Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins can go no lower than 9th

hitmandm

Wanted to update the draft scenario and its importance with tonight's Chicago win. Chicago was a 5 win team and since it won tonight, that means the Redskins can draft no lower than 9th.

If Chicago had lost, there was a very real possibility that with a win in SD, we would have picked 10th. Imagine such a dismal year and picking 10th?

The move from 10th to 9th is significant. It equates to roughtly a 4th round draft pick. It may mean more if we are to get the QB we want in the draft.

I know all you OLers want to draft a OL with pick 1, but Im here to tell you we are not drafting an OL with Shanny coming here. He won his SBs with a #1 overall pick and spent a first round pick on Cutler, so I doubt he is turning over the offense to Brennan without a franchise QB on the bench just so he can have 1 Offensive lineman. Regardless if you have a point, resign yourself to getting a QB (Clausen, Bradford or Mallett) in next years first round draft, unless we are totally screwed.

9th doesn't cut it.

We need a top 3 or 4.

It would probably help our team tremendously because we wont have to trade draft picks to move up and get the guy we want. Hope for a loss in SD and then pray like hell for next year. I think this team can turn it around quick with a franchise QB and OL in rds 2 and 4.

It would probably help our team tremendously because we wont have to trade draft picks to move up and get the guy we want. Hope for a loss in SD and then pray like hell for next year. I think this team can turn it around quick with a franchise QB and OL in rds 2 and 4.

We need a few things to happen:

1. Loss in San Diego

2. Some of the other crap teams to win....Cleveland winning Sunday would help.

I'd be down with the 5, trade down to 10 or somewhere around there and get a second rounder, pick up Bradford or Clausen, then get oline and bpa with the seconds.

I have seen the early mocks saying Bradford is going at 6 or 7.

Personally, I don't believe it. I think that is a bunch of bs, and he will go much higher.

3-4 sounds very realistic, depending on who is picking.

I know all you OLers want to draft a OL with pick 1, but Im here to tell you we are not drafting an OL with Shanny coming here. He won his SBs with a #1 overall pick and spent a first round pick on Cutler, so I doubt he is turning over the offense to Brennan without a franchise QB on the bench just so he can have 1 Offensive lineman. Regardless if you have a point, resign yourself to getting a QB (Clausen, Bradford or Mallett) in next years first round draft, unless we are totally screwed.

Good info, thanks for the post.

In regards to Shanahan drafting a QB- dont forget he drafted Brian Griese in the 3rd round.

Unless he makes a trade for Cutler, he is going to draft a QB, the question will be which one.

A question for the " draft the Oline crew"...............

Does Okung, or Campbell fit the proto type lineman that Shanahan likes ????

A question for the " draft the Oline crew"...............

Does Okung, or Campbell fit the proto type lineman that Shanahan likes ????

I think so.

I may be wrong but Shanahan likes to use zone-blocking for running, which is better for more "finese" lineman, which Okung is sometimes labeled as.

I have seen the early mocks saying Bradford is going at 6 or 7.

Personally, I don't believe it. I think that is a bunch of bs, and he will go much higher.

3-4 sounds very realistic, depending on who is picking.

According to -

http://dcprosportsreport.com/2009/12/2009/11/files/mockdraftdatabase/nfl.html

The concensus has Bradford going to us with the #6 pick.

But who knows.............

Let's root for a solid outing at San Diego, hope Orakpo gets 4 sacks and breaks the rookie sack record, and we lose by 3 or 6. Then this season wouldn't have been a complete bust. :/

No chance. The chargers are built around the screen to both punish blitzers and to keep them at bay. Don't expect much of a pass rush at all unless we somehow get way ahead. If the game is close expect the same run/screen/PA to keep us off balance and make us pay for bringing pressure.

Chargers are one of the few teams that playing sound football and not blitzing actually works against. If any week we are to play our bland defense we usually do it is this week.

Also Bradford was never pressured in college. When he was he got injured. He spent most of his career from shotgun and never dealt much with a pass rush. I mention this because a huge part of success in the nfl is the subtle pocket movement and behind our line is not where I want to find out if the guy has pocket awareness or not.

There are a few sure things in the draft. The Rams will take Clausen or Bradford. The Lions or the Chiefs will take Okung. We will not get Okung.

actually we can go no lower then 7th...as of right now the only team we lose a tiebreaker with in the 3-9 draft slot is Seattle.- Hailskinsnyc

How do you know when next weeks games arent played and those figure into the winning %. Are the numbers that skewed?

I may be wrong but Shanahan likes to use zone-blocking for running, which is better for more "finese" lineman, which Okung is sometimes labeled as.

Zone blocking utilizes the smaller sized linemen who tend to fall in the draft due to their lesser size which enabled Shanny to pick Olineman in the lower rounds and make them into servicable players.

Okung is a mauler who fits the franchise LT mold more than any OT in this draft as he is absolutely dominant in pass protection and could easily fit into Shanny's plans.

Assuming he is coach he may be inclined to take a QB but if he doesn't like any of the guys after Claussen I can see him going DT as I am pretty sure he collected Dlineman at Denver although more via FA but rest assured he understands the importance of the need for studs on both lines.

There are a few sure things in the draft. The Rams will take Clausen or Bradford. The Lions or the Chiefs will take Okung. We will not get Okung.

actually we can go no lower then 7th...as of right now the only team we lose a tiebreaker with in the 3-9 draft slot is Seattle.- Hailskinsnyc

How do you know when next weeks games arent played and those figure into the winning %. Are the numbers that skewed?

our opponents have 120 wins....raiders - 125....Bills - 124.

the closest to us are the Browns at 121....besides Seattle

our opponents have 120 wins....raiders - 125....Bills - 124.

the closest to us are the Browns at 121....besides Seattle

So if our 12 or so opponents win next week and the raiders or the bills 12 or so opponents lose, then we could draft 9th--not looking at individual games. Right?

Shanahan has taken a franchise linemen when presented with the opportunity though - see Ryan Clady.

I honestly think it just depends on who is on the board at the time and what Allen and the new coach grade the player at. At this point in time where our team is in need of so many positions, I can see the decision makers picking a Tackle or QB. Or even trade back a few spots and grab a player like a Joe Haden or C.J. Spiller and then take linemen afterward.

Shanahan has taken a franchise linemen when presented with the opportunity though - see Ryan Clady.

I honestly think it just depends on who is on the board at the time and what Allen and the new coach grade the player at. At this point in time where our team is in need of so many positions, I can see the decision makers picking a Tackle or QB. Or even trade back a few spots and grab a player like a Joe Haden or C.J. Spiller and then take linemen afterward.

After he has taken a franchise QB he will draft a OL. I fully expect him to draft a OLT-all things equal- with our first pick in 2011 if we get a QB this year. And Shanny isnt too fond of drafting RBs in the first round.

According to this chart we have a 58% chance of drafting #5, 30% chance of #4, 7% chance at #6, 2% chance at #7, <1% chance at #8

6, 7 or 8 would be Bullets luck. We're drafting #5 - maybe we get lucky and move up to #4.

http://playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfldraftorder.html

I'm not liking the QBs in this draft so far - Bradford or Clausen. I think we need to stock up the OL and find a Campbell replacement elsewhere. Shanahan knows how to draft linemen and he will get a good RB in the middle rounds. Portis is history I'm afraid.

Although its possible that we pick a QB in the first I think it very very very far from a lock. Shanahan or any other coach in their right mind isnt going to choose one just for the sake of doing so. If he is thinking the same as many others that there isnt a QB worth a high pick then dont be suprised if we go OL or even another position... Seriously, who wants to spend a high first rounder on a QB who may not be better that what we have now?

This first round pick has to be an all pro caliber player at whatever position he plays!

According to this chart we have a 58% chance of drafting #5, 30% chance of #4, 7% chance at #6, 2% chance at #7, <1% chance at #8

6, 7 or 8 would be Bullets luck. We're drafting #5 - maybe we get lucky and move up to #4.

http://playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfldraftorder.html

I'm not liking the QBs in this draft so far - Bradford or Clausen. I think we need to stock up the OL and find a Campbell replacement elsewhere. Shanahan knows how to draft linemen and he will get a good RB in the middle rounds. Portis is history I'm afraid.

Dude...that website is awesome. Thanks for the valuable post. But if youre right about where we pick, what OL will be there that warrants that high a pick? I bet the house that The Lions and Chiefs who draft above us will take Okung. I hate the LTs that climb the board late...like Branden Albert and the top 10 LTs from last year. I see no other LTs that warrant a 4-7 pick in this draft.

No one will trade up unless they want a QB.

I dont see how we dont draft a QB, being in obvious need of one.

Although its possible that we pick a QB in the first I think it very very very far from a lock. Shanahan or any other coach in their right mind isnt going to choose one just for the sake of doing so. If he is thinking the same as many others that there isnt a QB worth a high pick then dont be suprised if we go OL or even another position... Seriously, who wants to spend a high first rounder on a QB who may not be better that what we have now?

This first round pick has to be an all pro caliber player at whatever position he plays!

Perhaps. I think the only people who like JC are the Redskins fans who like him. We tried to trade him last year and nobody would give us anything for him. I can only say he has regressed this year by showing no ability to throw the ball downfield.

I think its a lock. QB this year round 1 unless someone drafts both Clausen and Bradford ahead of us. Then I would think we might trade down for Mallett.

Archived