Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MO:Collapse of the euro is 'inevitable': Bailing out the Greek economy futile, says FRENCH banking chief

JMS

Well that's already happenned... T-Bills for a while during the collapse actually were running bellow zero percent interest when you included all the serviec fees.

2 year T-bills are currently running at about 1% interest... 90 day T bills at .16%.

And that's with the Euro in tact.

It was that last step that made it my "nightmare scenario".

Actually, the real problem is that the standard approach in a case like this is to devalue one's currency, and Greece can't do it like the UK is currently doing.

Apparently a lot of economists were sounding this alarm before the Euro was formed, and I'm personally guessing that countries might start pulling out, as annoying as that would be for me as a traveller.

I can deal with the exchange hassles as a traveller if I can get some good rates in certain countries.

It's not a "joke". But the Euro has huge problems... It's hard to have a unified currency when you have 27 sovergn states who all have independant monitary policies.

They had to sign an agreement to keep their debt/gdp ratio down when they signed up, and everybody just ignored it...

you guys could use an Alexander Hamilton over there.

That was always the discussion ... how a level of economic integration could work without too much central control. That said, the past decade has seen a growth in the Eurozone economically so there have been many benefits.

The absence of a shared currency is a very serious impedement as a business trying to operate across borders.

I can deal with the exchange hassles as a traveller if I can get some good rates in certain countries.

I hear there's this place on the internet, where you can hire somebody to carry your bags.

Can you believe that some European countries have a bigger deficite to gdp ratio than we do? Holly Cow what were they thinking?

Spain and the UK are both top 4 economomies in Europe...

I can. There are different schools of thought on carrying debt but I, for one, am not in favor of it. The UK, up until very recently, was in the midst of the worst recession that country had experienced since WWII. It is one of the most diversified economies of all the major economies in the world. Globalization is a big reason for this but regardless, it won't save them if the Euro goes belly up. They will fill the pinch.

Spain's economy is done. Unemployment near 20% and the worst recession in 50 years, this could screw them beyond recovery.

That was always the discussion ... how a level of economic integration could work without too much central control. That said, the past decade has seen a growth in the Eurozone economically so there have been many benefits.

The absence of a shared currency is a very serious impedement as a business trying to operate across borders.

The instability is really just kicking in now.... It's the instability which is going to rattle you guys, and us to our bones.... Well see if you still think it's shown economic benifits after the coming hard times.... When German and French banks will be bailing out Greek, Spanish, and UK institutions with no real ability to mandate sound fiscal policy.

Hell the Greeks are already rioting in the streets over just the rumors of cutbacks.

What's going to be very very interesting is what happens next. The way the EU papers are drawn up it's almost impossible to get out. Which means addoption of a stronger central authority might be the only option moving forward. Which is going to be a very interesting debate and fun to watch.

They will eventually get it worked out.... .To many smart people in Europe not too. But it's the old chinese curse... "May you live in interesting times".

The instability is really just kicking in now.... It's the instability which is going to rattle you guys, and us to our bones.... Well see if you still think it's shown economic benifits after the coming hard times.... When German and French banks will be bailing out Greek, Spanish, and UK institutions with no real ability to mandate sound fiscal policy.

Hell the Greeks are already rioting in the streets over just the rumors of cutbacks.

What's going to be very very interesting is what happens next. The way the EU papers are drawn up it's almost impossible to get out. Which means addoption of a stronger central authority might be the only option moving forward. Which is going to be a very interesting debate and fun to watch.

They will eventually get it worked out.... .To many smart people in Europe not too. But it's the old chinese curse... "May you live in interesting times".

Interestingly enough, the strongest economy in that part of the world may end up being one that is not European. It might end up being Russia's. After suffering economic contraction in 2008-09, Russia is set up to take advantage of Europes downfall here. As one of the leading exporters of Natural Gas and oil, two things that will be in demand in the coming days, as well as an emerging wheat exporter, Russia is also a large exporter of Steel and aluminum. There have real needs for technology and Europe could provide that. Russia has capitol to spend and I would not be surprised to see Russia and many of the European nations form much closer relationships in the future. I can't see how that would be very good for us.

Archived