Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun: 2 bills would legalize medical marijuana in MD

MattFancy

http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/bal-md.hs.marijuana27jan27,0,806070.story

Hoping to make Maryland the 15th state in the nation to legalize medical marijuana, legislators introduced a pair of bills Tuesday in the General Assembly that would let doctors approve access to marijuana for their patients and sanction dispensaries, and even pharmacies, to distribute the drug.

The legislation would allow the use of marijuana by patients who have a "debilitating medical condition," such as seizures, severe chronic pain or severe nausea as a result of cancer treatment. They would have to register with the state and obtain marijuana from state-licensed dispensaries and pharmacies that might be interested in supplying it.

"The overarching goal is to make medical marijuana available, as would be any other serious drug to help patients, with the same protections and judicious use," said Del. Dan Morhaim, a Democrat from Baltimore County and an internist and emergency medical physician, who sponsored the legislation in the House of Delegates. Sen. David Brinkley, a Republican from Frederick, is the bill's sponsor in the Senate.

Patients would need approval from doctors with whom they have a long-standing relationship and would not be permitted to grow marijuana on their own.

And so it begins...

Legalizing Marijuana, as a WHOLE, would help pull the economy out of the gutter.

We should be seeing the widespread legalization in the next 20 years.

I agree. I think this is the first step to something bigger. I've never smoked it and probably will never smoke it. But honestly, its not any worse than alcohol.

And so it begins...

Legalizing Marijuana, as a WHOLE, would help pull the economy out of the gutter.

I support the first part, just because I don't believe the gov't should prohibit you from smoking MJ if you choose to do so as an adult, but on second part, that's just a bunch of baloney. Legalized MJ is NOT going to save the economy. :doh:

Legalized MJ is NOT going to save the economy. :doh:

I don't know man. It might not save it, but it would certainly help. There is a LOT of money to be made by taxing MJ. Just think of all the $ that is generated in taxes on tobacco.

Basically, my stance as well.

Me too. I have never smoked it, but I do not have a problem with it. Like MattFancy mentioned, alcohol is more dangerous in a lot of situations IMO. I have seen a lot more people do stupid things when drunk than when stoned.

I support the first part, just because I don't believe the gov't should prohibit you from smoking MJ if you choose to do so as an adult, but on second part, that's just a bunch of baloney. Legalized MJ is NOT going to save the economy. :doh:

It might not, but it might make you not care as much.

2uLQOYtpZsA

And so it begins...

We should be seeing the widespread legalization in the next 20 years.

I think sooner than that. It would be funny to see that weed is what gets USA out this economic hole.

I don't know man. It might not save it, but it would certainly help. There is a LOT of money to be made by taxing MJ. Just think of all the $ that is generated in taxes on tobacco.

How much is raised off tobacco taxes anyway? Anyone got any hard numbers for both state and federal taxes? It'd be interesting to see. I certainly think MJ taxes would be significantly less, however, since people could still grow their own (as many are already doing), and share with their friends.

to be honest, while I support this. I think they should legalize industrial hemp 1st.

Give our farmers something to grow that they would make a lot more money off of. Fill those fields, and start making products here in the United States with the material. Clothing to start. It could really help jumpstart middle America.

How much is raised off tobacco taxes anyway? Anyone got any hard numbers for both state and federal taxes? It'd be interesting to see. I certainly think MJ taxes would be significantly less, however, since people could still grow their own (as many are already doing), and share with their friends.

I believe that federal tax is $1.01 a pack of cigarettes and state taxes are as much as $2.75 a pack. Similar taxes for cigars.

Edit: Here is a link from March 2009

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/taxes/2009-03-31-cigarettetax_N.htm

to be honest, while I support this. I think they should legalize industrial hemp 1st.

Give our farmers something to grow that they would make a lot more money off of. Fill those fields, and start making products here in the United States with the material. Clothing to start. It could really help jumpstart middle America.

It's crazy isn't it? It's the equivalent of non alcoholic beer, yet you need several federal permits to grow it.

It has so many uses, possibly even fuel.

It's crazy isn't it? It's the equivalent of non alcoholic beer, yet you need several federal permits to grow it.

It has so many uses, possibly even fuel.

Its so stupid.

people think kids are going to sneak into these fields and try smoking it. They'll get the same results from smoking Wheat.

Archived