Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Senior Bowl thread

redskins021

Jarrett Brown does not have good accuracy. He was wildly inconsistent once he got his chance to start. There were a couple games he was dead on with every throw and other games where he would miss wide open easy throws. His pocket clock is terrible, which led to a lot of the sacks he gave up, and he is average at best extending the play. Finally, at times, he seemed lost reading coverage. I never saw him lock onto a WR, but he missed a lot of guys open on down-the-field routes at times and chose the check down or underneath guy.

Anyone who drafts Brown higher than the 6th round is not getting value for the pick at all. Having the tools and applying them consistently are 2 different things.

I really hadn't seen him play. The reason why I said he had good accuracy is because he looked pretty good in the practices.

He looks good.

My sleeper pick is Jarret Brown. He has an arm and has pretty good accuracy.

I mentioned Brown in another QB thread before the draft started.

I think he's a good developmental QB to look at 4th round and down.

What i like most about him is his throwing motion and arm strength.

Its nice and compact and he keeps the ball and his elbows up.

But he is still very raw after only having 1 year as a fulltime starter.

If he goes to stable team with a good plan and gets to sit and learn i think he could be a good player.

But, then again you coud say this for any QB.

Its all about the situation.

I have a good youtube vid of Brown, if you want to see it let me know.

He didn't impress me in one on one drills but during the 11 on 11 drills he was doing pretty well. He cause several incompletions. So maybe I'm changing my mind on him. He just looked bad in one on ones but looked good when playing with a whole team.

It's a pretty good sign when Mayock is pointing him out and I think he even called Thompson one of his sleepers. Looks like people are on to this guy though.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=55976

I just finished watching the North's Senior Bowl practice in Mobill. According to Mike Mayock and Corey Chavous, two cornerbacks stood out, Cal's Syd'Quan Thompson and Boise State's Kyle Wilson. Wilson looked the most impressive, he's really quick out of his breaks and seems to have such a terrific feel for coverage, particularly the short routes.

Chavous raved about Thompson's toughness and both commentators said he might be the best tackling corner in the country. His flaw is speed, something the 49ers desperately need in the secondary. Thompson, however, does have return ability. NFL draft scout is high on Thompson, believing he's a first- or second-round prospect. It would surprise me if he went in the first round. Wilson is listed as a third or fourth-round guy, but he could go higher.

Here's an interesting fact. It's a list of all Skins players who participated in the Senior Bowl from 2005-2009.

Year Round Number Pick Current Franchise Name Full Name Position College Team

2005 1 9 9 Washington Redskins Carlos Rogers DB Auburn

2005 1 25 25 Washington Redskins Jason Campbell QB Auburn

2005 4 19 120 Washington Redskins Manuel White RB UCLA

2005 5 18 154 Washington Redskins Robert McCune LB Louisville

2005 6 9 183 Washington Redskins Jared Newberry LB Stanford

2005 7 8 222 Washington Redskins Nehemiah Broughton RB The Citadel

2007 6 5 179 Washington Redskins H.B. Blades LB Pittsburgh

2007 6 31 205 Washington Redskins Jordan Palmer QB UTEP

2008 2 17 48 Washington Redskins Fred Davis TE Southern Cal

2008 3 33 96 Washington Redskins Chad Rinehart OT Northern Iowa

2008 6 2 168 Washington Redskins Durant Brooks P Georgia Tech

2008 6 20 186 Washington Redskins Colt Brennan QB Hawaii

Here's an interesting fact. It's a list of all Skins players who participated in the Senior Bowl from 2005-2009.

Year Round Number Pick Current Franchise Name Full Name Position College Team

2005 1 9 9 Washington Redskins Carlos Rogers DB Auburn

2005 1 25 25 Washington Redskins Jason Campbell QB Auburn

2005 4 19 120 Washington Redskins Manuel White RB UCLA

2005 5 18 154 Washington Redskins Robert McCune LB Louisville

2005 6 9 183 Washington Redskins Jared Newberry LB Stanford

2005 7 8 222 Washington Redskins Nehemiah Broughton RB The Citadel

Wow. That 2005 class. What was going on in the draft room that weekend?

I posted this in the other Senior Bowl thread:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=7260643&postcount=19

Cough...Jacoby Ford.... Cough

I know I am partial But a lot of people focus on just Spiller and forget Ford is faster!

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2010&genpos=WR

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...ns-jacoby-ford

The NFL has been buzzing this season over the speed of one Chris Johnson.

Clemson senior Jacoby Ford will likely supplant Johnson as the fastest man in the NFL next year.

Ford has guaranteed a 4.2-second 40-yard dash at the NFL combine and ran a 4.126 in high school.

No, that's not a typo—it's just ridiculous speed.

Clemson's standout receiver had the opportunity to compete at the Beijing Summer Olympics but turned down the chance in favor of football. Last March, Ford won the national championship in the 60-meter dash and was a mere one-hundredth of a second shy of the NCAA record in that event.

It's nearly impossible to question Jacoby Ford's speed, and NFL scouts generally don't. However, speed doesn't automatically convert to ability on the football field. That's the very reason that Ford's participation in this Saturday's Senior Bowl is so important.

The speedster needs to prove that he can run high-quality routes, a hole in Ford's skill set that NFL scouts often point to as his single greatest weakness. Although Ford has excellent hands and above average blocking skills, he needs to perform well in the Senior Bowl to prove that he can be more than just a blur down the field.

If Jacoby can successfully do that this Saturday, he may just sneak into the first round of the NFL draft and join teammate C.J. Spiller. With a good impression on scouts at the Senior Bowl, in addition to a record 40 at the combine, Ford will be getting some serious late first round consideration.

Who wouldn't want a guy faster than Chris Johnson on their team?

http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=184298

In 2008, he saw action in all 13 games. He recorded 55 receptions for 710 yards and four touchdowns, 18 rushing attempts for 96 yards, 21 punt returns for 62 yards, and 17 kick returns for 313 yards.[4] In February 2009, at the Virginia Tech Elite Meet, Ford ran a 6.52-second 60-meter dash, which was one-hundredth of a second shy of an NCAA record.[8] In March, he won the 60-meter dash at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships.[9] During the track season, he was again named an NCAA All-American, All-East Region, and All-ACC athlete.[6]

Prior to the 2009 season, the NFL Draft Scout ranked Ford as the seventh out of 310 available wide receiver prospects for the 2010 NFL Draft.[10]

In the Tiger's 40-24 victory over the Florida Seminoles on November 7th, 2009, Ford and C.J. Spiller became the greatest all-purpose duo in NCAA history (a record previously topped by Marshall Faulk and Darnay Scott of San Diego State).

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/p...ospect_id=2201

1/17 Update: Ford continued to be Clemson's big play receiver and ended his senior season averaging nearly 14 yards per catch. The quarterback play got more consistent as the season progressed and that helped Ford put up better numbers and led to a team high six receiving touchdowns. Ford even did a good job returning kicks when the opposition was too afraid to kick or punt anywhere near C.J. Spiller. Ford is probably a third round pick right now, but that could change when he blows away scouts with his 40 time.

Wow. That 2005 class. What was going on in the draft room that weekend?

The 2005 draft class is arguably one of the worst we've ever had. The only production we've gotten from it has been from our 2 first rounders, both of which have been pretty inconsistent.

This draft class probably pisses me off more so than others because instead of drafting Kerry Rhodes, Jason Brown, Brady Poppinga, Darren Sproles or Trent Cole in the 4th, we took Manuel White. :doh:

And on top of that, instead of taking Jay Ratliff in the 7th, we took Nemo Broughton. :doh:

Sigh.

I am intrigued by Joique Bell - RB from Wayne State.

He put up ridiculous numbers, albeit at the DII level, but he has impressed at the Senior bowl. He has shown good burst and has excellent size at around 6 feet and 220lbs.

I wonder if the skins can get him in the 4th, where i see he is projected, and plug him in because, given the history of Shanny's system, many RBs can thrive.

If he goes to stable team with a good plan and gets to sit and learn i think he could be a good player.

Could you post it? If we don't go QB round 1 we could look at a him later on.

I am intrigued by Joique Bell - RB from Wayne State.

He put up ridiculous numbers, albeit at the DII level, but he has impressed at the Senior bowl. He has shown good burst and has excellent size at around 6 feet and 220lbs.

I wonder if the skins can get him in the 4th, where i see he is projected, and plug him in because, given the history of Shanny's system, many RBs can thrive.

The sleeper running back that I have been hyping through the process is Pat Paschall. He is not playing in the Senior Bowl, but played well as a last second replacement in the East-West Bowl. The thing about Pat is that he reminds me of the type of back that Portis was when he was drafted out of Miami. He is a smaller back weighing in at 206, but is a tough runner that has no problem going between the tackles. He has excellent vision and is quick. My favorite part of his game is his pass pro as he takes great pride in it and it shows.

Tbufca7znJ4

I've watched Jarrett Brown play in every opportunity he's had, full time this year and whenever White was hurt. Let me tell you 1st hand the guy will never make it as an NFL QB. He has a cannon for an arm and can run fast (long strider) but he doesn't know how to read defenses and IMO is much worse than JC. JMO.

http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/1/2010_senior_bowl_practice_reports_-_day_3_waldman/

QB Tony Pike, Cincinnati: If you have a sweet tooth, you know what it is like to experience sugar cravings and settle on whatever was available at the nearest vending machine. While that first bite initially satisfied the initial jonz, you often find the experience left you empty, and wishing for what you really wanted.

I have a feeling there are NFL teams that have the directive to find a top-end quarterback prospect this year. Tony Pike is the one senior that comes closest to fitting that description. If a team is going to reach for a QB, it is becoming more apparent that Pike will be that guy. I have already talked about his issues dealing with pressure and negative plays in games against an elite college defense and in these practices. However, those who cannot spot the eye candy will hang onto Pike’s height, decent arm, and pedigree.

Rob Johnson was the ultimate eye candy QB, and like Johnson, Pike will have moments of goodness. In today’s practice, Pike showed nice touch and vision on a crossing route to Clemson WR Jacoby Ford where the Cincinnati QB waited until Ford reached the second passing window and then arced a timely pass just over the linebacker to the receiver in stride for a long gain. It was a good throw, but until he can demonstrate that he can climb the pocket effectively, this type of throw won’t be common for him. Pike is mobile moving left or right. So was Rob Johnson or, a more recent example, Matt Ryan. But neither of these QBs climbs the pocket well. Ryan might get better, but he regressed in this area in 2009.

In contrast, most quarterbacks could have beaten Dan Marino in a footrace, but there might have been no one better when it came to his mobility within tight spaces of the pocket. Give me that skill any day over a fleet of foot guy who can’t use it to truly create opportunities. Once again, Pike is an example of players who look good in the back end of a play that isn’t likely to happen with much frequency unless the get better with the techniques in the front end process of most plays.

RB LeGarrette Blount (Oregon): I sense if he dialed down his personality a few notches to play it safe here. Not that I think he was ever an exuberant guy, but this Boise State experience really forced him inward. Although a quiet guy in words, his game screamed power, athleticism, and instincts as a runner.
QB Jarrett Brown (West Virginia): The ball flies off his arm and he will challenge the defense downfield. If Pat White had Brown’s physical dimensions, there would have been no questions about his skill level. Brown might have been the most physically imposing QB there. His forearms could be mistaken for some of his teammate’s calves and he’s a broad-shouldered athlete with good height. He fumbled a lot of balls in the center-exchange, but I think his raw tools passed the eyeball test and it will earn him a chance to make a roster.

I've watched the guy play almost every snap, and he can't read a defense to save his life. Agreed that any QB coached under the right circumstance can turn out to be a winner, but Brown's decision making and internal clock are really messed up. He is an experiment at best.

This is the time of year when people forget less and less about what these guys did on the football field and start looking at how athletic players are. Brown's got a great QB frame, strong arm, but you have to look at the entire picture he painted. I just don't see this guy being good. He is another Jamarcus Russell at best.

I've watched Jarrett Brown play in every opportunity he's had, full time this year and whenever White was hurt. Let me tell you 1st hand the guy will never make it as an NFL QB. He has a cannon for an arm and can run fast (long strider) but he doesn't know how to read defenses and IMO is much worse than JC. JMO.

Exactly.

Everytime he dropped back to pass at WVU, I was waiting to see some bad choice or event. He consistently missed reading the open down-field WR and hit the underneath who 50% was covered.

Looking like a QB and being one are 2 different things.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=NFL&columnid=203&articleid=34654

Wednesday is usually the final day of official practices for both teams at the Senior Bowl, with Thursday and Friday's practices typically being more walk-throughs. Wednesday's practices featured some great performances, and some that left something to be desired. Here are my notes from Wednesday's practices:

North Practice

Quarterbacks – It's clear now that Dan LeFevour of Central Michigan and Tony Pike of Cincinnati have moved ahead of Sean Canfield of Oregon State. LeFevour is a more complete quarterback, while Pike has a strong arm and is capable of making more of the throws that an NFL quarterback needs to make. Pike and LeFevour have both established themselves as second-to-third round picks, while Canfield's struggles this week has left him as a mid-to-late round prospect. The Beavers' lefty has had trouble both with arm strength and accuracy and has not improved his stock this week, but rather hurt it.

Running Backs – It was good to see Oregon running back LeGarrette Blount help to improve his draft stock this week. After being suspended for the majority of the regular season for punching a player in the opening game of the year, Blount has shown this week that he hasn't lost any of the talent or skills that many people saw in him when he was being projected as high as a second round pick back in September. Blount has done a good job carrying the ball between the tackles as well as being an active player as a blocker in the passing game. I wouldn't say that Blount will go in the first few rounds, but I think that he's re-elevated his draft stock and now stands a chance of being selected in the middle of the draft. Wayne State running back Joique Bell has helped himself this week and has taken advantage of the exposure that he has received down here in Mobile. He's not the fastest or quickest back, but he certainly has the talent to play in the NFL. Tony Sparano mentioned last night at the press conference that it is hard to scout running backs during practice because no one is going completely full-speed in team drills; you have to wait until the game on Saturday to fully evaluate the performance of the running backs.

Wide Recevers/Tight Ends – I think that most of the receivers here this week have helped themselves. Ohio's Taylor Price has had the best week, showing explosion in and out of his breaks, and has shown that he's capable of making acrobatic catches. He does a terrific job of catching the ball away from his body. Price could go as high as the second or third round after this week. Clemson's Jacoby Ford has shown his quickness and speed and has also done a good job as a punt returner this week. Missouri's Danario Alexander is a very large target, and it's even more apparent when you see him in person. He has the frame and talent to develop into a fine No. 2 wideout in the NFL. Cincinnati's Mardy Gilyard has had an inconsistent week. He's dropped too many passes, but he's also displayed his terrific athleticism as a receiver down the field. I still see Gilyard as a third round pick in this year's loaded draft. At tight end, Ed Dickson of Oregon has elevated himself to being the top senior tight end and has passed USC's Anthony McCoy. Dickson has terrific athleticism and is an underrated blocker in the run game. He could go as high as the third round as well.

Offensive Line – Mike Iupati of Idaho was the story of the week down here. His huge from with long arms has scouts wondering if he can move out to tackle. He struggled at left tackle yesterday, but he was moved to right tackle today, and it was really a night-and-day difference. He looked like a stud at right tackle, handling Arkansas State's Alex Carrington and showing the power and strength needed to hold up at the point of attack. Iupati's best fit is at guard, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was drafted to eventually develop into a right tackle. Outside of one play where he was absolutely flattened by Carrington, Arizona State offensive guard Shawn Lauvao has had a great week. Yesterday he handled Penn State's Jared Odrick with ease and he showed great power and strength with a firm grip today in practice. His upper body strength is excellent and it showed this week in pass blocking drills. One of the biggest disappointments of the week was Massachusetts' offensive tackle Vladimir Ducasse. Ducasse entered the week with a ton of hype, but lived up to absolutely none of it, as he was manhandled all week by opposing defensive linemen. He looked out of place and seemed lost at times this week. He's clearly a talented player with terrific athleticism, but he's extremely raw and will need to be coaching and polishing at the next level. He has starting potential in the NFL, but not anytime soon. The two offensive linemen from Notre Dame, center Eric Olsen and tackle Sam Young, both struggled this week and lowered their respective draft grades. Olsen showed a lack of strength on the interior of the line and Young was one of the worst offensive linemen on either roster this week.

Defensive Line – Michigan's Brandon Graham stood out over any of the other defensive linemen. He was explosive off the ball and showed great strength at the point of attack. He's a complete defensive end whose best fit in the NFL will come as a 4-3 end or as a 3-4 outside rush linebacker. Graham is a second-round prospect who could creep into the late-first with a great Combine workout. Alex Carrington of Arkansas State has had a great week of practice and has really elevated his draft stock. I mentioned on Tuesday on my site that Carrington reminds me a little of Jason Jones of Eastern Michigan from a couple of years ago. Both players are small-school types, same size at 6-5, 280 lbs as well. Jones plays end and tackle in the Tennessee Titan's 4-3 alignment, and I could see Carrington having the same type of success there as well. At defensive tackle, North Carolina's Cam Thomas had the best week of any player at his position. His strength on the interior of the line was outstanding and he showed that he's capable of penetrating the pocket against elite competition with ease. Thomas' stock is on fire and he could be a fast riser as we approach late-April. Wisconsin's O'Brien Schofield is clearly the one player that hurt his draft stock the most. He tore his ACL on Monday on a pass rush play against Vladimir Ducasse. For a player whose greatest strength is his explosion off the edge, Schofield's reconstructed knee is going to be a major concern for teams in the NFL. What he can hope for is that a team will draft him and stash him on injured reserve and let him develop and rehab for a year, kind of like a redshirt year in college football.

Linebackers – Missouri's Sean Weatherspoon was the talk of the linebacker group, both for his play and for his leadership; Weatherspoon was by far the loudest and most vocal player on the field during the North practices and you could see how his teammates were feeding off of his energy. I have Weatherspoon rated as a second-round pick. TCU's Daryl Washington showed athleticism this week and he has shown the that he has the tools needed to start in the NFL. Utah's Koa Misi was tried at both linebacker and defensive end this week, and it was clear that linebacker is his better option. He was overpowered by the big offensive linemen at end, however he did a pretty good job in coverage and showed that he's capable of making plays in space.

Secondary – No player helped themselves more this week than Boise State cornerback Kyle Wilson. The stud defensive back exhibited shutdown-type of ability, mirroring opposing wide receivers in and out of their breaks as well as down the field. Wilson is at his best in press coverage, however he's also shown that he can play off and zone coverage as well. Wilson has established himself as the top senior cornerback in this year's draft and has a realistic chance of going at the end of the first round. Two other players who really helped themselves were Virginia's Chris Cook and Cal's Syd'Quan Thompson. Cook has a tall frame at 6-2 and he's a smooth athlete who is capable of playing man-to-man coverage at the line. He was a bit of an unknown coming into the week but he's really helped himself out. Thompson is a shorter corner who gets by with his physical play; he's an active player in defending the run and is very instinctive in reading the quarterback's eyes and making a play on the ball. At safety, Notre Dame's Kyle McCarthy did the best job in coverage. He's a smart, instinctive player who is always around the football. He does a good job of reading that quarterback and trying to make plays on the ball. Of all of the defensive backs, I thought that Ohio State's Kurt Coleman struggled the most. He has stiff hips and didn't offer much of a challenge in coverage. He's more of a strong safety in the NFL than he is a free safety.

South Practice

The South practices have revolved around the play of Florida quarterback Tim Tebow. The first time that I saw Tebow was on Tuesday and he played well, even though I went into the practice with low expectations. Tebow's footwork has improved under center, but that's about it. On Wednesday afternoon I noted on Twitter (ShawnZobel_DHQ) that Tebow looked like a high school pitcher who was trying to throw the ball for the first time. To say that Tebow took a step back on Wednesday would be an understatement. I think that it's time for those in the media to stop talking about Tebow as a first round pick. Any team that would consider taking him in the first round would be taking him purely for his off-field help, and not for his on-field skills. Tebow currently has the arm of a second-to-third string NFL quarterback; it's going to take at least two years of development for him to become a better quarterback. Now as for the rest of the South squad:

Quarterbacks – West Virginia's Jarrett Brown has put on a show this week. His quick release reminds me a lot of Philadelphia Eagles' quarterback Michael Vick's. He snaps the ball in his delivery with terrific velocity and a tight spiral. While he may need some development to become capable of starting in the NFL, Brown certainly has the talent needed to do so. You could definitely argue that Brown is a better pocket passer than his former teammate Pat White was when he entered the draft last year. With team's becoming more athletic in the NFL, Brown should find a home in the middle of the draft. Zac Robinson is another project, however he didn't quite put up the type of production that Brown did. Robinson displayed the ability to throw the ball outside the numbers in addition to making NFL-type throws down the field. However he still has a ways to go, and I only see him as a backup quarterback at the next level.

Running Backs – Ole Miss' Dexter McCluster is the talk of the town in Mobile this week. The quick and explosive back has displayed outstanding speed and agility in the open field and has excited coaches who can't wait to figure out ways to get the ball into his hands. McCluster may be one of the biggest risers of the entire Senior Bowl and could end up going as high as the second or third round. Mississippi State's Anthony Dixon is an enormous back who has the combination of size, speed, strength, and agility that scouts look for in a starting running back in the NFL. Many expect him to go in the second or third round as well. Among the other running backs in attendance, USC's Stafon Johnson looks a bit rusty after suffering the freak weight room accident that he had earlier in the year.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends – Among the receiver group on the South Team, The Citadel's Andre Roberts has been the most impressive. His explosion and quick-twitch play has been evident as he's raced by defensive backs all week. Roberts is a great fit as a slot receiver in the NFL and he also has the ability to return punts as well. Roberts should go in the middle of the draft in April. Tulane's Jeremy Williams has the chance to be the next productive player from the Green Wave to enter the NFL, following in the footsteps of Chicago Bears running back Matt Forte. Williams is a quicker, more agile receiver who catches everything that is thrown in his direction. He projects as a No. 2 or No. 3 receiver for his team. Joe Webb, a quarterback from UAB, has had a slow transition to the receiver position, however he's shown the talent and potential that scouts are looking for. I mentioned yesterday on Draft Headquarters that Webb could potentially develop into being the next Antwaan Randle El or Joshua Cribbs, a quarterback in college who changed positions and became a successful wide receiver/returner in the NFL. Between the two SEC receivers here, Florida's Riley Cooper has stood out more than Ole Miss' Shay Hodge. Cooper who was Tim Tebow's go-to option on the outside, projects as a possession receiver in the NFL. Hodge is a smooth athlete who runs crisp routes and has the potential to develop into a nice No. 3 or No. 4 wideout in the NFL. Hodge isn't quite on the same level as former Rebel receiver and current Pittsburgh Steeler Mike Wallce, but he isn't too far behind. At tight end, Miami (FL)'s Jimmy Graham has been one of the most impressive players in attendance and has clearly out-played USC's Anthony McCoy. Graham has the speed and agility needed to stretch the field vertically, and with his massive frame, he gives the quarterback a large target to throw to down the middle of the field.

Offensive Line – I personally think the most impressive offensive lineman this week on the South team has been Alabama offensive guard Mike Johnson. Johnson has excellent upper and lower body strength and he plays with terrific leverage. He did a great job against Tennessee's Dan Williams on one play, in which he completely neutralized Williams as a pass rusher. I have Johnson currently rated as a second round pick. Both LSU's Ciron Black and Ole Miss' John Jerry had a good week; both players were tried at tackle and offensive guard and both had success at each position. I think that each player is worth taking in the fourth-to-fifth round. The two players who struggled the most this week were West Virginia's Selvish Capers and Arkansas' Mitch Petrus. Capers came into the week as one of the top pure right tackle prospects, however he left much to be desired and may have slipped from the late-first to early-second round to the third round. Capers looked extremely raw and out of place at times and was consistently beat to the outside. Petrus is a player who lacked strength and was bullrushed consistently, and often didn't hold up well. He was likely the lowest-rated offensive lineman that was in attendance this week.

Defensive Line – The two players who impressed me the most on the defensive line for the South squad were both teammates in college: Georgia's Geno Atkins and Jeff Owens. Atkins was an absolute stud this week and is by far one of the top pass rushing defensive tackles in this year's draft. His explosive burst off the ball along with extremely quick hands makes him a terror for an opposing offensive lineman to deal with. Atkins elevated his draft stock from the middle of the draft to as high as the late-second round. Owens is a far bigger player than Atkins is a better run-plugger than Atkins is; however, he also showed nice agility for such a big player and brought visions of a little Warren Sapp to my mind. Tennessee's Dan Williams also had a very good week on the interior of the line. He exhibited elite strength and showed that he's capable of being a fire hydrant in the one-technique. Williams should be a second round pick in April. Out at end, George Selvie of South Florida had a productive week; he had a great play today in which he bull-rushed the opposing offensive lineman and knocked him right onto his back. Selvie was tried out at linebacker, which looked like a work in progress, but he displayed the pass rushing ability that scouts were hoping to see from him this week. I was impressed by the amount of strength that he has.

Linebackers – The linebacker group this week on the South team was definitely not the strongest portion of their team. South Carolina's Eric Norwood had a productive week and showed in one-on-one drills that he's capable of going right around blocking running backs and fullbacks. Cameron Sheffield was played at both linebacker and defensive end, and it seemed like end may be a more natural position for him at the next level. Both Miami (FL)'s Darryl Sharpton and Florida State's Dekoda Watson struggled this week, lowering their stock to late-round picks.

Secondary – Oklahoma State's Perrish Cox is the top cornerback and could be the team's top defensive back. He has versatility in the coverages that he can play and he has the speed and smooth hips needed to turn and run with the receiver. Cox breaks on the ball well and has the talent and tools needed to start in the NFL. I could see Cox having an immediate impact next season. USC's Taylor Mays has been heavily scrutinized for not having tight hips, however I think that is a bit overblown. Mays obviously isn't as smooth of an athlete as others, but I'd be very surprised if he was moved to linebacker in the NFL unless he ends up being a complete bust at the safety position first. Mays projects best as a strong safety in the NFL, where he doesn't have to worry as much about coverage, but rather making big plays in the running game, which is something that he is good at. Finding the right fit for Mays and putting him in the best position to succeed, and not forcing him into a system that won't fit his style of play, will be the best way to ensure that he has a successful career in the NFL. I mentioned on Twitter on Wednesday that Florida State's Myron Rolle is a more polished player than his former teammate Patrick Robinson, even after taking off one year from football to study at Oxford. Rolle's stock is hot and it's not going to go down anytime soon; he was one of the top safeties in college football when he was playing and certainly has the talent needed to be a playmaker in the NFL. What Alabama cornerback Javier Arenas lacks in size, he certainly makes up for in drive and intensity, as he plays the game with an edge. Arenas is a very physical corner out on the edge and surely isn't going to shy away from going up against a bigger and stronger receiver. While he likely will be more of a nickel or dime back in the NFL, it wouldn't shock me at all to see him develop into a starter because of his drive. He definitely has that "it" factor that scouts look for.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Senior-Bowl-North-practice-notes.html

MOBILE, Ala. — News, notes and observations from day one at the 2010 Senior Bowl.

Size doesn’t matter

I was a bit alarmed when Boston College center Matt Tennant tipped the scales at only 290 pounds at Monday morning’s weigh-in. But after watching him in practice later, he quickly made it clear he can anchor inside. Tennant is a flexible, technically sound kid who’s consistently able to get his hands under defenders on contact, sit into his stance and win as the low man. He’s a real Velcro player once he gets his hands on a defender and was one of the few offensive linemen to hold up inside.

Size does matter

AP

Idaho OG Mike Iupati (right, No. 77) helps clear a lane.

Idaho offensive guard Mike Iupati’s combination of length, power and athleticism makes him nearly impossible to disengage from once he gets his hands on you. He does a great job extending those 35-inch arms, sliding his feet through contact and staying on blocks in space. If there is a knock on Iupati, it’s that he still looks a bit sluggish off the snap when asked to get out of a three-point stance and will allow explosive defensive tackles to get under his frame. However, he’s simply too good an athlete not to improve quickly in that area. He just needs a little time to get used to playing with his hand on the ground.

Windy conditions don’t help

It quickly became obvious any time Oregon State quarterback Sean Canfield was asked to throw the football outside the numbers that he lacks the arm strength needed to consistently stick some necessary NFL throws. Canfield routinely one-hopped passes to his wide receivers throughout practice and struggled to spin the football through the winds at Ladd Peebles Stadium. Now, if you need a quarterback to throw the football accurately and on time inside the numbers, Canfield is your man. The guy was brilliant throwing to tight ends underneath. However, he looks really limited from a scheme standpoint at the next level. This wasn’t a promising first impression for Canfield.

Tough cover

One guy who really looks capable of separating consistently at the next level is Oregon tight end Ed Dickson. Dickson was really effective when asked to beat man-to-man coverage all day Monday. He does a great job dropping his pad level and accelerating out of his breaks underneath for such a big guy and couldn’t be covered at times in practice. Dickson has a tendency to put the ball on the ground, but he’s one guy who knows how to create for himself in the pass game.

Get out of first gear

AP

Missouri WR Danario Alexander

One guy who again failed to impress me was Missouri wide receiver Danario Alexander, who struggles getting off the line and into his routes with any kind of explosion. To his credit, Alexander does build speed as he goes and can be a tough cover down the field once he gets his wheels turning. But he wasn’t able to generate much separation Monday vs. off coverage, and I think he’s going to struggle even more today when asked to beat press.

He’s got a second, third and fourth gear

The most impressive wideout on the North side was Clemson standout Jacoby Ford, who consistently was able to generate separation all afternoon. Ford is a former track star with elite explosion and vertical speed and does a great job eating up cushion off the snap and driving cornerbacks off his routes. He was the one guy who really seemed to intimidate opposing corners in coverage and consistently was able to find the football quickly and adjust to the throw. Ford looks capable of creating big plays for himself any time he’s on the field and has the makings of a legitimate slot threat.

Up to the task

If there was one guy who was able to keep pace with Ford down the field it was Boise State cornerback Kyle Wilson. Wilson was brilliant, showcasing impressive fluidity when asked to turn and run, good patience and balance in his drop and was impressive any time he was asked to change directions and close on the ball. He was the one player who stood out at practice in the defensive secondary and has the type of athleticism and footwork needed to grade out as a potential starting-caliber corner early in his career.

The good with the bad

AP

Louisiana Tech DT D’Anthony Smith (No. 5)

There’s no denying that Louisiana Tech defensive tackle D’Anthony Smith has the initial get-off burst and lateral quickness to beat blocks inside, and he was able to dominate at times in one-on-one drills. However, during 11v11, where he doesn’t have as much space to operate, he isn’t nearly as effective and tends to be content to be blocked any time he sees the double team. He did a nice job on one occasion getting a good push on his bull-rush and finding the football behind the line, but for the most part, Smith has a tough time making plays when asked to work in tight areas.

Ugly start for the Golden Domers

Notre Dame offensive linemen Sam Young and C Eric Olsen both had days worth forgetting. Young looked heavy-footed and stiff off the edge and really struggled to keep his base down when asked to anchor on contact. Olsen, meanwhile, was slow to get his hands up and punch off the snap and simply lacked the type of lateral mobility to slide and mirror in space. I don’t want to crush either kid too hard this early in the week, but I can confidently say I thought there were more talented prospects at last week’s East-West Shrine Game than either has shown so far.

http://www.newerascouting.com/01/2010-senior-bowl-day-three-north-report/

NORTH PRACTICE REPORT – Wednesday

I saw a lot of big name coaches today huddling together watching the linebackers and defensive linemen. Interesting to hear what Super Bowl winning coaches discussed in relation to the players that could fit in their scheme. This was my final look at the North squad, as tomorrow they will be back in uppers, but I will still be in attendance.

OFFENSIVE LINE

-This unit has been struggling as a whole the entire week, and nothing changed today. Shawn Lauvao (Arizona State) looked like the smallest and weakest offensive lineman when I saw him on Monday, and today he furthered that opinion. He was absolutely trucked by DE Alex Carrington (Arkansas State) in a stunt drill. He has been getting physically overwhelmed all week.

-Vladimir Ducasse struggled more often than not today. The adjustment of speed levels from what he is used to is obviously giving him some serious issues. His feet get stuck in mud as he is engaged with the defender, and his punches looked weak today. Too many times I found him trying to recover after getting beat by the likes of Brandon Graham (Michigan) and even Austen Lane (Murray State)

TIGHT ENDS/WIDE RECEIVERS

-Ed Dickson (Oregon) really looked good today. He was catching the ball and going north in one motion, very smooth and looked better in space than some of the receivers. While he needs to put some bulk on, especially to his legs, I think he is going to be a valuable asset to an NFL offense.

-Jacoby Ford put on a show today after a so-so first couple of practices. His speed is as good as advertised and he was exploding out of breaks better than anyone I’ve put the eyeball on so far. He caught everything thrown his way and if that remains the case at the Combine and his pro day, Ford could slip in to the first round.

-Donald Jones (Youngstown State) was a late addition to the squad, and he looked overmatched. He dropped a few passes and struggled to get off press coverage.

RUNNING BACKS

-Another impressive day by LeGarrette Blount (Oregon). I overheard a pack of AFC West scouts commenting on his combination of size and speed. They were impressed how he finished runs and outran some of the defensive backs.

-Joique Bell (Wayne State) entered the week with a lot to gain considering he is coming from a Division II program. I liked the aggression he ran with but he struggled to locate the hole, just seemed a step behind speed wise.

-Lonyae Miller (Fresno State) did not stand out his first couple of days, but he had a nice showing today in the team drills. He made tacklers miss and showed some surprising burst once he got through the linebackers.

QUARTERBACKS

-Sean Canfield (Oregon State) cemented himself as the top signal caller on the North squad in my book. His arm strength is suspect, but he knows how to make up for it. He consistently throws a tight spiral and his ability to put the ball exactly where he wants to is a tremendous asset. I really like this kid and his future is brighter than Pike and LeFevour.

DEFENSIVE LINE

-This unit is clearly head and shoulders above the offensive line. Jared Odrick (Penn State) led the way in team drills, as he was nearly unblockable. He was shedding blocks well and I constantly found him in the backfield, re-directing a running back or forcing the QB to move in the pocket.

-Mike Neal (Purdue) gets off the snap well, but doesn’t do much when he is engaged. He got locked on to by Iupati a few times and showed nothing in terms of shedding the block.

-The Lions defensive line coach grilled D’Anthony Smith for getting knocked backward five yards in the double team drill. Smith gets overwhelmed by that kind of power, and he was non-existent in teams drills.

LINEBACKERS

-I saw Eagles Defensive Coordinator Sean McDermott following this unit around the field as if he were a kid looking for an autograph. He had to like what he saw in AJ Edds (Iowa). He displayed some quick feet in the bag drills and showed outstanding coverage ability. He flows to the ball and just has a nice feel for the game. Physical tackler that uses nice technique too.

-Phillip Dillard (Nebraska) was a factor against the pass as well, both in coverage and as a blitzer. He disguised a blitz to Canfield’s blind side and if it were completely live, he would have laid Canfield out right as he reached the rear end of his five step drop. He showed some nice ability in sticking with tight ends in space as well, pretty much the only one that stuck with Dickson.

-Justin Cole (San Jose State) was another late addition to the squad, and he is very raw. His ability however appears to be there, and he was night and day a different player in team drills from that I saw early in practice. Scouts and coaches love to see that kind of short term progression, responding to coaching is a big deal here.

DEFENSIVE BACKS

-Kyle Wilson (Boise State) had another impressive day and I think it is safe to say he is the best senior cornerback in this class. While he is not a big guy, he was just killing receivers at the line with his press coverage. He made Donald Jones look silly in the one-on-one drill which resulted in Canfield not even throwing the ball because of how bad Wilson roughed him up.

-I was very impressed by Chris Cook (Virginia) at cornerback. For a guy that stands 6’2, his hips are very smooth and he has very little wasted motion in his movements. His length makes him a big factor as a press corner and he made an outstanding interception where he under cut a route with perfect timing.

-Kyle McCarthy (Notre Dame) did not stand out earlier this week but he showed a lot of range today. While his speed isn’t there, he anticipates throws well and he can burst out of his backpedal. Made some nice plays on the ball in deep coverage.

WEDNESDAY’s WINNERS

Jacoby Ford – WR – Clemson

His speed was on an entirely different level than anyone on the field today. He got the ball in space a few times and simply made the defensive backs appear as if they were wearing bricks as shoes. He even beat Boise State corner Kyle Wilson on a deep route with plenty of separation for the QB to work with.

Chris Cook – CB – Virginia

Has outstanding length and strength which makes him a factor at the line. But he showed some nice hip movement and definitely has the tools to play corner at the next level.

WEDNESDAY’s LOSERS

Donald Butler – LB – Washington

Looked very weak in traffic today. When an offensive lineman got a clean look at him, he was completely overwhelmed and pushed back a few yards. With a guy that small, he needs to show more athleticism than what I saw today.

Donald Jones – Youngstown State

Didn’t show the speed or quickness. Couldn’t catch the passes in traffic. And his struggles to get off jam coverage was noticeably weak. With limited time to show his ability today, he certainly dropped the ball (pun intended).

http://www.newerascouting.com/01/2010-senior-bowl-day-three-south-report/

SOUTH PRACTICE REPORT – WEDNESDAY

Another big crowd on hand that followed Tebow around the entire practice. This was the last time we were going to see the south squad in full pads until the game on Saturday, so it was their last chance to impress the scouts, coaches, and general managers as most of them depart tonight.

OFFENSIVE LINE

-Some impressive play from Chris Scott (Tennessee) today. At 6’5 – 346 pounds, Scott clearly stands out among his fellow offensive linemen. He holds that weight on his massive frame and his footwork was better than I anticipated. He got a few looks at left tackle and more than held his own against speed rusher George Selvie. His long arms and powerful punch completely stop the momentum of the rusher and his balance remains throughout. I still see him on the right side at the next level but its nice to know he can hack on the left side in a pinch.

-Center Ted Larsen (NC State) is a very stout blocker from the center position and he showed a lot of strength, holding up well against Terrence Cody. He swings his hips in to the hole and keeps his man at bay. Under the radar guy that could be a starter at the next level.

TIGHT ENDS/RECEIVERS

-Shay Hodge looked brilliant today in almost every drill I watched him. He was making acrobatic grabs, getting two feet down near the sidelines, and running nice routes on all three levels. He is the kind of receiver that quarterbacks love to have as a security blanket.

-Jimmy Graham (Miami) had an up and down practice. His receiving ability is there, as he was catching nearly everything thrown his way. He made some nice adjustments to the ball at the last second and plucked the ball out of the air that was behind him. However the blocking portion of his game needs a lot of work, as he was driven back repeatedly with some inconsistent footwork.

-Another impressive day by Andre Roberts (Citadel) who is reminding me a lot of Steve Smith from the Giants. He is clearly the top route runner here and he made some tough catches in with a corner draped all over him.

RUNNING BACKS

-Roy Upchurch (Alabama) is a relative unknown because of depth chart concerns at Alabama, but he showed ability today. He consistently caught the ball out of the backfield, including a wheel route to the corner of the end zone where he made the catch of the day while getting two feet down before exiting the back of the end zone.

-Ben Tate (Auburn) is making an argument for himself to be considered the best power back here. He is running hard in between the tackles and the smaller linebackers are having a hard time stopping his momentum,

-Dexter McCluster (Ole Miss) with another big day from all over the place. He broke off the best run of the day, displaying explosion that nobody in this game has. He just flies by defenders, even the ones that have the initial angle advantage on him.

QUARTERBACKS

-I continue to be impressed by Tim Tebow (Florida). I can understand the issue with his long release, but I watched him closely and something came to mind. I think, on purpose, he is slowing everything down to ensure he gets his footwork right. This is the first time he has dropped back while making reads, and I think he is focused on that more so than his release. With time, his release will be worked on and quickened enough to pass in the NFL. He connected on several deep balls yet again and the zip he can put on the ball is the best I’ve seen this week. His progression is there and that’s all you can ask for right now.

-Zac Robinson (Oklahoma State) was very up and down today, much like his career in college. He was very accurate and confident with his underneath and intermediate passes, but his deep balls were wobbly for the most part. He also threw a few picks over the middle in the team drills after a couple of bad decisions .

DEFENSIVE LINE

-Terrence Cody is not an attractive player when he is standing around, but he is playing well in the middle. The thing about him is that he is a strong 370 pounder, not just a chubby body that gets knocked around. He constantly demands double teams and when he only has one blocker on him, he can clog up a lane (or two) with ease. 3-4 defenses are going to like him a lot.

-George Selvie (South Florida) had an up and down day but I think he showed some things to scouts that he absolutely had to. Everyone knew his explosion off the edge was there, but he showed a lot of hustle. His relentless motor aided him in getting to the quarterback when the speed rush didn’t work. I’d like to see more out of him in terms of rushing the tackle’s inside shoulder though. His ceiling remains as high as some put it a couple years ago.

LINEBACKERS

-Big day by Miami middle linebacker Daryl Sharpton. His speed is something that caught my eye, as he made it sideline to sideline with time to spare and he dropped in to deep coverage in a blink. At just 229 pounds, it is easy to question his physicality but he delivered some pops today which made a different sound than the other linebackers here. He is fighting an uphill battle because of his lack of size, but he plays a lot bigger than he is.

-Cameron Sheffield (Troy) has been spending a lot of time as a defensive end, but I think he shows a ton of promise as a 3-4 outside linebacker. He explodes off the edge and uses a nice straight arm to maintain separation between himself and the blocker. Those long arms are used correctly and when you see his comprehension of the technique combined with his athletic ability, he could be the next Troy edge rusher to make it at the next level.

DEFENSIVE BACKS

-Put the eyeball on Taylor Mays (USC) and Myron Rolle (Florida State) today. I want to like Mays because of the overall package he has, but he looks slower than every safety here by a wide margin. He has no anticipation ability and he spends too much time on the hashes. He loves to make the bone-jarring hits over the middle and it looks like that is the only thing ever on his mind. Rolle on the other has been a step or two behind mentally as well, which is to be expected. I like how he keeps his head on a swivel but I was hoping to see him make some breaks on the ball and he, like Mays, reacted to slowly to the ball in the air.

-Perrish Cox (Oklahoma State) had himself a day. He picked off teammate Zac Robinson twice in a matter of four plays, both of which had a high difficulty rating. He has the ideal body for a press corner and he needs to show scouts he can move well enough downfield. His hip movement was inconsistent but I think he has the potential to be a star if he can focus a little but more on his technique issues.

-Nate Allen (South Florida) is frustrating me a little bit. He is mirroring tight ends and receivers in man coverage, giving the quarterback a very tight window to fit the ball in to. But he is weak with the ball in the air, as he was not getting his head around and making plays on the ball. If he can learn to do that with balance, his ceiling is as high as any safety in Mobile this week.

Wednesday’s Winners

Perrish Cox – CB – Oklahoma State

Cox needs to have a strong pre-draft process to get his stock back to where it was in December. However a lot of that will occur in interviews because of the red flags that arise with his character. With that said, Cox showed premiere ability today with top notch ball skills.

Shay Hodge – WR – Ole Miss

As I said before, the hands and route running ability are NFL ready and he has the ability to be an immediate impact receiver. He showed tons of willingness to go over the middle to try and make the catch despite knowing the safeties and linebackers were about to deliver a pop.

Wednesday’s Losers

Eric Norwood – LB – South Carolina

Something seems off with Norwood down here. He has the thick frame to handle the physicality but he struggled to get off blocks in the live team drill. His feet were got stagnant in coverage, making him an easy target for QBs to pick on.

Patrick Robinson – CB – Florida State

At 190 pounds, Robinson is about the average size of a corner, but he lacks a power game. He was pushed around by Joe Webb at the attempt of press coverage and he was easily moved downfield by receivers when a fight for the ball was oncoming.

Linebackers – Missouri's Sean Weatherspoon was the talk of the linebacker group, both for his play and for his leadership; Weatherspoon was by far the loudest and most vocal player on the field during the North practices and you could see how his teammates were feeding off of his energy. I have Weatherspoon rated as a second-round pick.

Way to go 'spooooooooooooooooooon!

And who are you again?

Are you a scout?

This guy will never make it?

You can see the future?

Why don't you just tell us all the people that are gonna make it and save us all the trouble?

Like i said before he's a raw developmental QB.

Meaning he has things to work on before he'll reach the NFL level.

Very few of the spread QBs can read a defense that's one of the knocks against all the spread QBs.

I've watched the guy play almost every snap, and he can't read a defense to save his life. Agreed that any QB coached under the right circumstance can turn out to be a winner, but Brown's decision making and internal clock are really messed up. He is an experiment at best.

This is the time of year when people forget less and less about what these guys did on the football field and start looking at how athletic players are. Brown's got a great QB frame, strong arm, but you have to look at the entire picture he painted. I just don't see this guy being good. He is another Jamarcus Russell at best.

Its funny how fans throw around labels like can't read a defense get throw around these days. Despite QB X's stats he can't read a defense.

If you actually read my post i'm talking about Brown based on his potential. He has argueable the best throwing motion and the best arm at the senior bowl but he's raw because he's played in a spread and only gad 1 year as a fulltime starter.

If you don't see the upside that's fine, but please spare the psuedo scout nonsense.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=NFL&columnid=203&articleid=34654&pg=2

Quarterbacks – West Virginia's Jarrett Brown has put on a show this week. His quick release reminds me a lot of Philadelphia Eagles' quarterback Michael Vick's. He snaps the ball in his delivery with terrific velocity and a tight spiral. While he may need some development to become capable of starting in the NFL, Brown certainly has the talent needed to do so. You could definitely argue that Brown is a better pocket passer than his former teammate Pat White was when he entered the draft last year. With team's becoming more athletic in the NFL, Brown should find a home in the middle of the draft.

And who are you again?

Are you a scout?

This guy will never make it?

You can see the future?

Why don't you just tell us all the people that are gonna make it and save us all the trouble?

Like i said before he's a raw developmental QB.

Meaning he has things to work on before he'll reach the NFL level.

Very few of the spread QBs can read a defense that's one of the knocks against all the spread QBs.

Its funny how fans throw around labels like can't read a defense get throw around these days. Despite QB X's stats he can't read a defense.

If you actually read my post i'm talking about Brown based on his potential. He has argueable the best throwing motion and the best arm at the senior bowl but he's raw because he's played in a spread and only gad 1 year as a fulltime starter.

If you don't see the upside that's fine, but please spare the psuedo scout nonsense.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=NFL&columnid=203&articleid=34654&pg=2

Quarterbacks – West Virginia's Jarrett Brown has put on a show this week. His quick release reminds me a lot of Philadelphia Eagles' quarterback Michael Vick's. He snaps the ball in his delivery with terrific velocity and a tight spiral. While he may need some development to become capable of starting in the NFL, Brown certainly has the talent needed to do so. You could definitely argue that Brown is a better pocket passer than his former teammate Pat White was when he entered the draft last year. With team's becoming more athletic in the NFL, Brown should find a home in the middle of the draft.

• Today West Virginia’s Jarrett Brown had the best performance by a quarterback that I’ve seen so far this week. That isn’t necessarily saying a whole lot though… Once again Brown showcased his strong arm and while he tends to make his receivers work for the catch he was solid in 7-on-7’s. Brown also displayed nice touch and accuracy on a fade round. Brown is still raw but he should be a nice mid-round pick for someone as a developmental signal caller.

He has impressed some at the senior bowl-

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Practices/South-127.php

Archived