Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why hiring Shanahan is a bad idea

Fish434

Much of my comments are pilfered from http://fireshanahan.blogspot.com.

Forgive me for not being able to handle quotes on posts, but I'm so sickened by the prospect of hiring a celebrity coach who will continue keep our beloved Franchise mediocre for the next five years -- regardless of who the players are.

Shanahan had seemingly tolerable years in Denver. But these years were marked with more than a few late season collapses.

2002: 6-2 start, 9-7 finish

2003: 5-1 start, 10-6 finish

2004: 5-1 start, 10-6 finish

2006: 7-2 start, followed by two losses and later futility

2008: The Broncos become the first team since divisional play began in 1967 to possess a three-game lead with three to play and fail to reach the NFL playoffs.

In nine seasons post-Elway, Shanahan won ONE playoff game and ONE division title. I'd like to expect that we can do more in the next nine years.

Shanahan fired five defensive coordinators. Every time the defense didn't work, he blamed someone else for the problem.

Stefan Fatsis wrote about the Broncos in A Few Seconds of Panic (great book). As per one book review:

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2009/jan/31/sports/chi-0131-a-few-seconds-of-panicjan31

"Then there’s Mike Shanahan. His recent dismissal as Broncos coach, general manager and emperor of all things football stunned many NFL observers, but Fatsis’ dead-on insights foretell it. Even as Shanahan attempted to humanize the training camp experience with barbecues and bowling parties, many Broncos came to view him as an autocrat, remote and imperious, unwilling to level with them on where they stood. A coach who loses his team’s trust eventually loses his team, and Fatsis tellingly describes the early stages of the process."

Finally, let's point out that, from Shanahan's perspective, it's win-win. If he succeeds, he cements his legacy. If he doesn't, the world will blame it on Dan Snyder.

So I plea, instead, to Mr. Snyder: Nice job in getting a real GM (on whom the jury is probably still out). But get a coach with better upside potential. Shanahan has had his chance and got fired for good reasons, and is not the answer. (Get Russ Grimm, if he'd come.)

ok cool, so we will keep zorn then. u happy? 8-8 now 4-10

cool. sweet! im with you man!!!!!!!!!!

Zorn has been making chicken salad from chicken feathers. Cerrato ignored the offensive line, and that snowballed into the crap we have.

Could Zorn do better next year if he stuck around? Maybe. Probably not. The team needs a fresh start with a new coach. Whoever he is, he'll need an offensive line to make it work.

Some of you simply won't be happy until we get a coach who can go 19-0 each season for 358 consecutive years.

But Zorn needs to go.

Just saying.

people talking about how ex super bowl coaches have never won a super bowl with another team and is a bad idea. first of all, they are getting this from the media. they probably heard it from some dude on espn and thinks it is cool to say.

what they dont understand is that those coaches have still taken other teams to winning records, multiple playoff apperances consistently and some have taken other teams to super bowl.

now i dont know about those who oppose bringing in an ex super bowl winning coach but i would take consisten winning record, playoff appearances and even a trip to the super bowl over 4-10 freaking record any day.

now i dont know about those who oppose bringing in an ex super bowl winning coach but i would take consisten winning record, playoff appearances and even a trip to the super bowl over 4-10 freaking record any day.

You're not gonna get it with Shanahan. If he's hired, say hello to 7-9 for the next three years.

plus shanahan does a good job with o-lines..... no matter what his record has been the past 10 years.... he somehow manages to turn nobodies into 1000 yard rushers (orlandis gary, mike anderson...) and consistently protect the QB.... tonight the redskins couldn't run or protect.

Besides if not shanahan, who else? no matter who the redskins choose, some people will find some reason why it shouldnt be him.... with shanahan its past history and if we hire a coordinator to his first HC job, it'll be inexperience....

It shouldn't be Shanny either. Just saying. I really don't want to say "I told you so" in 2012.

The only way I can get excited about Shanahan is if Kyle comes with him. I don't think we'll ever win a Superbowl with Shanahan and I think it'll be 3 or 4 years before he retires on us just like Gibbs did in his second stint. But if he sets us up well and Kyle is here with us as the OC, maybe he could grow into the HC job by the time Mike retires and we'll have some organizational continuity for once. Kyle's a good OC and QB coach. We can groom him in the way we failed to groom Zorn.

We need Shanny. Why? With Shanny you know Snyder will not be in on any decisions and it will all be on Shanny and Allen to build a team. Yeah I'd love to have the next joe gibbs, a yound unknown coach that will bring this team back from the dead but this team needs stability. Shanny and Allen can bring that to the redskins

To be fair, the AFC West has been pretty beastly over the last decade plus. Denver, KC, San Deigo and even Oakland have all been big time.

That said, I'm not psyched about Shannahan. But I'm not down on him either. Honestly, I don't really think there's anyone they could bring in short of Zombi Lombardi who would get me really pumped at this point. I'm like a chick that's been cheated on by her last three boyfriends.

Oh! The humanity. Two 10-6 seasons in a row? Two Superbowls in a row? How did the Broncos fans ever put up with this guy.

I mean geez, two 10-6 seasons in a row in DC would be like what? 20 years ago maybe?

its "what have you done lately", right or wrong... his end with the broncos was not good at least by what folks wanted. plus as the OP mentioned, minus elway, 1 playoff win. heck, norv pulled that off here. id much rather go after bill c.

You're not gonna get it with Shanahan. If he's hired, say hello to 7-9 for the next three years.

And how do you even know that dude...you're just pure speculation off of what someone else said cuz you have some bias against Shanny and don't want him here. I'm not saying I do or don't want him as HC, but you're not providing any facts other than to say "his" D's fell flat and even though the teams started off great didn't finish.

Well HELL, that's a lot better than 4-10 and losing to a division rival 45-12. Come back with something substantial before you blast someone who hasn't even stepped a foot in the building.

its "what have you done lately", right or wrong... his end with the broncos was not good at least by what folks wanted. plus as the OP mentioned, minus elway, 1 playoff win. heck, norv pulled that off here. id much rather go after bill c.

but still... explain who you think should get the job that will lead us into the playoffs over the next 3 seasons. the fact of the matter is whether we hire shanahan, a nobody, or pull vince lombardi out of the grave and let him have bill walsh and don coryell as assistants... its going to be a process. I'd rather have someone who is experienced and knows what type of players will fit his offense then some nobody using this as his first job. besides in denver... at some point, the players have to execute... you can't point the finger squarely on shanny.

I'd rather have someone who is experienced and knows what type of players will fit his offense then some nobody using this as his first job. besides in denver... at some point, the players have to execute... you can't point the finger squarely on shanny.

THANK YOU!!!

Fish you may wanna stop flopping around the message board and get back in your tank.

but still... explain who you think should get the job that will lead us into the playoffs over the next 3 seasons. the fact of the matter is whether we hire shanahan, a nobody, or pull vince lombardi out of the grave and let him have bill walsh and don coryell as assistants... its going to be a process. I'd rather have someone who is experienced and knows what type of players will fit his offense then some nobody using this as his first job. besides in denver... at some point, the players have to execute... you can't point the finger squarely on shanny.

he was the gm/coach so they were his players, his choices. they were his coaches he hired/fired. at some point the ax was gonna fall on him as he had no one else to blame for not getting much post season success.

as i stated, id go after cowher.

Shanny will be first to tell you he made mistakes. His taken some time to look at his coaching, evaluate the league and from all reports even go to other camps to "scout" other teams to see how he could do things differently. Coache's grow and evolve as well. the league changes year to year. We run a version of the WCO, so it's a fit. I think he can bring alot to the table.

Archived