Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could they just let Peppers go!? 2011 Free Agency...

Looking For Number Four

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4874872&name=schefter_adam&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines&addata=2009_isndr_ban_wrt_sch_fter

This year, unlike other years, the Panthers and Peppers have not engaged in any talks about a long-term contract extension, according to league sources. Carolina is not expected to slap its franchise tag on him, not with the cost of it being over $20 million.

"That's definitely true," said one NFL source with knowledge of the Panthers' thinking. "Their owner [Jerry Richardson] has told people they're not planning to keep him."

The Panthers have from Feb. 11 through Feb. 25 to designate Peppers as their franchise player; if it is not done by then, it cannot be done at all. But NFL sources believe the free-agent pool is about to be enriched with the presence of Peppers, a member of the NFL's All-Decade Team for the 2000s who had 10.5 sacks last season

I suppose it would be somewhat of a gamble, but why would they not franchise and then trade him? Certainly must be some reasons, it does not seems like they are going to. I do not want him, we do not need him, but the whole situation is interesting to me.

Next year's free agency is going to be FREAKING crazy. All of these should be free agents that get tendered a contract become free agents next year on top of those who do not become contract free until next season. Of major importance to us would probably be Mr. Revis:

After performing like the top defensive player in football this season, the Jets' Darrelle Revis could get paid like it. With Revis' contract having voided, and with the deal now scheduled to expire after the 2010 season, the Jets are expected to approach their Pro Bowl cornerback this offseason to try to get a multiyear extension done that will be one of the richest contracts in NFL history. After next season, the Jets also will have the option of buying back the fifth and sixth years on Revis' contract for $20 million, but New York is not expected to allow it to get to that point. More likely, the Jets will try to tie up the cornerback that continually tied up some of the game's top wide receivers. Revis' agent, Jonathan Feinsod, declined comment.

Other notables that are coming early March, 2010:

Chester Taylor

According to Mike Wobschall of Vikings.com, the team "will do everything they can" for him to return in 2010, and that could include the franchise or transition tag. The relevant values for a franchise or transition RB for 2010 will be $8.156 million and $7.151 million, respectively.

Antonio Bryant

Ira Kaufman of the Tampa Tribune has word that the team is unlikely to bring him back unless he takes a substantial pay cut from the $9.88 million he made in 2009 as the team's franchise player, and Stephen Holder of the St. Petersburg Times has word that the two sides have yet to engage in any sort of talks. The Redskins have been bandied about as a possible destination, but Steve Reed of the Gaston Gazette thinks that the Panthers should get involved, too. The Panthers have struggled to find a suitable running mate for Steve Smith, and Bryant did have his biggest game of the season at Bank of America Stadium in Week 13 (five catches for 116 yards).

Elvis Dumervil

Denver Broncos LB Elvis Dumervil was a revelation in 2009, laying waste to opposing QBs like his financial future depended on it. Mainly because it kinda did: he's expected to hit restricted free agency this offseason, and would be an unrestricted free agent if there is a new CBA in place by March 5.

Antrelle Rolle

Antrel Rolle emerged as the surefire starter at safety for the Arizona Cardinals, and they'd like to hang onto him given the alternatives on the roster. But there's a problem: Rolle is poised to get a $4 million roster bonus, and an $8.1 million salary for the season on top of that, according to Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic. Shockingly, Somers reports that the Cards are not willing to pay that much for Rolle.

There are two likely scenarios: one, Rolle and the Cards will come to a long-term agreement. Two, the Cards release Rolle before his roster bonus is due and hope for the best in free agency and the draft, because none of the other in-house options are suitable heirs to the position.

Steve Smith (Giants)

No. 12 is signed through 2010, and he'll earn a wage of $550,000 next season. There has been no public announcement of what kind of annual payday he's after, but we're pretty sure he'll want more than that.

Nick Mangold

After the New York Jets decided to let Kevin Mawae take a hike -- and be subsequently scooped up by the Tennessee Titans, for whom he's put in additional Pro Bowl seasons -- they handed the hiking duties over the Nick Mangold. Mangold has matured quickly, and with one season left on his rookie deal, the Pro Bowler is ready for an extension, according to Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News.

Vince Wilfork

A week ago, ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss wrote that the way it's shaping up, Vince Wilfork is "likely to be assigned the franchise tag" if a deal can't be consummated with the Patriots. Appearing on Boston radio station WEEI, Wilfork told the hosts that being tagged would be akin to "a slap in the face." He then added, "I want a long-term deal or I want to be free. Point blank.In the unlikely event that Wilfork is not tagged or re-signed, he will be one of the top free agents on the market this offseason, especially given the prevalence of the 3-4 defense, and the need for a nose tackle in that scheme. We previously speculated that the Broncos, Dolphins and Bills (who may be switching to a 3-4) might take a look, and it's also possible that the Chiefs -- a.k.a. Pats West -- will be interested.

Chad Clifton

From an injury standpoint, we've finally got some word on Green Bay Packers left tackle Chad Clifton. Beat writer Greg A. Bedard tweeted on Thursday that "Clifton won't need any off-season tune-up surgeries this time around." So that's good.Bedard asked whether Clifton and RT Mark Tauscher would be brought back, and Thompson responded, "Yeah, if it works out for everybody, sure." Doesn't sound very enthusiastic, does he?The Packers have T.J. Lang on the roster, and there's a good chance they'll use a draft pick or two on the offensive line this April.

Kyle Vanden Bosch

Tennessee Titans defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch believes he will hit the free agent market after completing his fourth season in Tennessee earlier this month, according to the Nashville Tennessean.

Casey Hampton

Hampton told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that "it will be a problem" if the Steeler do so, and added "you say we're family, and you'll take care of me. All I've done for this organization, and I feel like that's a slap in my face if you franchise me. I want to be treated fair, and I think franchising me is not fair."

Hampton appears to want to remain in Pittsburgh but clearly wants a long-term contract instead of the one-year deal a franchise tag can become if the two sides do not reach an agreement.

Aaron Kampman

Veteran DE/OLB Aaron Kampman is still in recovery from the knee injury that ended his 2009 season, but that hasn't stopped the speculation on whether or not he'll be back with the Green Bay Packers for 2010 and beyond. The Green Bay Press-Gazette reported earlier this month that neither side has yet committed to his return.

Kampman struggled at first in his move from DE to OLB in the 3-4 scheme, but seemed to be "getting it" just before his injury. "I didn't get a chance to get a full year to critique [playing in a 3-4] and say, 'Hey this is great,'" Kampman told the paper. "But I was starting to get more comfortable in it. Having said that, I have a lot of experience in the 4-3, so I think I can do both."

Shawn Merriman

On Thursday, Merriman posted on Twitter: "The question 4 the next 24hrs.what team can use me the best?" One response came from another NFL superstar, Larry Fitzgerald, who tweeted, "We got a nice 3-4 defensive scheme waitin 4u!Join us

Thomas Jones

Jones was displeased with his wages heading into the 2009 season, and the team might expect him to take even less to return. Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum addressed the Jones issue during his season-ending presser, and said, "We hope to have him back," but acknowledged financial problems, per a tweet from Manish Mehta. On Friday, Cimini wrote, "I'd say it's 50-50 that Jones returns."

'08: 1500 total yards, 15 TDs '09: 1450 total yards, 14 TDs

Karlos Dansby

Primary among the Arizona Cardinals' concerns on defense this offseason is linebacker Karlos Dansby, who will be an unrestricted free agent following his one-year tender with the franchise tag in 2009. Speaking to the press after the Cardinals wrapped up their season on Saturday with a loss, Dansby again displayed his knowledge on the NFL as a business. "We'd like to have everybody back and come back strong, try to make another run at it. But unfortunately, it might not pan out like that."

All of these are now RFA instead of UFA, could not be tendered or UFA next season if no long term deal is reached:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81561ba1&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I think there could certainly some non-tendered gold in there... Joe Staley, Walter Jones, Stacey Andrews, and Jason Peters are hitting the peacks of the contracts and may not be worth it anymore, sometimes paying the bonus and parting ways just makes more sense. Typically, these guys sign for much less and more reasonable contracts elsewhere, ala Jansen, Dockery, Bradon Lloyd (not always reasonable :D),and Dangelo Hall.

Following up on the previous statement, another HUGE impact on this year's free agency is dumping HUGE salary without facing the Cap Crunch, here are all the salaries:

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/default.aspx

Anyone with a Clinton Portis like salary could be on the fence...

Walter Camp's breakdown, will not be totally done for a couple days:

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents.php

Scout.com 2010 with star ratings:

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=83&yr=2010

I suppose we should also address if there is going to be a free agency in this thread, as well, otherwise all this hypthesizing would be for nil. Here is Schefter explanation of not having a CBA and why a lockout is not necessarily unlikely for 2011:

Some of your points are valid, Matt, and it's a complex issue. But it boils down to (what else?) money. Right now, players make 60 percent of the revenues that the game generates. The owners believe it is way too much and are asking players to take closer to 42 percent. Owners believe they are paying to build these new stadiums, they're carrying debt and they're not making enough money. Players believe they should not have to give back anything for putting their bodies on the line. Both sides have valid points. There obviously are other issues, but it comes down to money, Matt, and who gets to keep how much of it.

also, just because there are negative connotations with our history of cleaning up and overpaying in free agency doesn't mean you should avoid signing anyone at all. free agency is a GOOD thing that is sometimes over-depended upon.

Could not agree more, there are some serious holes in this line that are going to have to be addressed beyond the draft. Odds are something somewhere pops up and provide some resolution.

Without Samuels or Thomas we end up with a decent amount of salary freedom, not only this year but the years beyond as well. I think Thomas comes back and at least helps bridge the gap. But Samuels I am not high on his chances, at which point financial freedom and dire need point toward using a Clifton, Jones, Staley, or otherwise to get some breathing room correlate.

Personally, as crazy as it sounds, my priority number one would be Antrelle Rolle. He is not going to be back in ARZ and we DESPERATELY need a real deal FS. We cannot afford to develop one, we don't have one, and we need out top draft picks to go elsewhere. Landry simply is not a FS, although he played both SS and FS extremely well in college. Reed Doughty is as good if not better a SS, but cannot play pass coverage. I would have no problem trading Landry, inking Rolle, and plugging in Doughty. This would end up with the same amount of money spent on the saftey position and snag a draft pick or two, possibly a good one.

I said significant.

And I'm thinking mostly on D while we introduce our 3-4. Shanahan will get his offense together through this draft and a couple FA's, but Haslett will look to FA veterans to come in to help our defense.

Out side of maybe a some pass coverage help (Bodden, Rolle, maybe Sheperd) and a behemoth to stick in the middle of the line if we swtich to 3-4 I don't know we need all that much. If we don't switch, maybe a LB would help (Brackett?), so that Orakpo go move to DE full-time. If we do switch, the foursome of Carter, Orakpo, Fletch, and Rocky seem great. The NT position can be a GREAT asset but is not terribly hard to fill, IMO. Find a massive body, FA or draft and stick him in there. Though I would like and think the team would benefit the signing of a Wilfork or Hampton (neither is going anywhere without a 1st rd pick), I think we can do just fine without them. Monty is a monster and I think he could probably handle the job.

What would be your top 5, this year and/or next, defense free agents for us?

also, just because there are negative connotations with our history of cleaning up and overpaying in free agency doesn't mean you should avoid signing anyone at all. free agency is a GOOD thing that is sometimes over-depended upon.

Especially this offseason, the team will need a new oline and they will need players to switch to a 3-4. Even though people will say nothing has changed because the front office will probably be aggressive with free agents, its a must with so many holes to fill.

Personally, as crazy as it sounds, my priority number one would be Antrelle Rolle.

Any chance Rolle could go back to play CB again or is that experiment over? I think Landry did well enough in '08 when playing at FS, and could possibly find himself more comfortable there over time. I think CB is a more pressing concern; especially if Rogers ends up leaving.

Out side of maybe a some pass coverage help (Bodden, Rolle, maybe Sheperd) and a behemoth to stick in the middle of the line if we swtich to 3-4 I don't know we need all that much. If we don't switch, maybe a LB would help (Brackett?), so that Orakpo go move to DE full-time. If we do switch, the foursome of Carter, Orakpo, Fletch, and Rocky seem great. The NT position can be a GREAT asset but is not terribly hard to fill, IMO. Find a massive body, FA or draft and stick him in there. Though I would like and think the team would benefit the signing of a Wilfork or Hampton (neither is going anywhere without a 1st rd pick), I think we can do just fine without them. Monty is a monster and I think he could probably handle the job.

What would be your top 5, this year and/or next, defense free agents for us?

I don't think we're as "ok" switching to 3-4 as you think. I really don't think Andre Carter has any use being stood up. We all saw Orakpo struggle in pass coverage early in the season, and Andre is even more stiff than he is. San Fran ran the 3-4 and he really struggled with it there.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dansby being picked up in FA, and having him and Fletch inside, and move Rocky outside and see what he can do there. I think him and Rak on the outside can have a lot of success.

I also don't see Monty being here much longer. Sure he's big, but he's had issues with work ethic, and loses playing time to Kedric Golston. I do think Lorenzo alexander can be good as a starting DE in the 3-4, he's big, very strong, and has a great motor. He might not get a lot of sacks, but hes very team oriented and will do what the coaches ask of him.

Any chance Rolle could go back to play CB again or is that experiment over? I think Landry did well enough in '08 when playing at FS, and could possibly find himself more comfortable there over time. I think CB is a more pressing concern; especially if Rogers ends up leaving.

Personally, I do not think Rogers is going anywhere and most of that is coming from the fans. Statistically he was slightly above average last year and far better than Hall. His contract is also reasonable, despite being a top 5 pick.

Last year Landry was able to defend 11 passes but was only able to snag 2 INTs. Rolle has had 12 INTs and 4 TDs in the past three seasons. Perhaps Landry develops softer hands (he certainly had them at LSU, loads of picks) but with the Brandon Marshall debacle I think his coverage abilities are being put under the microscope in the film room at Fed Ex right now.

I doubt Rolle goes back to corner since he stuggled so bad and has developed into an above average FS.

I think Barnes (3rd rounder last year) is going to shore up the CB position for us. Guy is an aboslute STUD and former Terapin. Here is the scouting report:

http://www.thephinsider.com/2009/4/16/838968/scouting-the-draft-kevin-barnes

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1616

I think Barnes (3rd rounder last year) is going to shore up the CB position for us. Guy is an aboslute STUD and former Terapin. Here is the scouting report:

http://www.thephinsider.com/2009/4/16/838968/scouting-the-draft-kevin-barnes

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1616

Oh, I remember Barnes very well. I was at that Cal game where he completely laid out Jahvid Best and made him throw up. He's more physical than anything and I think that will help him going forward now that we will (hopefully) be shying away from those huge Blache cushions.

In regards to Landry, he also had two picks in the Seattle playoff game in '07 so he definitely has the hands. Awareness is his main issue and that goes for interceptions as well as pass coverage. That can be coached.

I don't think we're as "ok" switching to 3-4 as you think. I really don't think Andre Carter has any use being stood up. We all saw Orakpo struggle in pass coverage early in the season, and Andre is even more stiff than he is. San Fran ran the 3-4 and he really struggled with it there.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dansby being picked up in FA, and having him and Fletch inside, and move Rocky outside and see what he can do there. I think him and Rak on the outside can have a lot of success.

I also don't see Monty being here much longer. Sure he's big, but he's had issues with work ethic, and loses playing time to Kedric Golston. I do think Lorenzo alexander can be good as a starting DE in the 3-4, he's big, very strong, and has a great motor. He might not get a lot of sacks, but hes very team oriented and will do what the coaches ask of him.

Pass rushing OLB do not always stay stood up, look at the Jets this season, they had guys up and down and moving all over the place. Rocky would really excel in the middle with Fletch, they are both tackling machines and average/above average in pass coverage. Orakpo is going to have at least 15 sacks, but I suppose could be switched out on passing down, I would just blitz him. Dansby would be great but that would be a ton of money spent on defense and not so much on the other side, which would hurt if/when there is a cap next season. Brackett might make more sense if for some reason IND does not get the deal done, IMO. We also have some midpround projects and Blades that could step up.

I could not agree with more about Alexander, that guy is a force. As far as Monty's work ethic, I think everyone's work ethic was questionable with Zorn all but mute. Monty is 6-6, 330, and only 25. He certainly could improve, being so young, and his size is perfect for NT. At least a backup plan for Haynesworth, who is 350 and meant to be a NT in a 3-4, IMO.

Oh, I remember Barnes very well. I was at that Cal game where he completely laid out Jahvid Best and made him throw up. He's more physical than anything and I think that will help him going forward now that we will (hopefully) be shying away from those huge Blache cushions.

In regards to Landry, he also had two picks in the Seattle playoff game in '07 so he definitely has the hands. Awareness is his main issue and that goes for interceptions as well as pass coverage. That can be coached.

Right on, I hope you right, certainly makes me feel a little more confident. Statistically, his pass coverage is horrendous.

Barnes is a monster slugger and a former track star, I will take that as CB#2 all day.

Well, Smith, Mangold and Rolle are not FAs for another year. You started off as if you were listing players who would be free this March, and that applies to none of those 3, although there is specualtion there that Arizona might not give Rolle his 4 mil bonus.

Dumervil and Merriman will be restricted without a new CBA. Wilfork being tagged is almost a 100% certainty.

if we switch wilfork would be the best option for NT Big Al at DE and Jarmon at other DE then if we could get dansby it would be rocky, dansby, fletch, and orakpo, with no cap we could cut carter, yes he had a career year but he isn't getting any younger and we cant trade him apparently because he has a no trade clause, maybe if we could get him to approve the trade who knows.

If there is no cap, then why not load up on FA defenders and draft all offense? How about:

LDE:Jarmon

NT:Wilfork

RDE:Haynesworth

ILB:McIntosh, Dansby, Fletcher

OLB:Orakpo, Peppers, Wilson

FS:Rolle, Moore

SS:Landry, Doughty

CB:Hall, Rogers, Barnes, Tryon

The front seven would be beast, a perfect combination of youth, experience and flexibility. Peppers could line up at DE or OLB. Haynesworth could line up at NT or DE. Dansby could line up at ILB or OLB. We could still use a shutdown corner, but they don't grow on trees.

If you then add Bradford(1), an OL(2), and Legarrette Bount (4) in the draft, and maybe try to move Cooley for Brandon Marshall, the entire team is massively upgraded. I'd say one year of QB development and a good OL draft away from dangerous playoff contender.

the uncapped year allows the Redskins to provide addition by SUBTRACTION.

Let Peppers go to the Raiders on a $60M deal.

Shanahan isn't going to sign 30-35 year old players on a team that finished 4-12.

The Redskins are far enough away where that thought is years in the future.

I agree with needing free agents to help us, I think the problem everyone has had in the past has been that:

1. Danny & Vinny were making decisions

2. players were signed for "star" power rather than for football reasons

3. too many of the free agents were overpriced and/or washed up and/or overrated and/or had no work ethic

4. there was a salary cap in place which meant that a high-priced FA bust would handcuff us from making other moves

With Vinny gone, Danny apparently staying out of the way, and no salary cap in place next year and perhaps 2011 as well, most of the above issues shouldn't be a factor anymore. That said, Shanny still needs to make good free agent decisions since with only five draft picks, free agents will have to be filled in in several areas next season, and I suspect especially on the OL.

As I said in another Peppers thread, I wouldn't have a huge problem with him coming here but he is 30 and appears to be slowing down. If he's brought here to fill a role and his strengths fit that role, then fine.

if we switch wilfork would be the best option for NT Big Al at DE and Jarmon at other DE then if we could get dansby it would be rocky, dansby, fletch, and orakpo, with no cap we could cut carter, yes he had a career year but he isn't getting any younger and we cant trade him apparently because he has a no trade clause, maybe if we could get him to approve the trade who knows.

Deigo Sanchez should have quit as soon as he saw Penn doing that :D

Carter would approve a trade to a contender, so I would not rule that out. His contract versus his performance is pretty sweet though.

Jarmon, Carter, Chris Wilson, and almost every DE we have could not play DE in a 3-4. They would need to at least be 280-290, look at the Jets depth chart. Wilfork will most likely be franchised, but could be traded for, unfortunately we probably don't have much good trade routes.

Dansby could certainly be an option, is going to be interesting.

I agree with needing free agents to help us, I think the problem everyone has had in the past has been that:

1. Danny & Vinny were making decisions

2. players were signed for "star" power rather than for football reasons

3. too many of the free agents were overpriced and/or washed up and/or overrated and/or had no work ethic

4. there was a salary cap in place which meant that a high-priced FA bust would handcuff us from making other moves

With Vinny gone, Danny apparently staying out of the way, and no salary cap in place next year and perhaps 2011 as well, most of the above issues shouldn't be a factor anymore. That said, Shanny still needs to make good free agent decisions since with only five draft picks, free agents will have to be filled in in several areas next season, and I suspect especially on the OL.

As I said in another Peppers thread, I wouldn't have a huge problem with him coming here but he is 30 and appears to be slowing down. If he's brought here to fill a role and his strengths fit that role, then fine.

If Peppers ends up with the 13M/season that his is likely to snag, who becomes your second target?

Anyone thinking of anyone outside of Wilfork, Dansby, and/or Peppers?

If there is no cap, then why not load up on FA defenders and draft all offense? How about:

LDE:Jarmon

NT:Wilfork

RDE:Haynesworth

ILB:McIntosh, Dansby, Fletcher

OLB:Orakpo, Peppers, Wilson

FS:Rolle, Moore

SS:Landry, Doughty

CB:Hall, Rogers, Barnes, Tryon

The front seven would be beast, a perfect combination of youth, experience and flexibility. Peppers could line up at DE or OLB. Haynesworth could line up at NT or DE. Dansby could line up at ILB or OLB. We could still use a shutdown corner, but they don't grow on trees.

If you then add Bradford(1), an OL(2), and Legarrette Bount (4) in the draft, and maybe try to move Cooley for Brandon Marshall, the entire team is massively upgraded. I'd say one year of QB development and a good OL draft away from dangerous playoff contender.

Blount is a punk, I'm ALL OUT. Would love McKnight with that pick, he provides a speedster, game breaking, pass catching, punt/kick returning RB that we do not have. If not, I am going Gerhart to be the next Riggins/3rd in goal on the 2.

Your forgot Smoot, pretty remarkable considering his name is screamed at least one per home game :D

Cooley for Marshall would be intersting, that could consider that with a 4th rounder thrown in there. Perhaps? 2nd rounder? Would you do that? I would seriously consider it, the guy is an absolute machine with the single game reception record (not Rice, and Orton was throwing to him). Not going to happen, but 1st time I have herd it mentioned to a small rant has to be justified so long as it ends now.

Archived