Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Glenn Beck? Fact or Fiction?

seriously

Help me out guys, first I am not a party follower in politics. Frankly my education level inhibits me from really being able to see the sense in why there are different sides to trying to do the "right thing" in regards to our country.

Anyway, I watch this guys show from time to time on AFN here whenever I get a chance to see it. Honestly it is angering to see what is being talked about on this guys show in reference to details with our banks and financial institutes being "bailed out".

Bare with me on this, I do not pretend to KNOW a lot but so far it's sad if Beck is speaking the truth.

I think that most of the facts presented by Beck are true, but he tends to cherry-pick facts and oversimplify complex problems and issues. I don't think Beck is the problem, it's the viewers. He's not presenting the news, he's presenting his opinions about the news. People should put their "skeptical hats" on whenever someone is offering their opinion, but most of us fail to do so.

Glenn Beck is not a legitimate source of information.

This couldn't be any more on the money.

I won't call him a liar, but he is not a journalist- its opinion based on some of the facts- sorta like Madison said.

I'll call him a liar, because you can spread misinformation without telling a "lie", and you do it by not telling the full truth but instead you speak in half truths and you do so under the guise that you are presenting the whole truth, that is deception...i.e. a lie.

Glenn Beck is an entertainer that comments on current affairs. He is not a journalist.

Here's one site that reviews some of his commentary (aka misrepresentations and lies)

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/personalities/glenn-beck/statements/

That said, I've no idea what he said on the financial system bail out and whether it was accurate. Both political parties and most economists view the bail out of Wall Street (started by Bush and followed through by Obama) as a "necessary evil" that if it had not happened would have led to a collapse similar to the Great Depression.

Help me out guys, first I am not a party follower in politics. Frankly my education level inhibits me from really being able to see the sense in why there are different sides to trying to do the "right thing" in regards to our country.

Your education level might not be that high, but this makes me think that you ain't no undummy.

And Glenn Beck is a guy who speaks, and a small portion of the population listen to him.

Yes he is. Its just the type of information you don't like hearing.

Glenn Beck editorializes throughout the course of his television and radio shows. Even Beck admits as much.

Do you like getting your information from people who are editorializing? Personally, I like to get my information from people who are trying to be objective, who refrain from crying repeatedly on air, and who don't pound their fists on the table when making a point. I like to get facts and form my own opinion, rather than relying on someone else to tell me what I should think.

Glenn Beck editorializes throughout the course of his television and radio shows. Even Beck admits as much.

Do you like getting your information from people who are editorializing? Personally, I like to get my information from people who are trying to be objective, who refrain from crying repeatedly on air, and who don't pound their fists on the table when making a point. I like to get facts and form my own opinion, rather than relying on someone else to tell me what I should think.

Who broke the ACORN story? Who was the first to report on Van Jones' communist party background and controversial comments? Looks like there was some good INFORMATION within those editorials.

Who broke the ACORN story? Who was the first to report on Van Jones' communist party background and controversial comments? Looks like there was some good INFORMATION within those editorials.

IMO, those are not particularly big stories. Sexy yes, important no. The National Enquirer has broken a few stories too ya know.

Beck tailors things for his audience, he has his niche but information is presented in such a way to appeal to certain people, just like Hannity Rush Maher and Moore.

Actually stories like the Acorn one prove there is an agenda, if this story had been above board then the full tapes would have been given to all new organizations who asked for them along with interviews.

You don't? So why do you watch MSNBC and read the Huffington Post if you don't like misinformation?

I don't watch MSNBC, and Huff Post is but ONE of the several places I look to get the day's headlines and it is the most Liberal one at that because I want to get their take, what's more is that I don't read the editorials on Huff or any of the other sites. But, then you either didn't think about that, don't care or don't believe me...either way I could care less.

Glenn Beck is a liar who misinforms his viewers on a regular basis, he, Hannity, Olbermann, and Rush should be removed from the air in the interest of national security because anyone who lowers the public IQ as much as these idiots is a threat to our nation as a whole.

I dont watch him at all, (though I really rarely watch any TV).

I understand that he most likely cherry picks info that supports his take (something I think all TV sensationalists and modern so-called "news people" do)

Are there actual "lies" that he has been busted in though? I'm asking out of honest ignorance. I really am not sure.

I tend to not trust sites like that much, they are often as biased as the people they are fact checking. That said, I wouldnt say that they are not accurate either, only that it doesnt really clear the air for me personally.

I'll have to read through in detail

Archived