Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Everything we do has always been overrated.

Rocky52Mc

Who is the first to go?  

319 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the first to go?

• Santana Moss
    • Chris Cooley
    • Jason Campbell
    • LaRon Landry
    • Antwann Randle El
    • Carlos Rogers
    • Clinton Portis
    • Other

Sometimes I come between a point and a click from starting one of these threads, and I usually don't. But I have a few opinions to share regarding our team and fans (like I usually do).

I believe almost every single off-season move that we have made since I can remember has been completely overrated when it comes down to it. And no I know what some of you fans are already thinking:

"Just because ESPN blasts them doesn't mean it's overrated!!!!"

not what I'm talking about at all. I think I can name every single situation and have come to a decent realization. It's kind of something I've been trying to avoid for a while, but our owner or ex-VP (whoever had more control in bringing in people, you and I really don't even know) was more like Al-Davis then you could ever imagine (except all our owner did was do what we wanted).

When you think about it every off-season we face a problem, and when that problem gets plugged, it's typically STILL a problem.

1. Big WR - Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Fred Davis, Marko Mitchell. Sure, our passing attack is probably slightly more lethal now but what in the hell? When have we ran an amazing fade and it worked? We're doing the same damn plays that we had when we ran with Santana, El, and Cooley. There's almost zero difference. Most of the redzone pass plays head to the TE over the middle of field. This is completely overrated.

2. Drafting a top notch SS. You can argue this move clearly...we were in good position. We needed a player to compliment our terrible defense from 2006. We needed a player to compliment Sean Taylor. We failed at first with Adam Archuletta. Ever since coaches have RAVED about this guy. I love him to death and hope the best for him. He's young. It looks like he has unlearned the tackling ability and is taking the whole "I just go out there, fly around and have fun playing football" approach to his head. On 15+ gains he is attempting to head knock balls out of people's hands. On neutral gains he's missing tackles. He approaches almost every block with a cut to people's legs. Is an underachiever when it comes to turnovers. You wish he could play like that and actually do something back there, but his game is SO off. Overrated.

3. Big arm QB over Noodle arm - This is probably the biggest one. And I do support Jason Campbell, but wow. This offense really goes deep, and that's for many reasons or what have you. Santana isn't fond of deep routes, it's a west coast, crap O-line. Yea, we didn't go deep last year either being 6-2. I've seen the west coast run for years, you can run deep. The first throw Jason ever attempted was a slightly overthrown pass to Brandon Lloyd at Tampa Bay. I thought that was supposed to be a show of what's to come. Overrated.

4. Resigning Ladell Betts long-term in 2006/ Never getting a 2nd RB - I mean just horribily overrated. Just terrible. Our team has ignored adding a compliment to Portis for years, it was never Betts, it just never was. It wasn't any RB who's ever been on this roster. It makes me angry to think about it, but we could have really used a real backup here and instead coaches stuck with this guy. Overrated.

5. Getting a pass rush - I know, I know, he's one of my favorite players too and a lone bright spot on this team. Brian Orakpo is awesome. He has 11 sacks as a rookie rushing part time. Carter has even picked up 11 sacks. You can argue the pressence of Haynesworth (more about this next). But remember the days where our defense was real good, except it had no pass rush? Well you can say we finally do have a pass rush and what now? We still get thrown on. Rogers has downgraded himself, Landry was already explained, ect. All it does is make the QB play faster and react more. Hit and miss with Jason Taylor. Jeremy Jarmon out for the year. Not saying you can do without, we need it, still overrated.

6. Getting a big DT - This has to be an extremely disappointing move. And believe me I understand football and the concept of Albert Haynesworth and his game and what he brings. His production is meant to be showed by others, it's not his stats that I'm argueing here. His attitude recently and since day one, his constant fall down and get back up thing that he does. The only other player I have ever seen do this was Clinton Portis during the 2008 season. But Albert Haynesworth is the combination of a slacker and a pissed off human. He's made good plays, but he's supposed to. He's the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. He's playing next to another good DT and Carter and Orakpo. They benefit him too believe it or not. Yet, all I get lately is complaints from this guy. He's not innocent, he's brought nothing more then disapointments and commercials because his fat ass won't get up. He's done this about 10 times, probably more if he played in those games he missed. Completely ****ing overrated.

7. Conclusion - These moves could actually work and still can with the right moves by our GM. In the past, we always plugged a hole and expected big change. It doesn't work like that. You must fill holes and then more holes and the holes that are still plugged. You shouldn't fill holes with big name free agents like we've done for years and years. All we've done here is made the same mistake over and over at every other position and it's getting pathetic. I'm expecting change, I want change. We need the draft we need picks. This is beyond Jason Campbell and Colt Brennan, this is beyond offensive line. This is coaching, this is people who are putting people in the wrong places. It's been happening for years and needs to end NOW.

I think that is the craziest thing. We as fans wanted all these thing because we thought it would make us better and they would fill in the missing pieces. But sadly, we're still the same team even though we've made some improvements. The only thing we haven't touched is the OL. I think that will be the big thing this offseason.

Well if you are going to be honest. Gettin a GM. Overrated. The detroit lions have a GM. Having a GM doesn't mean a thing if he isn't any good. Meanwhile just like all the moves in your OP, people will line up for new season tickets because we hired a GM. Overrated.

Lets see how he performs.

I have always said that as long as we don't have franchise QB in place, everything else is just window dressing. Every year we bring in big name players, people get excited, but end of season, we go nowhere. Repeat that year after year.

I am the guy that believes you need to draft top 10 QB every 4-5 years until you land one. Than, you would be SB contender for a decade. Rather have that than be mostly mediocre with flashes of playoff spot here and there.

Well if you are going to be honest. Gettin a GM. Overrated. The detroit lions have a GM. Having a GM doesn't mean a thing if he isn't any good. Meanwhile just like all the moves in your OP, people will line up for new season tickets because we hired a GM. Overrated.

Lets see how he performs.

A dangerous sentiment.

"Getting a GM" is not the answer to our problems, but getting the right organizational structure is a MAJOR step. Don't belittle that. 2009 was not for naught if we have truly taken that step, but more steps need to be taken for the process to be complete.

Dan needs to step back - or at least give full trust to the STRUCTURE and the GM in power.

If the GM fails to produce results in a few years, you replace the GM with someone else you will TRUST, and continue to TRUST the tried and tested structure.

The point is we have been an organization without competent leadership or even a good structure for success for close to 10 years. Having the right structure in place is the first step to getting back on track.

The point is we have been an organization without competent leadership or even a good structure for success for close to 10 years. Having the right structure in place is the first step to getting back on track.

Lets not forget history.

We had incompetent leadership since Gibbs I left. That was well before Snyder took over....and WE HAD A GM.

All this hoopla over a GM is overrated.

Vinnie being gone can't hurt, but it doesn't mean improvement. AND this wasn't a curse that just appeared when Snyder bought the team. We were dreadful before that.

Hopefully this is the decade of change. But the simple hiring is overrated.

I'm starting to REALLY see that its not the players as much as it is missuse by the coaches ie playing out of position Landry, Orakpo. Not allowing to be used in the reason they were brought here Albert Haynesworth, Jason Taylor. Let's not forget Fred Davis and Devin Thomas were being labeled bust by 90% of the people on this board and we wouldn't even know Fred Davis had Cooley not broken his leg (pretty extreme circumstanse to be allowed to get opportunity to play) so I say its the coaches, but hopefully Allen will cahnge this.

What people are going to have to understand is that it will take time to build a team. Time being more than one season.

Not having a salary cap will help because we can dump everyone at once. If the league happens to get a CBA in place with a cap we are in trouble. We would have to hold onto a few players just because of cap restrictions.

What people are going to have to understand is that it will take time to build a team. Time being more than one season.

Not having a salary cap will help because we can dump everyone at once. If the league happens to get a CBA in place with a cap we are in trouble. We would have to hold onto a few players just because of cap restrictions.

This team has been rebuilding since 1992, am I correct? We understand it takes time, we're not using this time wisely.

Archived