Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else suprised by the media's reaction to BDW being cut?

NoCalMike

Ya know, I am suprised the media wasn't all over the Skins FO for that move. Instead almost every article actually acknowledges that he wouldn't have been worth the money and his production didn't justify nearly that much. When he was cut, I was expecting the Skins FO to get lambasted regarding it, asking how we could let such an integral part of the D-line go. Hahaha, for once I am pleased.

Maybe "the media" was smart enough to realize what they'd look like, if they wrote an article about how mean, cheapskate (!) owner Dan Snyder was unfairly trying to squeeze money out of the worth-every-penny, $3.5M player, and the BDW can't get an offer better then min wage.

You can get away with predicting a 5-11 season for the Skins, because at the end of the year, nobody remembers your picks. But, if you make comments about what a player's worth, and then the market sets a much different value just a few days later, it's hard to hide.

Yeah, the party line in the media is that Snyder keeps trying to buy a championship, so when we cut a player we seem to need b/c he costs more than even our great need, it doesn't resonate.

Stray thought: it seems, though, that we should have worked harder to create a situation in which BDW could come back to us, sign a contract larger than he could get anywhere else (though less than $3.5) and still save face. E.g., have Snyder or Spurrier say to the press, "He's a good player, those stats last year were misleading. We just can't afford to pay him $3.5 million, but we'd be delighted to have him back at $2 million if he can't find a situation he likes better than here after he has a chance to explore his options."

Archived