Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's have players, coaches, and others earn a nickname

Burgold

We have given nicknames and developed way to many cults for people who haven't achieved anything. Heck, we have fan clubs dedicated within minutes of a signing. I know some of it is tongue in cheek, but the reasons that the dirtbags never stuck like the Hogs wasn't only because the Dirtbags was a stupid nickname- It was because it was unearned.

The Redskins offense, defense, and their coaches have done nothing to rate a nickname. Let them earn it on the field. The only guys who have earned a name are probably Fletcher, Cooley, and Samuels (though frankly, I like the idea of calling Orakpo, "The Grinch" based on his comments prior to the Giants game.

But let the game, let success naturally create the nickname. They should be badges of honor.

I had to chuckle when Jim Mora was quoted as saying he wanted his O linemen to be "dirtbags". I was like, hell you can have 'em all!! LOL

The nickname thing is only a sign of the ridiculous need/want for many in today's society to "have it now"! True nicknames are earned. I can bared stand the players initials and number but would put up with it if people would just stop.

The "Cult of" crew is annoying as well, because it turns the message boards into nothing but labeling each and every poster into a subcategory that ruins every attempt at a decent g-damn conversation around here.......

We have given nicknames and developed way to many cults for people who haven't achieved anything. Heck, we have fan clubs dedicated within minutes of a signing. I know some of it is tongue in cheek, but the reasons that the dirtbags never stuck like the Hogs wasn't only because the Dirtbags was a stupid nickname- It was because it was unearned.

The Redskins offense, defense, and their coaches have done nothing to rate a nickname. Let them earn it on the field. The only guys who have earned a name are probably Fletcher, Cooley, and Samuels (though frankly, I like the idea of calling Orakpo, "The Grinch" based on his comments prior to the Giants game.

But let the game, let success naturally create the nickname. They should be badges of honor.

The Hogs were an unearned nickname. Good nicknames are ALWAYS unearned just remembered because they were lived up to.

What was the comment from Orakpo prior the Giants game? I missed that one.

I would call Fletcher the Lil'General....if he wants a nickname.

Devin Thomas nickname is showtime, he has a tatoo of that...I think.

But if we call Fred Smoot you have 100 nicknames for 50 guys on this team. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2007/11/fred_smoots_nicknames.html

You don't see a lot of D# or off. nicknames theses days. Maby it is old skool.

The "Cult of" crew is annoying as well, because it turns the message boards into nothing but labeling each and every poster into a subcategory that ruins every attempt at a decent g-damn conversation around here.......

Dude, that's my new sig.

What was the comment from Orakpo prior the Giants game? I missed that one.

Something about wanting to be the "Grinch that stole their Christmas"

Maybe it's just me. I think it's bad a bad symptom of this team that we keep giving them props before they've earned it. It's time to quit bequeathing. Regardless of who we get during the offseason, they are still that 4-12 team until proven otherwise and that includes Shanny and Allen.

That doesn't mean I won't have high hopes. I will. But I'm against holding parades and giving these guys added stature until they at least climb up to the basement.

This team often acts like it's a world beater when it has too often played like a door mat. So, no new Cult of... or Horny for Zorny or Area 51 for me not until there's something on the field that creates that moment that becomes their name.

Dude, that's my new sig.

Glad someone share's the sentiment.... I would consider the following if I believed in any of those silly names in the first place. :D

This team often acts like it's a world beater when it has too often played like a door mat. So, no new Cult of... or Horny for Zorny or Area 51 for me not until there's something on the field that creates that moment that becomes their name.

Archived