Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone ski'd Massanutten or Liberty recently

Slateman

I haven't gone skiing in forever, but since I'm home on leave I figured I would try and do some. Anyone been to either of these places in the last week or two? I'm usually disappointed by them, but maybe with the recent snowfall they'd be good?

Also, if not there, where else? I'm looking for something I can make a day trip to. I'm in Fairfax right now.

*rubbing it in*

haha. That is some gorgeous scenery, looks like a fantastic day too!

I've only skied twice, once was on Massanutten. I'm so novice I can't really tell the value of a ski slope, though I accidentally went one or two trips too high on the lift and almost killed myself (and a few others) getting down. I guess if the OP is similarly unskilled the draw would be in the scenery of the slope, or the atmosphere of the bars and other entertainment at the site.

Dammit, your pictures really make me want to go skiing again! :laugh:

haha. That is some gorgeous scenery, looks like a fantastic day too!

I've only skied twice, once was on Massanutten. I'm so novice I can't really tell the value of a ski slope, though I accidentally went one or two trips too high on the lift and almost killed myself (and a few others) getting down. I guess if the OP is similarly unskilled the draw would be in the scenery of the slope, or the atmosphere of the bars and other entertainment at the site.

Dammit, your pictures really make me want to go skiing again! :laugh:

same boat here, I've gone skiing three times now (always at Massanutten). I can go down on the novice slopes without seriously endangering anyone. But some of my friends tricked me into going on the medium level slopes one time, it stopped being fun after the third face plant.

I'm planning on going sometime in the next couple weeks. Hopefully there is still some fresh snow there.

The choice is between Wintergreen and Massanutten. Which is better?

I am completely biased, just to let you know, but choose Wintergreen. You can check out the website to make sure but I think they're 100% open now, and making a ton more snow every night. I've never been to Massanutten, because I've got Wintergreen 20 minutes from my house, but I think Wintergreen has a little more terrain (actually upon looking up Massanutten's trail map, Wintergreen has quite a bit more. Choose Wintergreen). Wintergreen also has a couple high speed detachable lifts to give you more skiing time and less sitting on lifts. Plus it's absolutely gorgeous up there.

129069189781573750.jpg

Go to Whitetail instead, much better than Liberty. It's the best it gets for a reasonable day trip from the DC area.

i always like liberty better, but maybe because i'm a novice and there are more trails at liberty to learn to ski. whitetail goes from bunny to straight terror for a first time skier.

Archived