Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A purely theoretical question involving ethics.

RIPSean

If you HAD to choose between the person you care about the most being executed (for example a significant other, child, mother, sibling, best friend, etc...) and 5 random, unknown people being executed, which would you choose and why?

I think I'd choose to have the 5 people executed, but I cannot really argue that that would be the "right" or moral thing to do.

I'd be interested in hearing ES's thoughts on this. This is completely theoretical and you will never have to make this decision, I just want to hear some opinions on it.

-Wandering mind who can't sleep.

Edit:

If you chose your person, at what number of people would that decision change at?

the classic Utilitarian vs. Altruism scenario.

If I had to be placed in such a scenario, I would choose the 4 people. Ethically speaking, this probably isn't the sound choice.

given another example, would I push a complete stranger in front of a train in order to somehow save the lives of 100 others? yes. that is pure utilitarianism.

I'd be willing to sacrifice alot more than 5 random strangers to save a loved one. Exactly what that number is, is unknown. Probably somewhere between 4 - 5 billion.

Wow, really 4-5 billion? That's pretty extreme. You'd lose about 2/3's to 3/4's of the other people you care about and wipe out the majority of the Earth. Was that hyperbole or is that how you feel?

Going on the assumption that my 7-10yr old girls were innocent also.

Personally i'd fight to either stop/kill the ones that were trying to kill my loved ones/innocent random people.

There is no scenario where you are forced to participate in the murder of other people.

I guess if someone was holding a gun to your head, you'd have to choose self preservation vs. the horrible game being played.

Being a parent and ex-Army I hope i would have the courage to stand firm.

I would hope those I love most would understand my choice to sacrifice them. If possible I would give my own life first...but I would save the 5 people with many tears in my eyes. They are somebody elses loved ones. I know what I feel, and I wouldn't force that pain on somebody else. I can't be that selfish.

Funny, I suspect many of us would risk our lives for those 5 people...yet at the same time we wouldn't let our loved ones take that risk or sacrifice. I would be so pissed if somebody saved me at the cost of 5 lives. I think most of my loved ones feel similarly...it's in or family values and life. Make your life worth something. I think it would be fairly cool if my life saved 5 others. I've lived a good life and ultimately my life is worth whatever comes from it.

I guess reading this thread my thinking is odd, but I still stand (or fall) with it.

Holy moly what a question. I think just being placed in that position would mean that society has already gotten weird and hellish. My knee jerk reaction I suppose would be to have the 5 strangers executed. I feel like a slimeball just considering any of it. :(

I don't think I would choose who I care about as much as who I am most responsible for. I have daughters, age 3 and 7. I feel more protective of them than I have anyone my entire life. Its not that I love them more than my wife, but I instinctively look to their safety before anyone else, including my wife.

I think this is a great point. What sort of society could survive if everybody treated everybody exactly the same way? There would be no bonds of family and friendship. At the cost of being equal one has to sacrifice some very socially important duties.

It's a very hard question to answer because social responsibility and equality are competing values.

For that reason I'd probably sacrifice the 5 instead... some number could probably change my mind... but it would have to be really large

Will my loved one know the circumstances? If so, and the random are executed, can you imagine the amount of guilt one would go through for being the reason for other people's death. I wouldn't want to put that kind of guilt on anyone.

Life isn't worth much if you can't live with yourself. I would hope that my loved one had enough compassion and respect for life that they would sacrifice themselves in a situation like this. What would this mean for me? I would very likely kill myself before making that kind of decision if I couldn't kill the people that put me in that position.

Archived