Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I take back what I said about Snyder

WVUforREDSKINS

The late, great George Michael said "I know Dan and if most of the fans got to talk with him they would say "Hey this guy wants to win as much as I do""

But he'd make you call him Mr. Snyder still.

I think he's making the right decisions now, I just hope impatience doesn't get the best of him.

But he appears to be on the right track now- and this is not Marty 2.0.... Shanahan is too big. Allen is too big. Dannyboy has pie all over his face, and there is too much money at stake to be playing reindeer games.

We MIGHT suck next year, but at least the bull**** era is over. The pieces are falling into place and I'm pumped.

I agree - hell, you can see from my screen name I've been as loud a Little Napoleon hater as anyone...but I think he's finally TRYING to make the right choices...I've got a hell of a lot more optimism today than I remember in one LOOOONG time....

Let's just see how he handles his idle hands first.

I like the GM. I like the coach. I like the current hands off attitude...

But let's just make sure Danny boy really means it this time.

*cough*schottenheimer*cough*

So he isn't just a meddler, he is a liar too. You do realize that he has stated that he isn't as involved as fans feel.

Hiring Schottenheimer as coach and GM was an over-reaction to criticism. Do you really think that Schottenheimer would've succeeded here had Snyder not canned him? After Osaka, most fans had forgotten about him. Using your arguments, Snyder shouldn't have fired Norv Turner since he is the better coach (at least what he has done under AJ Smith).

Here is an essay I just wrote on Snyder:

Dan Snyder: Future Case Study at Harvard Business School on How NOT to Lead

From the brief knowledge I have gained about leadership in this class, I can confidently say that, of the leaders I know of in corporate America, Dan Snyder is the worst.

One of the key takeaways from Chapter 8 in Hard Facts is that “in many instances, organizations have failed because of excessive centralization and too much influence and control on the part of the leader” (Pfeffer & Sutton 3). Under Snyder’s leadership, the Redskins have failed. “Since Mr. Snyder bought the Redskins in 1999, the team has been to the playoffs only three times. It has had six different head coaches, has spent a disproportionate amount of money on expensive free agents and has traded away draft picks to acquire stars, many of whom have fizzled in Washington” (Albergotti). Much of that has to do with the fact that Snyder is trying to handle not just the business operations but also the football operations side of the business, where he is a neophyte. Few other owners in the NFL are as involved in the football operations side of the business as Dan Snyder; most successful owners, such as two-time Super-Bowl-winning owner Pat Bowlen of the Denver Broncos, are known for their hands-off approach in football decisions (Keim). As Peter Drucker stated, “Never try to be an expert if you are not. Build on your strengths and find strong people to do the other necessary tasks” (Karlgaard). Given Snyder’s heavy involvement in football operations, Snyder does not follow Drucker’s maxim.

Furthermore, Snyder falls short in several ways in terms of the characteristics of a Level 5 leader. One aspect that Snyder lacks is humility, which Collins finds in Level 5 leaders (Collins 68). It is a well known fact that Snyder has had “messy encounters” with other NFL owners—he once told a fellow owner to call him “Mr. Snyder” (Snider). Furthermore, another trait of a Level 5 leader is “getting the right people on the bus (and the wrong people off the bus)” (Collins 68). Snyder is known around the league for signing washed-up past-their-prime players such as Deion Sanders and Bruce Smith (Snider). Most importantly, Snyder has not created a culture of discipline, which is what Level 5 leaders do (Collins 68). He is known for spending recklessly, failing to punish players for bashing their coaches in the media, and showing a lack of patience with his coaches (Snider).

I feel what truly sets Snyder apart from other bad leaders, though, is that he has had eleven years to realize his mistakes and correct them. (Most bad leaders don’t have that much time). As evidenced by the Redskins’ recent 4-12 season, in which he continued his shenanigans (including courting coaching candidates while employing a coach, which is a big no-no in the NFL), Snyder continues to show why he is the worst leader in corporate America.

Archived