Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Glenn Beck? Fact or Fiction?

seriously

Editorialism and journalism should be a game of trust, not a game of contortionism and catch me if you can. We should discover and trumpet lies or incomplete reporting when we find them, but it should not be the objective of a editorialist to get away with as much as possible. That is the problem with these modern sensationalists.

Ironically, one of the major goals of these sensationalists is to be proven untrustworthy because it feeds into the message that the media is untrustworthy.

The OTHER advocate would fact check

You could say both sides are competing for the truth

And they need to back it Up....or look foolish

Kinda like Beck.....if he lies....PROVE IT

We do prove Beck's lies. The problem is that his audience doesn't care.

This is why I really don't care for too much advocacy journalism. The REAL story can sometimes become lost in the mix. I am fine with hearing folk's op-eds, but you cannot base all news on this style of journalism, because it can sometimes regress into sensationalist yellow journalism.

The war as run by Westmoreland was definitely unwinnable. He had no strategy to take the war to the enemy.

~Bang

Thank you for this, it really helps my understanding of what happened, at least from a military perspective... I was always curious about the Vietnam War but did not yet take the time to get fully informed on it.

I have a question... edit - oops never mind you already answered it (why Cronkite or others did not try to influence a change of strategy)

Thank you for this, it really helps my understanding of what happened, at least from a military perspective... I was always curious about the Vietnam War but did not yet take the time to get fully informed on it.

I have a question... edit - oops never mind you already answered it (why Cronkite or others did not try to influence a change of strategy)

My pleasure. It's a fascinating subject, actually,, the horror of the war coupled with all the social change going on with the Civil Rights movement, topped off with the protests and anti war movement, AND the height of the Cold War,, the last half of the sixties really changed this country (and the entire world), in many ways for the better, and in many ways to the worse. We truly ended our age of innocence in a nasty ugly manner.

For me it was personal. I was a kid during the war, it was going on when I was born, and it went on until I was nearly 13. My parents were young. A lot of their friends were drafted. the guy who taught me how to throw a football went, and came home with no legs about six months later.

As far as i knew, Vietnam was a place you went when you were 18. I honestly thought it was something I would have to do.

And the thing about Vietnam.. it was on TV every night in living color. The reports from Dan Rather, Roger Mudd and others were immediate, and many times done in the thick of action. Throughout my childhood I saw it on the news every night. Scary stuff.. not nice cleaned up reports... dead guys, bombs, explosions, blood, screaming people.

Because of all the news coverage and film taken, there are really a lot of great DVD sets that chronicle the war.. many that are straight history, many are chronicled through the news reports.. which are riveting. You can see a lot on Youtube.. Here's a good one from CBS news about the

(pronounced "HWAY" for any that don't know).. absolutely stunning news coverage of an urban battle in progress.

~Bang

Because of all the news coverage and film taken, there are really a lot of great DVD sets that chronicle the war.. many that are straight history, many are chronicled through the news reports.. which are riveting. You can see a lot on Youtube.. Here's a good one from CBS news about the
(pronounced "HWAY" for any that don't know).. absolutely stunning news coverage of an urban battle in progress.

~Bang

Who needs shoddy journalism like that when you have Glenn Beck and his chalkboard.

Archived