Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rugby: Six Nations Week 1

thehogs

I know there are some rugby followers and indeed players on here so here is a reminder that the Six Nations starts this weekend :)

I'm not sure if ESPN has it but there is a BBC Cable channel, "BBC America" that will be showing some (not all) of the games for State-side fans:

BBC America Link

as ever, keep an eye on the usual suspects for game feeds:

Myp2p

ATDHE

This week:

Saturday:

Ireland - Italy, Dublin KO 9.30 am (ET)

England - Wales, London KO 12.00 Noon (ET)

Sunday

Scotland - France, Edinburgh KO 10 am (ET)

:)

Setanta is exiting the US market in March. Fox Soccer Channel is picking up a number of their contracts including rugby content. It would be nice to be able to watch international rugby here without Setanta.

I played for Cork Constitution in my youth and used to go to Landsowne Road to watch what was then the Five Nations. :)

I was also fortunate to be in Thomond Park, Limerick when Munster beat the touring All Blacks in 1978. :D

My dad is from new zealand. He lives and dies for rugby. Before satellite television he had to make due with american football, which he does like a lot now. BUT as soon as he was able to get setanta sports the exponential decline in his football watching is astounding.

Also, The Haka is the greatest pre game warm up ever. I know if i was a player it would get me so amped.

And if I was a player on the other side, I would simply leave.

There was always debate on the right response. Ignoring might be considered disrespect in what is after all just a game. I always favored meeting the challenge by walking towards it making eye contact until your nose was half an inch from your opponent. :)

EDIT: we liked to refer to it as "your pre-game cabaret show" to wind up any Kiwis.

There was always debate on the right response. Ignoring might be considered disrespect in what is after all just a game. I always favored meeting the challenge by walking towards it making eye contact until your nose was half an inch from your opponent. :)

EDIT: we liked to refer to it as "your pre-game cabaret show" to wind up any Kiwis.

Nice. :ols:

I fully admit that I don't have the physical (or mental) toughness for that sport. And I have a ridiculous amount of respect for those that do. (Even you.) :ols: But yeah, if you were playing them, the silent stare would probably be the best option. Psyche job right back at 'em.

lol, thats funny. I actually saw the aussies do just that at the last tri-nations i think. The kiwis were doing the haka and then the camera panned out and the aussies had walked right up into their faces. It was ****ing awesome.

Rugby is a great sport but it took me awhile to understand or see any strategy in it. Im too trained to see formations and stuff, i couldn't find the strategy.

lol, thats funny. I actually saw the aussies do just that at the last tri-nations i think. The kiwis were doing the haka and then the camera panned out and the aussies had walked right up into their faces. It was ****ing awesome.

This one is from the Rugby League. It's interesting to see the Kiwis doing a more individual improvised version rather than the choreographed style of the rugby union team.

Rugby is a great sport but it took me awhile to understand or see any strategy in it. Im too trained to see formations and stuff, i couldn't find the strategy.

Arguably, rugby is highly tactical. You have to probe for weaknesses in the opponent's approach and exploit it 'on the fly' without any coaches calling individual plays, timeouts etc. That's why the greatest part of rugby is the flowing, improvised movements where you continually push and press the defenses looking for weakness and when you find it, or they over commit in one place, you have to have the vision and ability to exploit it.

Something like

. Simply ****ing brilliant :D

EDIT: here's a

with better quality and more footage from the game, and probably the worst attempt at the haka I've ever seen. :)

Something like

Simply ****ing brilliant :D

I can remember watching that on my TV as it happened! awesome try. Even the commetary by the Welshman Cliff Morgan seems to have been scripted perfectly for it. :) J J Williams is hit twice with blatant head high tackles during the move and the ref just waves play on! LOL! Ah! the good old days!

interesting that you use the word 'choreographed' regarding the haka. I get bored with it these days, especially when I realised that it is indeed VERY choreographed with a lot of the 'scary' moves invented. No wonder opposing teams face it down these days.

I think if you have watched the All Blacks play for more than 5 years that the Haka could get old. Its being going on for so long that maybe they should save it for the biggest of games.

It's one thing if it's being performed by someone with strong Maori heritage who looks like a warrior. But when it's done by a skinny blonde haired dude who looks like an accounting clerk it doesn't have the same impact. :)

ugh totally forgot about the 6 nations tourney..

As for the All-Blacks, and the Haka..walking away..BIG mistake. That just pisses them off.

Also, I had a Kiwi on my rugby team, and i do believe each New Zealand club has their own. Its a tribal thing.

ugh totally forgot about the 6 nations tourney..

As for the All-Blacks, and the Haka..walking away..BIG mistake. That just pisses them off.

Also, I had a Kiwi on my rugby team, and i do believe each New Zealand club has their own. Its a tribal thing.

Has their own Kiwi or Haka? :-p

Archived