Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Foreign Language Translation Help Needed

Special K

Totally random question, but who better to ask than the brilliant minds of ES... :D

I was given a bunch of policy documents to go through this week, but they're all in French. I don't do French outside survival basics. Anyone know of any good language translation websites?

Thanks

Isn't Babelfish a good one? I've heard of it somewhere.

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

thats what i use when i need to translate oilfield reports that is in Spanish at work...

it completely horrible for at least technical writing... but I can make out enough of key words to get the correct values out of the report most of the time... otherwise i go to my spanish speaking coworkers in the other department for help...

for policy paper? probably means that you need to REALLY understand every meaning of what written... not sure if anything out there will be good enough. Be really careful when you use a software...

Wow, fast response! There really is no end to the usefulness of ES, whether is translation needs or comic relief :D

Thanks for the input guys. I seriously appreciate it. I have a week and a half to work on them, so I'm going to give it a try with babelfish and see what I come up with. If stuff is too literal and doesn't make sense, I'll be back...

I knew this one was a smart one.

I can speak french and understand it...but I don't know that I could explain it to you easily.

Yeah, that's how I am with spanish. I took 6 years of that b/c I FIGURED I'd need that more than French, and now here I sit, screwed and tattooed in BFM.

I took French for 12 years. If you want I can translate them for you.

Daveakl, you are so awesome. I really appreciate it! I might take you up on that offer if I get really deep and am not understanding something. :)

Thanks for the input guys. I seriously appreciate it. I have a week and a half to work on them, so I'm going to give it a try with babelfish and see what I come up with. If stuff is too literal and doesn't make sense, I'll be back...

BE REALLY CAREFUL with babelfish... if i were you I would take that dude's offer.. its better to give him time now than to ask for help when you are racing against the clock IMHO.

BE REALLY CAREFUL with babelfish... if i were you I would take that dude's offer.. its better to give him time now than to ask for help when you are racing against the clock IMHO.
Good advice, I think that's what I'm going to do, especially after looking at babelfish. Thanks.

now I feel bad :(

It's okay, you'll have a long time in hell to sit and think about what you did. lol. j/k

I'll just go back to babelfish and work on things. It doesn't have to be perfect translation, and my supervisor does speak some English, so it'll get figured out. Thanks for the links guys.

And Dave, thanks for nothing :pfft:

Yeah, that's how I am with spanish. I took 6 years of that b/c I FIGURED I'd need that more than French, and now here I sit, screwed and tattooed in BFM.

I took three years of French because the Spanish class was filled up with people like yourself who wanted to learn Espanol for its utility. Well, that and the French teacher was hot. I mean really, really, hot! ;)

Hey there, just in case anyone is ever interested, Google Translation rocks.

http://translate.google.com

I liked it better than babelfish as far as content was concerned. I don't know why I didn't think of Google in the first place. :doh1:

Anyway, you can upload documents, XLS files, everything!

Just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone else on here is too stupid to think of google when needing to translate something :D

P.S. Thanks again to all the help and the offers. Special shout out to RememberOsaka for going above and beyond to try to help me. I really appreciate it. :)

Archived