Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Purely Conjecture: Any chance Double G comes back as Coach?

Sweet Sassy Molassy

That's right, the man, the myth, the legend(?) Gregg Williams he's had a number of times to voice his displeasure with Dan and how things went down, and rightfully so. But he's been very diplomatic, he's even said that he wouldn't be opposed to coming back.

So, I throw this out there as pure conjecture with no real basis aside from the fact that he was once here, was the "anointed one", and seemingly the downfall (from all accounts) was Vinny.

So I pose this question to the ES constituency, do you see any chance in Gregg possibly making a return as Redskins, do you think Gregg would want to come back after what he's done and experienced with the Saints this year?

My opinion, I don't see Gregg coming back. I don't see him fitting our current system, if in-fact Bruce Allen feels the current path is the way to go. If it's a situation where he feels as GM that we need to go in a different direction, and start with a new coaching staff, Jason needs to be replaced and the defense for the most part stays, I could see Gregg Williams being a candidate, and a strong one at that.

I had this thought as well today. IIRC, it was Vinny who didn't get along with him, not Dan. With Gruden supposedly being tied to the booth and Shannahan now having to work with a GM rather than being the ultimate decision maker, it's a possibility they go this route.

I wouldn't mind him as a DC here, but I doubt that will happen. The Saints don't have much talent on the defensive side of the ball, especially in the secondary, where they are banged up. Their defense sure has been making more game changing plays than ours has this year.

I have no idea why you guys are so high up on Gregg Williams. He has failed as a HC in Buffalo and I see his defenses being overrated.
His defense didn't look so hot when we played them. I know they were missing some corners but he's gone and I don't think there is any real reason to look at him as an option.

Overrated, I don't know. He's taken a defense that was terrible, and while they are not the best, they make plays and are very aggressive. They have won games for that team, I don't think you can place all the blame in the flaws of the defense on Gregg either. He's a great motivator as well, and he's shown the ability to get the most out of his players, when you look at what he's done with a below average defense in NO, hell, when you look at what he did with a below average defense coming into Washington in '04. Arrogant? Yes. Sometimes to a fault? Yes. Overrated? No.

As an HC Gregg does have some concerns, but I don't think it's fair to say that just because he failed in Buffalo (though I'd say he did an ok job) he's done for. Situations are different, also things change and maybe he's learned and gotten better from those experiences. The only time you actually fail is when you don't learn from your mistakes. Bill Belichick failed in Cleveland, I don't see many Pats fans looking back anymore, say what you will about Tom Brady, but BB has done a damn good job up there in NE.

Archived