Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why do the Redskins get destroyed with injuries?

ChicagoRedskinsFan

I know injuries are part of life in the NFL. But does anyone else thinks it is ridiculous the number of injuries the Redskins suffer week after week? Even with the injuries to Portis and the o-line, our running game was doing pretty well recently. But now we lose yet another lineman and our backup RB. It's so disheartening when every game we are losing someone for the season.

Do the Redskins have more than their share of injuries or is it my imagination? I've been thinking this ever since 1996 when a 7-1 start was derailed largely because we had no one left to throw the ball to.

Why did this not happen to the Redskins of the 80's? Do we need new trainers? Or are the scouts not taking "injury prone" into consideration?

And yet despite all our injuries, it's missed field goals that keeps us from winning in big-D. I don't know what to think about this team.

Haynesworth is always one play away from major injury. He is poorly conditioned, and his body type doesn't really scream fit as a fiddle. He is good at clogging the lanes and drawing double teams, but he burns out quickly.

Haynesworth doesn't have anyone on this coaching staff (or front office for that matter) to push him to be better conditioned.

every team in the NFL loses guys over the course of a season. our front office stupidly relies on injury prone and older players and fails to provide adequate backups for them. our oline was going to get injured, it was a given. guys like portis who have been abused will be injured.

were no different than any other team.

Old roster, out of shape players and soft camp = rash of injuries year in, year out.

It all comes down to utilizing the draft and roster building.

Not our GM's strong suit.

the soft training camp thing is true too. i remember in TC time people were joking about how that would be used as an excuse if we started losing, but its true. the redskins culture is club med, not hard ass football. hopefully that changes with our new coach.

Every team has injuries. The Colts secondary is decimated. Dallas lost their starting RT. Miami lost their All Pro RB. Good teams have quality depth and can make do with backups and good coaching.

What he said.

There's no better example of why it is better to build through the draft than it is with high priced free-agents.

:anon:

I know injuries are part of life in the NFL. But does anyone else thinks it is ridiculous the number of injuries the Redskins suffer week after week? Even with the injuries to Portis and the o-line, our running game was doing pretty well recently. But now we lose yet another lineman and our backup RB. It's so disheartening when every game we are losing someone for the season.

Do the Redskins have more than their share of injuries or is it my imagination? I've been thinking this ever since 1996 when a 7-1 start was derailed largely because we had no one left to throw the ball to.

Why did this not happen to the Redskins of the 80's? Do we need new trainers? Or are the scouts not taking "injury prone" into consideration?

And yet despite all our injuries, it's missed field goals that keeps us from winning in big-D. I don't know what to think about this team.

same reasons why other teams get destroyed with injuries?

Every team has injuries. The Colts secondary is decimated. Dallas lost their starting RT. Miami lost their All Pro RB. Good teams have quality depth and can make do with backups and good coaching.
As a Colts fan I'm not upset by the injuries to the secondary. Bob Sanders is always hurt and getting to see a lot of Melvin Bullitt leads me to believe he wouldn't be a terrible replacement for Sanders. Both Jerraud Powers and Jacob Lacey have both done really well, by and large, in relief and I doubt we would have seen that if not for injuries.

I will, however, be happy when Kelvin Hayden gets back from his injury. Depth in the secondary will be very nice because one more injury and they're really depleted back there.

Archived