Archived